British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   English Teaching Assistant wanting to Work as TA in North Carolina for a Year, HELP!? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/english-teaching-assistant-wanting-work-ta-north-carolina-year-help-681891/)

Siobhan x Aug 19th 2010 1:44 pm

English Teaching Assistant wanting to Work as TA in North Carolina for a Year, HELP!?

Hello,
my name is Siobhan, I’m 38, married living in England and new to the forum. I was wondering if someone could help me?

After a bad couple of years involving a car accident, an operation and losing both my Dad and Sister in Law I have decided that life really is too short and I want to live the dream I have had since I was a child and that is to work in America, specifically North Carolina where my Cousin lives. Unfortunately I just don’t really know where to start I’m just glad that after months of trawling the internet I have found this site full of amazingly knowledgeable people who may be able to point me in the right direction. I am a qualified, experienced Supervisory Teaching Assistant presently working in a special school; I don’t want to move abroad permanently I was thinking a year gaining experience of how things work in schools abroad would be interesting and fun and I could bring new skills back home, thankfully my Husband agrees (he is retired so would not be looking for work). My boss is supportive and happy to hold my job open for a year but beyond that she was unable to offer any advice on how to go about things as she hasn’t come across a TA wanting to do this only Teachers, she even consulted the local authority who were also happy for me to work abroad but could not help as they have not had any other TA’s work abroad so I would be the first one! I have looked on the internet as well as asking around but can not find any other TA’s over 35 who have worked abroad (I say 35 as between the ages of 18 & 35 there seem to be plenty of supported ways of working abroad in diferent fielddifferentave looked on the USA government site and think I would need a H-2B Visa and a H-4 for my Husband. I’m not completely sure if it should be H-1B as it said that was for college educated people and I think that is American for University, I didn’t go to University but I did go to college.

I hope you don’t mind but I have questions…..

1. Do I try and find a sponsor before applying for a visa or the other way around?
2. Does the H – 2B only cover for a year, can it be extended?
3. Do I need a green card as well as a visa?
4. Approximately how long does the whole process usually take?
5. Are there any companies that deal with the process for you, do you know the names? (I can’t find any, I think I must be typing the wrong thing into the search engine).
6. Are American CV’s written differently?
7. Does anyone know of any Teaching Assistants who have had the opportunity to work in America (Not Teachers), and how did they go about it?

There are probably a million questions I should also be asking but don’t want to bore you to death on my first time on here!

Thank you for reading

Siobhan x

Gingerert Aug 19th 2010 2:00 pm

Re: English Teaching Assistant wanting to Work as TA in North Carolina for a Year, HE

Originally Posted by Siobhan x (Post 8787993)
7. Does anyone know of any Teaching Assistants who have had the opportunity to work in America (Not Teachers), and how did they go about it?

Someone far more knowledgable than me will be along in a sec to answer all the technical questions, but as far as your question about other TAs working abroad... well, I'm sorry I say it doesn't usually happen on your own. The only TAs I know about who worked abroad acquired visas through a spouse. As your husband is retired and not looking for a visa, I think it's going to be very hard for you. :(

As far as I'm aware, the only exchange programmes out there for teaching staff are for qualified teachers: not teaching assistants. Go to the Wiki here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA and see if you qualify for any of the visas another way.

Anyone else know something more helpful?

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 19th 2010 3:05 pm

Re: English Teaching Assistant wanting to Work as TA in North Carolina for a Year, HE

You are looking for a job in a very specific area, both by description and location.

The schools here are laying teachers off, I doubt they would go through the time and expense. Maybe a private school?

fatbrit Aug 19th 2010 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Siobhan x (Post 8787993)
There are probably a million questions I should also be asking but don’t want to bore you to death on my first time on here!

Thank you for reading

Siobhan x

Sorry, but it isn't going to happen with the info you've so far given.

Duncan Roberts Aug 19th 2010 3:34 pm

I don't know, but it sounds like you will have it very hard trying to find a job (for instance I've not heard of any schools in my area using teaching assistants) and then even harder to get the visa. Usually there is just not a visa for what people want to do and what you describe doesn't seem to fit into any of the visa categories.

Bill_S Aug 19th 2010 6:08 pm

The US equivalent might be Teacher's Aide... but these are typically low-paying jobs. I doubt that a couple could live very well on a single teacher's aide salary.

meauxna Aug 19th 2010 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 8788402)
The US equivalent might be Teacher's Aide... but these are typically low-paying jobs. I doubt that a couple could live very well on a single teacher's aide salary.

I had to look up what is a Teaching Assistant in the UK since there isn't a comparable job in the US under that title.

Role

Teaching assistants are often used to take small groups of children out of a class that need extra support in an area, such as literacy or numeracy. This can also include work with children with special educational needs (SEN), which the teacher cannot always accommodate in a normal class.

They are also mostly responsible for listening to children read, and reporting back to the teacher if any issues arise. Helping teachers prepare for lessons by photocopying resources, or putting out equipment at the start of a lesson is another main role of the teaching assistant, and one which is becoming increasingly common, due to the National Workforce Agreement (see below).

I'm pretty sure the people who do that job (above) are called 'parents'. :(

Jerseygirl Aug 19th 2010 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8788423)
I had to look up what is a Teaching Assistant in the UK since there isn't a comparable job in the US under that title.

Role

Teaching assistants are often used to take small groups of children out of a class that need extra support in an area, such as literacy or numeracy. This can also include work with children with special educational needs (SEN), which the teacher cannot always accommodate in a normal class.

They are also mostly responsible for listening to children read, and reporting back to the teacher if any issues arise. Helping teachers prepare for lessons by photocopying resources, or putting out equipment at the start of a lesson is another main role of the teaching assistant, and one which is becoming increasingly common, due to the National Workforce Agreement (see below).

That's what I was thinking...it's mostly parents that help out the teachers. Especially at a time when teachers are being laid off due to the economy...they aren't exactly going to be falling over themselves to shell out thousands of dollars for a visa when there are plenty of parents that will do the job for free.

AmerLisa Aug 19th 2010 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8788423)

Role

Actually they do have teaching assistants, but they are known as paraeducators. And yes its a very low paying job, as most jobs are in education. I just can't see a school district encouraging or a transfer from another country, let alone funding a visa for it.

Sorry. :(

anuny Aug 19th 2010 8:58 pm

Since you do not have a degree, you cannot be a substitute teacher. Being a Teacher's Aide as others have mentioned is a very low paid non-skilled job. Given this economy, I doubt you will get any work visa in a category that fits the one-year two year term.

Even some fresh Ph.Ds in social sciences (non citizens on student visa) are finding teaching positions hard to come by.

AmerLisa Aug 19th 2010 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by anuny (Post 8788666)
. Being a Teacher's Aide as others have mentioned is a non-skilled job.

I have to disagree. But it is low paying....

anuny Aug 20th 2010 6:43 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8788945)
I have to disagree. But it is low paying....

Bureau of Labor Statistics

It does not seem like much, on-job training, and a high school diploma.

Marocco Aug 20th 2010 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8788450)
That's what I was thinking...it's mostly parents that help out the teachers. Especially at a time when teachers are being laid off due to the economy...they aren't exactly going to be falling over themselves to shell out thousands of dollars for a visa when there are plenty of parents that will do the job for free.

It doesn't really matter anyway. Even if they were willing to petition for her, it's not a specialty occupation (unlike teacher) and as such it wouldn't qualify for a work visa (H1B).

AmerLisa Aug 20th 2010 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by anuny (Post 8789602)
Bureau of Labor Statistics

It does not seem like much, on-job training, and a high school diploma.

In Washington State they either have to have an Associates or pass an equivalency test or some college credits, plus a high school diploma. Also, there are always ongoing courses.

With such higher standards put on schools these days, paraeducators do a lot more then they have in the past. There are tougher interviews to go through.

They're not teachers, but I can assure they're not hiring them directly off the street without some qualifications. At least not here.....

Siobhan x Aug 22nd 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by anuny (Post 8788666)
Being a Teacher's Aide as others have mentioned is a very low paid non-skilled job.

Hi,
I have to agree that the pay is lower than some would find acceptable but it is more of a vocation than a job and what it lacks in money it makes up for in job satisfaction and seeing the children advance in something even as small as being able to make eye contact. Not exactly world shattering but worth while enough for me.

Siobhan x