British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Enrolled in Health Marketplace issues (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/enrolled-health-marketplace-issues-830629/)

hoffage123 Apr 6th 2014 9:31 pm

Enrolled in Health Marketplace issues

Hi,

The missus managed to get enrolled in the marketplace by the 31st March deadline but it is asking her to prove our 5 Year old's income by 14th April.

When we filled in the income questions for him, we obviously put his date of birth and we also answered that he would not be filing taxes. It still came up asking for proof of income for him *smacks head*

It also asks for proof of income for missus as apparently their information doesn't match with what we put (which is missus is unemployed at the moment, as am I, so we have an income of '0' for 2014). We have a P45/letter for missus, so am not too worried about that.

I have uploaded a letter to the marketplace again explaining that five year is a dependent on missus's tax return and is Five years old therefore doesn't make any money.

You can't make this stuff up ...

Anyone else had similar issues?

Hoffage

rpjs Apr 6th 2014 9:51 pm

Re: Enrolled in Health Marketplace issues

Originally Posted by hoffage123 (Post 11207356)
Hi,

The missus managed to get enrolled in the marketplace by the 31st March deadline but it is asking her to prove our 5 Year old's income by 14th April.

When we filled in the income questions for him, we obviously put his date of birth and we also answered that he would not be filing taxes. It still came up asking for proof of income for him *smacks head*

It also asks for proof of income for missus as apparently their information doesn't match with what we put (which is missus is unemployed at the moment, as am I, so we have an income of '0' for 2014). We have a P45/letter for missus, so am not too worried about that.

I have uploaded a letter to the marketplace again explaining that five year is a dependent on missus's tax return and is Five years old therefore doesn't make any money.

You can't make this stuff up ...

Anyone else had similar issues?

Hoffage

Have you tried talking to a healthcare "navigator" that were set up to help people understand Obamacare?

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 6th 2014 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11207376)
Have you tried talking to a healthcare "navigator" that were set up to help people understand Obamacare?

I do sort of know someone who is one, seemed a thankless task. I have found the people on the phone line nice to talk with and as helpful as they can be.

Sally Redux Apr 6th 2014 11:41 pm

I packet of chocolate buttons a week :p

Michael Apr 7th 2014 1:43 am

Since it was a qualifying event (loss of previous coverage), I believe there is a 60 day window that someone has to sign up so I don't believe the March 31 deadline would have been a factor in applying.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 7th 2014 1:44 am

You just need to apply in March, can take Months to sort it out.

Michael Apr 7th 2014 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11207594)
You just need to apply in March, can take Months to sort it out.

Not if it is a qualifying event. Then you can sign up anytime within 60 days of the event which can be later than March 31.

Also ACA extended the signup for an extra week or two for people that claimed technical problems with ACA that didn't allow them to sign up.

Medicaid is year round sign up.