British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   English TV in the States (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/english-tv-states-658904/)

thechazman Mar 11th 2010 1:05 pm

English TV in the States

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to this forum malarkies, so bear with me if i ramble!

After living in Naples in Florida for the last year or so, I have started to realise is quite how much I miss my old British TV, especially as the average age around here is 150 years old, and having very little to do, I begin to wonder whats going on on Albert Square and such!

depressing thought really, but there you go.

Does anyone know of anywhere I might be able to get a connection to English channels? BBC, ITV etc?

Help a man with his boredom!

Cheers

Chaz

RalphJolly Mar 11th 2010 1:18 pm

Re: English TV in the States

I was using filmon until it stopped working for me.
Also interested to know if there is a free way of watching uk tv live or using the bbc/c4 playback website??
I currently watch everything through torrents.

thechazman Mar 11th 2010 1:28 pm

Yeah, FilmOn was always a bit sketchy, never managed to stay connected for more than 15 mins at a time.

Love torrents, but sadly my ISP slows my connection down to nothing every time after I download 1 torrent, no more for days after.

Somebody give me my Cora!:eek:

lansbury Mar 11th 2010 1:33 pm

If you use the search function you will find loads of previous threads explaining ways to do this. I watch BBC player and the ITV equivalent no problems.

penguinsix Mar 11th 2010 6:58 pm

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Televi..._Telly_related

Bob Mar 11th 2010 8:55 pm

What do you want?

Live or delayed?

Free/cheap or paid?

Best option is delayed, just download via torrents, but a decent VPN service will do and then use iplayer etc to stream the shows.

You'll need a fair bit of bandwidth to make it worth doing though.

If your ISP throttles your stuff, change, or if they're Comcast, there's a class action suite against them doing that.

But again, could try connecting through a VPN.

For direct downloads of Corrie and Enders, search out the couchtripper

Brat1 Mar 12th 2010 3:41 pm

I got the freevpn yesterday and it seems to work ok with bbc iplayer but channel 4 on demand kept stopping. Maybe there's something I'm missing to make it play ok but I'm not as technically minded as a lot of the others on this forum.

Drakule Mar 12th 2010 3:54 pm

these guys have been going for a few weeks now and seem to be here to stay .. all you need is a good vpn :thumbup:

http://www.seesaw.com/

agentpeppermint Mar 12th 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Drakule (Post 8415683)
these guys have been going for a few weeks now and seem to be here to stay .. all you need is a good vpn :thumbup:

we use my private network vpn and TVCatchup.com for live telly from the UK...we barely use it, but it comes in handy late at night when it doesnt buffer so much

Drakule Mar 12th 2010 4:36 pm

Just took a peek at catchup website ..its has all the goodies on there but just seen this post put up today

)

TVC_Mason
Admin & TVCatchup Staff Posts: 256

VPN Access: Important Updates At TVCatchup - Today, 05:07 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As all users should be aware, TVCatchup is currently available only to those located within the United Kingdom. As explained in our Terms of Service and elsewhere on the website, it is not acceptable to access TVCatchup from outside of the UK.

TVCatchup has always actively banned IP addresses associated with common VPNs, proxies and/or non-UK internet service providers.

TVCatchup has recently upgraded its IP security further, so as to filter out VPN services which allocate their users dynamic/individual IP addresses.

As our new system started monitoring traffic, the number of VPN services able to access TVCatchup gradually declined over recent weeks. In response, some VPN operators have attempted to re-locate their services and/or to regularly chage the IP addresses allocated to their subscribers.

To combat this, TVCatchup was forced on Thursday to impose a blanket ban across any IP address originating from any UK datacenter (i.e. where VPN services are typically hosted).

Following this ban, we are aware that a VPN operator located servers within the same facility as TVCatchup and, purporting to be associated with TVCatchup, emailed a number of our users, offering to sell them access to TVCatchup.

Such operator is not associated with TVCatchup. Thier VPN, like all others, was automatically blocked by our updated system within 24 hours of the service going live.

All users please be advised: Whilst using a VPN is not in itself prohibited, due to the large amount of non-UK persons likely to use a VPN, VPNs will likely be blocked within 24-48 hours. You should therefore not buy a VPN for the purpose of accessing TVCatchup.

:huh:

thechazman Mar 17th 2010 10:14 am

Why are the admins removing parts of this conversation based on Site Rules which I cannot reference to the issue?

What's the point in having a forum, if your going to monitor all communications, and edit what everyone says?

Sue Mar 17th 2010 11:51 am

Originally Posted by thechazman (Post 8426448)
Why are the admins removing parts of this conversation based on Site Rules which I cannot reference to the issue?

What's the point in having a forum, if your going to monitor all communications, and edit what everyone says?

Are you referring to the post above yours? If so it was removed as the member was using a post to advertise her website. We don't allow members to use forum posts to tout for business for their online stores, services etc etc.

I can leave the spam if you like ;)

BritBazaar Girl Mar 17th 2010 3:45 pm

My post was removed because I directed you to a link on my own website but yes, I agree, there is little point in a forum where you can't speak freely so, to circumnavigate the rules.....try looking at the telly it's not a dot com it's a dot net - they will sell a pass for a weekend or a subscription (which is what I have) and you can view all 83 UK free to view channels. I have a subs so can record programmes too....hope this message gets through to you and you are able to find what you need ...

Originally Posted by thechazman (Post 8426448)

veryfunny Mar 18th 2010 6:47 am

Thanks!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/FURIOU%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]I got a message saying I am not stationed in the UK, therefore I cannot watch the programs.

Originally Posted by Drakule (Post 8415683)

franc11s Mar 18th 2010 12:23 pm

I am probably one of the few that have no need for any monthly subscription, no VPN need, no bandwidth issues and can watch live or recorded. But you need help from someone in the UK for the best quality/bandwidth/flexibility :)

if you find that person, they also need a good internet connection. My niece uses the Sky internet Cable service and that gets them 3Meg uploads.

2. That same person needs to buy, on your behalf, a slingbox (UK version).

3. That same person, if they are on SKY+ can normally get a second SKY+ DVR box for free.

4. They connect the Sling, the SKY+ DVR to the internet and get them to set it up the first time by running the slingplayer software on their PC (there are other ways but it's SO easy for them to do it, takes 10 minutes).

5. They give you the user name and password and that's it, your done for UK setup.

Now from any PC anywhere in the world, you login to www.myslingbox.com account and add your sling box id and password through a MAC/PC browser. Or install slingplayer on your PC/MAC/Iphone) the sling player software on your own boxes (for better/easier control).

Using Sky, you can set the DVR to record either by going to the SKY TV guide and logging in to (your friends SKY account and registering that SKY+ box for remote record). Or you can install an Iphone app and browse the SKY TV guide and record from the comfort of your chair. Or you can do it the old fashion way by connecting the slingplayer to the sky+ box from the USA and just using the simulated remote control to search through the channels and press record as if you were in the UK.

I have 3 sling catchers that I picked up for $99 each and have them connected to 3 TV's in my house. I can watch UK TV, the entire UK SKY+ lineup from my US home any time I want. Live or recorded on the DVR. I even share the user id/password with my relatives in another state since they are 3 hours behind me and know they are not allowed to watch if I'm watching (which it warns them of when they try to connect :) ).

I also have another Slingbox in my US home that connects to my 2nd HD Comcast DVR. This enables me to watch my home DVR on any of those same 3 TV's without my having to buy 2 more Comcast boxes at $15 a month each so I actually save money :) kinda :) I can also watch EITHER slingbox from work or when I travel.

I also dropped my satellite in the car subscription (save $12 a month) as I can now also actually "LISTEN" to the TV news channels (Audio only) on my drive to work (CNBC or SKY news) or any of the hundreds of music channels on each through my AT&T Iphone which now supports sling player over their 3G network (since last month). Even though I now can, I promise, I do not WATCH TV whilst driving. That'd be suicide!

Because I know the bandwidth (upload in the UK) is more than fast enough for the sling (3 MEGABITS), I have virtually no hiccups in performance and it's just like having SKY+ piped to my US home. No blocks, no VPN and no monthly fees (thanks to the way my niece has it all setup).

The only other option I like is using the torrents but I used that years ago and the sling is now my preference because of the many options for playing back anywhere with no tech skills (my wife just watches it, no training :) ).