Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English Teaching Assistant wanting to Work as TA in North Carolina for a Year, HELP!?

English Teaching Assistant wanting to Work as TA in North Carolina for a Year, HELP!?

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Teaching Assistant wanting to Work as TA in North Carolina for a Year, HE

Originally Posted by Siobhan x
Thank you for for your support I'm sure it wasn't intentional but some of the posts did feel a little hurtful, I have always been so proud of what I have chosen to do with my life that it didn't occur to me that other people would think so poorly of it, or less of me for only being a Teaching Assistant and not a Teacher.
That's what I wanted to assure you about. People can tend to get tunnel vision about the immigration categories, and I'll assume generously that that's what people were commenting on.

As for an exchange this was one of the options I put forward to my boss but neither she or the local authority would support this option as they thought it would be 'too complicated'!? They were only happy for me to have a sabbatical with a set return to work date but reminded me what a privilege this would be for me as they have never even supported a teacher in this before, the thing is i really do realise how lucky i would be. I am a member of a professional body of Teaching Assistants who have no experience in this matter but pointed me in the direction of the USA government web site. It seems i may be a bit of a trail blazer . I am not in a union as I have never felt in the position where i would have needed one but i suppose if i do get to work away it would be a good idea, actually i think it may be a sensible idea anyway.
You'll have to do some fishing around, but there might be an exchange through a university program or a US teacher's group.. don't look at it from just one perspective. When I was doing a lot of traveling, I found there are lots of publications and programs geared at sabbatical type work like this. Be flexible and creative!

Oh i forgot to ask if there is a such a person as a visa advisors that people can talk to face to face to make sure they are on the right track?

Siobhan x
When the time comes, you can use approved agencies (for exchange programs etc) and/or, take a paid consultation with an immigration attorney. Be cautious of 'advisers' (and take what you read on line with a grain of salt or two ).
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:55 pm
You'e got to have a dream

Siobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to all
Default Re: English Teaching Assistant wanting to Work as TA in North Carolina for a Year, HE

Originally Posted by Marocco
There are, but they usually don't know anything about immigration laws. What you really need is an immigration attorney. Probably your best value for money would be to hire a US-based one for an online consultation.
Thanks Marocco

Siobhan x
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:04 pm

Siobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's what I wanted to assure you about. People can tend to get tunnel vision about the immigration categories, and I'll assume generously that that's what people were commenting on.

You'll have to do some fishing around, but there might be an exchange through a university program or a US teacher's group.. don't look at it from just one perspective. When I was doing a lot of traveling, I found there are lots of publications and programs geared at sabbatical type work like this. Be flexible and creative!

When the time comes, you can use approved agencies (for exchange programs etc) and/or, take a paid consultation with an immigration attorney. Be cautious of 'advisers' (and take what you read on line with a grain of salt or two ).
Hi,
thank you for your support and all of your good advise, I am so glad I found you all All of the posts have been helpful and i do feel focussed it may take some time to get my goal but Rome wasn't built in a day

Thank you all for even taking the time to look at my post let alone reply in an effort to help me, I really am very grateful x

Siobhan x
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for for your support I'm sure it wasn't intentional but some of the posts did feel a little hurtful, I have always been so proud of what I have chosen to do with my life that it didn't occur to me that other people would think so poorly of it, or less of me for only being a Teaching Assistant and not a Teacher.
I don't think anyone was trying to imply that. Every job involves some sort of skill. If you had posted your original post but were a teacher, the response you would get wouldn't be that much different that the one you got, there are some recent examples you can look at and see. The government has to draw a line somewhere as to what is a "valid" skill and what isn't and the market conditions for education in general is not good, even for people already in the country and able to work. Not to mention the differences between the systems of the two countries and even the differences between each school district in the US.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I don't think anyone was trying to imply that. Every job involves some sort of skill. If you had posted your original post but were a teacher, the response you would get wouldn't be that much different that the one you got, there are some recent examples you can look at and see. The government has to draw a line somewhere as to what is a "valid" skill and what isn't and the market conditions for education in general is not good, even for people already in the country and able to work. Not to mention the differences between the systems of the two countries and even the differences between each school district in the US.
I understand, thanks Duncan
Siobhan x
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Professional Qualifications, completely meaningless here.

Just the way it is.