British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Englishman married American - Any advice on visas and passports please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/englishman-married-american-any-advice-visas-passports-please-277225/)

paulecoyote Jan 13th 2005 9:15 am

Englishman married American - Any advice on visas and passports please?

Hi there,
I'm English, my wife is American. We married in April and are happily living in the UK. At the moment I just travel to see my inlaws on holiday using the visa waiver scheme. At some point we are thinking of moving back. My wife has about 16 months left on her 2 year visa before she will (hopefully) get granted indefinite leave to remain.

With that being granted, will she recieve an English passport too, or another visa in her American one? Should it allow her to move between the States and UK freely in the future should we decide to return and work again for a while?

Also I was wondering when I should start applying for a US spouse visa? We don't plan on living in the States for at least 16 months.

Many thanks,

Paul

Patrick Jan 13th 2005 10:45 am

Re: Englishman married American - Any advice on visas and passports please?

Originally Posted by paulecoyote
Hi there,
I'm English, my wife is American. We married in April and are happily living in the UK. At the moment I just travel to see my inlaws on holiday using the visa waiver scheme. At some point we are thinking of moving back. My wife has about 16 months left on her 2 year visa before she will (hopefully) get granted indefinite leave to remain.

With that being granted, will she recieve an English passport too, or another visa in her American one? Should it allow her to move between the States and UK freely in the future should we decide to return and work again for a while?

Also I was wondering when I should start applying for a US spouse visa? We don't plan on living in the States for at least 16 months.

Many thanks,

Paul

It took me 3 months from start to finish, I wouldn't even be worrying about it for another 10 months, then give yourself 6 months to dcf.

Patrick

paulecoyote Jan 13th 2005 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Patrick
It took me 3 months from start to finish, I wouldn't even be worrying about it for another 10 months, then give yourself 6 months to dcf.

Patrick

Excellent, I'll just keep travelling on holidays with the visa waiver then. Anyone know about my wife getting a UK passport, or will it be another visa after the probation 2 years is up?

Jess5377 Jan 13th 2005 11:23 am

Excellent, I'll just keep travelling on holidays with the visa waiver then. Anyone know about my wife getting a UK passport, or will it be another visa after the probation 2 years is up?

She will get an ILR visa when this one expires. To get a UK passport she will have to be on ILR for an additional yr and then apply if that is what she wants. I have heard the process is quite long and can take 1 yr.

paulecoyote Jan 13th 2005 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Jess5377
She will get an ILR visa when this one expires. To get a UK passport she will have to be on ILR for an additional yr and then apply if that is what she wants. I have heard the process is quite long and can take 1 yr.

Thank you, this forum is a real find... will try and keep in touch with it!

NC Penguin Jan 13th 2005 12:37 pm

Hi there,

Many thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to BE!

There are several US related visa forums, of which the US Marriage Based Visas would be most appropriate for you. Please read and search for relevant threads about applying for the I-130 by DCF in London.

As for when your wife would be eligible for a British passport, please refer the Home Office and Immigration site. There's bound to be information on the criteria for British citizenship.