Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

An Englishman in New York

An Englishman in New York

Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Englishman in New York

Originally Posted by Englishmum
In NYC there is a British fish and chip shop (pretty good it is too - I love to sit at the window eating haddock, chips, curry sauce and a can of Boddingtons ):

A Salt & Battery Home
Decent fish, revolting chips. Won't go there again.

At Trader Joe's (there is a big one in Union Square) you can buy crumpets and English cheeses
Ooh that's a good tip! Been jonesing for crumpets lately, will try and get some this w/e. Ideally with butter and Bovril but Bovrite is a satisfactory replacement.

Also my wife reported that on a recent visit to her mum in South County, Rhode Island that the local Stop and Shop there had crumpets made in the in-store bakery! Sadly our local Stop and Shop in Greenburgh has yet to do this...
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You are possibly headed to a city that offers great examples of every cuisine under the sun, and you're worried about baked beans? Perhaps, with all due respect, NY isn't the place for you!
Meh. We've been deeply unimpressed in eating out in NYC - London was far better. We're about to head up for a long weekend in Montreal so we can have some decent food!
Old Mar 20th 2015, 4:30 am
Brit abroad - lawyer

nadine0895 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you need a friendly irish bar theyre everything and the next best thing to an english one. Plenty around time square. Good luck finding nice bacon, Ive been here 3 months and cant find any
Old Mar 20th 2015, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nadine0895
If you need a friendly irish bar theyre everything and the next best thing to an english one. Plenty around time square. Good luck finding nice bacon, Ive been here 3 months and cant find any
And there are a few English bars around too - The Cock and Bull on W 45th between Fifth and Sixth isn't bad.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Meh. We've been deeply unimpressed in eating out in NYC - London was far better. We're about to head up for a long weekend in Montreal so we can have some decent food!
Have to agree with this. The 'average' restaurant / eating place is just that, very average. You have to go to higher-end places (I.e. farm to table, organic/local producers, etc.) to get better quality food.

London has had a bit of a food revolution in the past few years.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:23 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
Have to agree with this. The 'average' restaurant / eating place is just that, very average. You have to go to higher-end places (I.e. farm to table, organic/local producers, etc.) to get better quality food.

London has had a bit of a food revolution in the past few years.
I definitely like the food here better than in London in general, and find it better value for money. I do miss a couple of weird things, Pizza Express for one, Wagamama (which is much better in Auckland than London anyway), although I can pop to Boston for this , and Indian Curry, although I found that much better in Manchester than London anyway (and Brick Lane Curry house in the east village fills that spot for me).

I agree that London has been getting much better, went to a great BBQ place up in Old street last time I popped back over there for the weekend.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Politekiwi
What's up with the milk and bread? Are cows that different over there? I've also heard that a lot of the import shops are closing down over there? Is that true?
The milk is homogenized, so doesn't need shaking before pouring. It lasts a few days longer than fresh milk in the UK, but I find it to be very drinkable, and in fact I like the fact the cream doesn't separate out. I find it starts to taste "off" 1-3 days before the use by date.

Most run-of-the-mill bread in the US is sweet - actually has sugar added. Unlike with milk I am not a bread connoisseur, so I find "low carb" (very low/ no sugar) bread to be perfectly adequate for toast and sandwiches, but that said US mass-produced bread is weird - lasts for months in the fridge without going stale or moldy. BTW I'm talking about fresh pasteurized whole milk "red top" 4%, not semi-skimmed 2% which is watery, nor skimmed "fat free" milk which is unpleasant and has a greyish-green hue.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 20th 2015 at 5:25 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...lasts for months in the fridge without going stale or moldy. BTW I'm talking about fresh pasteurized whole milk "red top" 4%, not semi-skimmed 2% which is watery, nor skimmed "fat free" milk which is unpleasant and has a greyish-green hue.
That type of bread will actually last for weeks (probably months) outside of the fridge without going stale / moldy. Fortunately, I can afford freshly baked, unsweetened bread (about $6 a loaf).

Agree on the milk, only the 'whole' milk is worth drinking.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Metoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been in NYC for a couple of months. Have eaten really well so far. If you like British style food go to any of the Irish bars, have had fantastic shepherd's pie, bangers and mash etc. Best fish and chips I've had here were from Alfie's bar on 9th Ave (somewhere around 52/53 street). Fantastic Indian from Sapphire near Columbus Circle.
As already stated the sliced bread is really sweet and revolting, buy artisan bread instead, can get from Trader Joe's. The Melt Shop is a great hangover cure, especially the fried chicken melt sandwich on sourdough.
The tap water taste revolting, and full of fluoride, I bought a counter top water distiller for chemical free water.
Be prepared to pay $7-8 for a pint of beer (at leat in Manhattan) but have some really nice craft beers.