Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

An Englishman in New York??

An Englishman in New York??

Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:05 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default An Englishman in New York??

Going to New York City in mid October. Have a buddy there I will be there for 4 days, so what's to see???

Ellis Island
Chrysler Building
Empire State Bldg
Statue of Liberty
Little Italy

Anything that is overrated, or a must see???? Advice please???
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:47 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: An Englishman in New York??

This question came up last week, so rather than re-write my reply all over again, may I refer you to this thread here?:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=york

(My reply is post #17).

Tip: Definitely go to the Buddha Bar in the Meatpacking District.....see the link and it's best to book a table *now* (you can always cancel it...but it's the hippest place in town, reasonable prices and the decor is just beautiful. The area around the restaurant is interesting too.

An alternative to the BB if it isn't of interest to you might be the 'Spotted Pig' gastropub in the West Village...a British chef from the 'River Cafe' in London is in charge of the kitchen....food v. interesting and good and of course decent beer! Place is v. small though so might have to wait for a table:

http://www.thespottedpig.com/

Yesterday I had to take my husband's 82 year old uncle and his 71 year old aunt into Manhatten as they're visiting from England (could have killed my husband as he was at work). They wanted to do the NY Waterways 90 minute cruise around Manhatten and enjoyed it even though it was raining.

Last Saturday night we went to the only revolving restaurant in NYC....the tower at the Marriott Marquis in Times Sq. It was a set price $50 + for a two course meal and a compulsory 18% tip...however there is a cocktail bar there on an adjancent floor where you can eat from a buffet.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:51 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Englishman in New York??

Originally Posted by lionheart
Going to New York City in mid October. Have a buddy there I will be there for 4 days, so what's to see???

Ellis Island
Chrysler Building
Empire State Bldg
Statue of Liberty
Little Italy

You cannot go up the Chrysler Building unless things have changed recently. It is all private offices.

Without having a clue what you like - Empire State Observation Platform (on a nice day), Central Park, particularly if there are any free concerts, Staten Island Ferry - free ride both ways, Guggenheim, Greenwich Village, Rockerfeller Plaza, The Palm Restaurant, The Monkey Bar, Smith & Wollensky, The Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station, Grand Central Station.......I could go on and on and on.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:15 am
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This question came up last week, so rather than re-write my reply all over again, may I refer you to this thread here?:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=york

(My reply is post #17).

Tip: Definitely go to the Buddha Bar in the Meatpacking District.....see the link and it's best to book a table *now* (you can always cancel it...but it's the hippest place in town, reasonable prices and the decor is just beautiful. The area around the restaurant is interesting too.

An alternative to the BB if it isn't of interest to you might be the 'Spotted Pig' gastropub in the West Village...a British chef from the 'River Cafe' in London is in charge of the kitchen....food v. interesting and good and of course decent beer! Place is v. small though so might have to wait for a table:

http://www.thespottedpig.com/

Yesterday I had to take my husband's 82 year old uncle and his 71 year old aunt into Manhatten as they're visiting from England (could have killed my husband as he was at work). They wanted to do the NY Waterways 90 minute cruise around Manhatten and enjoyed it even though it was raining.

Last Saturday night we went to the only revolving restaurant in NYC....the tower at the Marriott Marquis in Times Sq. It was a set price $50 + for a two course meal and a compulsory 18% tip...however there is a cocktail bar there on an adjancent floor where you can eat from a buffet.

Hope this helps!
Yeah I asked the question last week. I booked a table at Budda Bar.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:36 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
You cannot go up the Chrysler Building unless things have changed recently. It is all private offices.

Without having a clue what you like - Empire State Observation Platform (on a nice day), Central Park, particularly if there are any free concerts, Staten Island Ferry - free ride both ways, Guggenheim, Greenwich Village, Rockerfeller Plaza, The Palm Restaurant, The Monkey Bar, Smith & Wollensky, The Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station, Grand Central Station.......I could go on and on and on.
Architecture, history, art, food and booze mostly
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Architecture, history, art, food and booze mostly
My daughter loves to go to the museums when she is home. The Met is worth a visit....although its just full of old stuff.

The boat trip around Manhattan that Englishmum suggested is a great relaxing way to spend a sunny afternoon. The revolving restaurant at the Marriott in Times Square that she suggested is worth a visit too. We went to the buffett just before Christmas...watch the drinks...they charged $50 for a Grand Marnier.

You could watch the Yankees play at Yankee Stadium if you're into baseball.

TR Pardoe had some great suggestions too.

Go see Ground Zero and and the temporary memorial at Battery Park. Not that there's a lot to see at Ground Zero...but you've got to go there if you're in NYC.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 7th 2006 at 3:58 am.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Ellis Island
Chrysler Building
Empire State Bldg
Statue of Liberty
Little Italy

Times square ! ...... As you face north on a street to the right at the southern end there is a Mexican bar/diner, go in there and ask if they still have the $50.00 note I dropped on the floor in May 2000 ?
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:29 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I think Circle Line do the best boat trip - I think it's the only one that does a full circuit of Manhattan (3 hours) - and they sell beer on the boat. They also do a semi-circle cruise (1.5 hrs) which just goes round lower Manhattan and back. They go from a pier at 42nd Street on the upper west side, a couple of blocks down from the Intrepid museum, also worth a visit.

Don't forget that if you just fancy a trip across the harbour for nowt, the Staten Island Ferry is free and has a good view of the skyline, statue of Liberty, etc. It goes from next to Battery Park at the southernmost tip of Manhattan, a few mins walk from Wall Street and the WTC hole in the ground.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:19 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

What about a Broadway show?

There's a ticket place in Times Square that you can get cheaper tickets,get there early.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: An Englishman in New York??

Originally Posted by clydegirl
What about a Broadway show?

There's a ticket place in Times Square that you can get cheaper tickets,get there early.
The TKTS booth at Duffy Square in Times Square is temporarily closed as it's being renovated. It's now located at the Marriott Marquis hotel on W.46th St at the corner of Broadway and 7th Avenue.

To be honest, in the six years I've been here I've never managed to get decent seats from TKTS no matter what time of the day I've been there (my husband works in Times Sq. so sometimes we decide on the spur of the moment to see a show). This is in complete contrast to London where I've had fantastic seats for really cheap prices from their booth in Leicester Square.

I've signed up with TheaterMania and manage to get highly discounted seats in much better locations than anything I've ever had from TKTS.

Oh, the shame of admitting this, we had to take the elderly relatives to a Broadway show on Saturday afternoon last week, we ended up seeing'Beauty and the Beast' (had to grin and bear it but the rellies loved it). The seats were just seven rows from the stage and were only $50 each (discount of more than 50%). I've also had big discounts on other Broadway shows too:

http://www.theatermania.com (need to register to buy tickets).

There are always people wandering around Times Square trying to give away tickets for comedy shows etc. and TV recordings. Oh....and the naked cowboy has been replaced by a half 'naked' cowgirl posing with her guitar but never seems to play it ... a blonde young lady who is topless except for wearing some pasties on her nipples....my husband took a photo of her...!!! (If you pose with her you have to put $ tips in her cowboy boot).

I've got to go into Manhatten again on Friday, the rellies are on a coach tour of Niagara right now (bliss!) but arrive back in NYC on Friday evening and need assistance with their luggage....think I'll hit a cocktail bar first though LOL, possibly the rooftop bar at the Dreams hotel!

Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:11 pm

Thumbs down Re: An Englishman in New York??

Originally Posted by Terrier
Yeah I asked the question last week. I booked a table at Budda Bar.
Good! I hope you enjoy it. We sat at a table on the side of the restaurant close to where there is a large jellyfish acquarium (no they're not on the menu LOL!).

Do let me know what you thought of the place after you have been!

Just thought....if on the go and you just want a quick informal meal costing about $9 without having to book, try 'Republic' on Union Square; it's all Asian food (Chinese/Thai/Malaysian/Indonesian) noodles etc. and you just sit at long tables with everyone else.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Good! I hope you enjoy it. We sat at a table on the side of the restaurant close to where there is a large jellyfish acquarium (no they're not on the menu LOL!).

Do let me know what you thought of the place after you have been!

Just thought....if on the go and you just want a quick informal meal costing about $9 without having to book, try 'Republic' on Union Square; it's all Asian food (Chinese/Thai/Malaysian/Indonesian) noodles etc. and you just sit at long tables with everyone else.
That's what I miss about living in FL. The Asian grub is pathetic down here. Coming from the culinary mecca which is S.A., I miss it.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:51 pm

Thumbs up Re: An Englishman in New York??

Also forgot to add.....if you want to go to a genuine English fish and chip shop there is one in Greenwich Village and yes it is authentic. I was down there a few weeks ago enjoying haddock, chips and curry sauce and a can of Boddingtons. They do have about half a dozen stools so you can eat at the high counters next to the wall or window... they also have other soft drinks eg. Tizer.

http://www.asaltandbattery.com (but they don't have the BigD peanuts in packets on the wall LOL!)

They also operate the Tea and Sympathy tea rooms two doors down if you fancy tea, scones and finger sandwiches (not cheap either..)

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com

In between the two shops is their shop selling English toffees, Maltesers, Yorkie bars etc., tea leaves and bags, tea pots, biscuits, Union Jack items eg. toilet seat, aprons, in season Xmas crackers & stockings with chocs, Easter eggs etc. Again not cheap.

There are quite a few 'English' operated shops in the local area, one sells baby clothes with English/British comments, Myers of Keswick (English butchers) and Stella McCartney (Paul's daughter) has a shop not far away near the Meatpacking district.

http://www.myersofkeswick.com

There is a huge Ben Sherman's flagship store in SoHo (near Mercer St/Spring St) if you want men's clothes from the UK .

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 7th 2006 at 4:55 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:03 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

You could watch the Yankees play at Yankee Stadium if you're into baseball.
He'd be very lonely.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
He'd be very lonely.

I'll ignore that remark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.