Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Englishman killed by police, police face charges

Englishman killed by police, police face charges

Old Dec 15th 2022, 1:09 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Englishman killed by police, police face charges

The child of English and Kiwi parents was shot in his car, when the police faced no immediate threat. Probable mental incident from the 22 year old.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1671051407

Old Dec 15th 2022, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Englishman killed by police, police face charges

Idiots with guns both in and out of law enforcement. The issue is humanity (or lack thereof), shrouded in a childish notion of freedumbs.
Old Dec 15th 2022, 8:44 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Many American police officers are poorly trained and many of them should have never been given a badge and a gun. I suspect many of them were not screened psychologically before being hired. If I were still living in the US I would seriously consider NOT calling the police for help.
Old Dec 16th 2022, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Many American police officers are poorly trained and many of them should have never been given a badge and a gun. I suspect many of them were not screened psychologically before being hired. If I were still living in the US I would seriously consider NOT calling the police for help.
Sadly many police are psychopaths which ever country you are in.
Old Dec 17th 2022, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
As we’ve seen in the case of Sarah Everard, RIP.
Old Dec 17th 2022, 10:09 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I believe many police officers should be disarmed and only allowed to carry a taser because of the growing numbers of unjustified police incidents of use of lethal force to handle a non life threatening call for service. Certainly their is a need to have officers that are armed for serious incidents but not the average street cop. Gun violence has become a problem on both sides of the badge.
Old Dec 17th 2022, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I believe many police officers should be disarmed and only allowed to carry a taser because of the growing numbers of unjustified police incidents of use of lethal force to handle a non life threatening call for service. Certainly their is a need to have officers that are armed for serious incidents but not the average street cop. Gun violence has become a problem on both sides of the badge.
And nothing will change. With such a heavily armed citizenry, there is no way that police are going to go around unarmed. Every interaction with an individual - like this one - police have to assume the individual is armed leading inevitably to a lot of people being killed. It's part of the tragic "price" of the US's gun culture.
Old Dec 22nd 2022, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

kezza88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Feb 7th 2023, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Inspiron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
Just look at the UK, where I live. If they had routine guns, it'll be all over before you even spoke to them. Not just psychos, but fraudsters and cheats who misle their way into the Police force.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 11:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Many American police officers are poorly trained and many of them should have never been given a badge and a gun. I suspect many of them were not screened psychologically before being hired. .....
Well as Giantaxe pointed out, there is a significant risk of LE officers being shot, so personally I think you probably have to be at least a little mad to want to be a police officer or sheriff's deputy in America. .... A friend of mine transferred from Charlotte, NC PD to a smaller city near where he lived, and a year or two later, after three officer-involved shootings in a week (none involving him), he turned in his badge and gun, saying that with a wife and two children he didn't need to deal with that much craziness.
.... If I were still living in the US I would seriously consider NOT calling the police for help.
And to your point about not calling the police, there is some logic to that, as if you are under imminent threat of being attacked, or worse, even if you live in the urban center of a large US city there is little prospect of an officer showing up in time to save you.

Further out, there is no chance of LE showing up in time to stop an assault or burglary. Even in North Carolina where I live, the prospects of a sheriff's deputy showing up timely if I called 911 at night, is slim, as there are only a few deputies on duty covering the county of several hundred square miles.

Obviously in many US states there are both more sparsely populated areas and even larger counties. As the saying goes "When seconds count, help is only minutes away"; also "Nobody is coming, it's up to you!"

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 9th 2023 at 12:15 am.
Old Feb 9th 2023, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

There's also a saying, '.45.22,.300, .380 are all faster than calling 911.'
Old Feb 9th 2023, 9:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The child of English and Kiwi parents was shot in his car, when the police faced no immediate threat. Probable mental incident from the 22 year old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTTY...26CrimeNetwork

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1671051407

The man is obviously mentally unstable and ill. I can see that some officers tried to be calm and de-escalate, but why on earth did they break into the car? And does a group of officers with guns really need to shoot someone holding a knife five times?
Old Feb 9th 2023, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

They have no procedures in place for mental health crisis de-escalation. Just shoot if it gets too much for Mr policeman.
Old Feb 11th 2023, 3:27 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with not calling the police. At least until after the shooting has stopped.

There's also a saying, '.45.22,.300, .380 are all faster than calling 911.'

The reason that gun safety lessons were one of the first things that happened after I arrived in the US and purchasing several firearms happened shortly thereafter.

As Pulaski always says though, the chances of you being involved in a firearms incident, as a normal citizen who living in the suburbs, is vanishingly small.
Old Feb 11th 2023, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.