Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English Teacher seeks employment in USA

English Teacher seeks employment in USA

Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:09 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Teacher seeks employment in USA

Originally Posted by meauxna
If you insist... ok, put up your dukes.

http://rlv.zcache.com/put_up_your_du...95tdar_210.jpg

Or is it handbags at dawn?
Pillows.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Pillows.
I didn't sign up for the Couch Tour.
yet.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I find all these resonses a bit damning here with all this "snowballs chance" stuff.

My cousin, as a fairly junior qualified teacher, was able to spend 3 years in Atlanta on a teachers exchange program due to it being renewed year on year....could have been extended but she wanted to go back.

Now, I know its not a permanent visa, and I have no idea if it can be made permanent, but I don't see any mention of "permanent" in the OP's question.

But these "0 chance, stick it up your hooplah because we've got lots of English teachers" responses are not correct if you ask me....everyone having a bad day or something?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

artisanvip is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
But these "0 chance, stick it up your hooplah because we've got lots of English teachers" responses are not correct if you ask me....everyone having a bad day or something?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725

Well, when you read about teaching jobs being cut out of the local budget, which is becoming common all over the US, why would we say otherwise? If we can't keep teachers we already have working, how could school districts afford to sponsor in somebody? And every teacher I've met, and spoken to, have all said that there is no shortage of English teachers around. Idk, but this is just my 2pence. Perhaps it would be possible for the OP to get here, but I'll stand by my 'slim to none' statement.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Apr 16th 2009 at 8:59 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Well, when you read about teaching jobs being cut out of the local budget, which is becoming common all over the US, why would we say otherwise? If we can't keep teachers we already have working, how could school districts afford to sponsor in somebody? And every teacher I've met, and spoken to, have all said that there is no shortage of English teachers around. Idk, but this is just by 2pence. Perhaps it would be possible for the OP to get here, but I'll stand by my 'slim to none' statement.
See, I'm not so sure. These teacher exchange programs are just that - exchanges. Which means, an existing teacher here gives up a slot and goes to the UK, and one comes over. That's how it was with my cousin; they swapped jobs. For whatever reason, as I understand it, she was able extend after her counterpart had come back, becuase other slots in the same institution were also in the program. So it operates independently of the economy; it's not a case of "Having enough already" - because one leaves, one comes in.

Last edited by Dan725; Apr 16th 2009 at 8:33 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newcomer
I know British Schools of America recruit teachers from the UK.
Usually only handy if your already here though rather than sponsoring someone.

If the OP taught maths or sciences, might have more chance, especially of the teacher exchange, but English, that'll be tough going, especially without any experience...
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markhaggis
Can anyone tell me how easy it is for me to gain employment, in the US, as an English Teacher. I have just qualified to teach English at secondary school level. I'm aware I have to get my qualifications recognized by the state I wish to work, but does anyone know if there is anything else I need to do or have already moved to the US as a Teacher?
They are already laying off tons of teachers and more to come next year in many states due to lack of funding, so very much doubt you'll get a visa for this line of work. Believe me you are better off teaching in UK/Europe than here. They get paid peanuts.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:20 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Well i have heard of it happening, My year 6 teacher Mr.Cobold came here to the US to teach for a little while, so it is possible
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Well i have heard of it happening, My year 6 teacher Mr.Cobold came here to the US to teach for a little while, so it is possible
when was that?

Generally speaking, it's been really tough because of the cost and with the number of jobs being lost now it's even less likely.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is though, when did these people do the teacher exchange? If it wasn't in the past year, you have to agree that things have changed since that time... My best friends daughter is an English teacher here in IL, she just finished her first year teaching Nr Springfield, she got laid off about a month ago. She has sent off tons of applications all over IL, no interviews for her yet unfortunately, and she is already here.

Unless the exchange teachers pay all their own expenses, why would schools spend money on this, if there are so many teachers already here looking for slots? My Son's school recently had an opening for an English teacher, my friends daughter, plus around 850 other teachers applied for that position! This school pays teachers very well compared to others, but still, if there are that many going for one job........
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:41 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
when was that?

Generally speaking, it's been really tough because of the cost and with the number of jobs being lost now it's even less likely.
This would of been in 2001 when i was in year 6. As a matter of fact my first year in American school i met a substitute teacher from Ipswich, England !!!He even said he lived on the same road my family once lived!!!

I recall him saying something about him moving to California to be a doctor or something. I'm 100% not sure it was nearly 5 years ago
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markhaggis
Can anyone tell me how easy it is for me to gain employment, in the US, as an English Teacher. I have just qualified to teach English at secondary school level. I'm aware I have to get my qualifications recognized by the state I wish to work, but does anyone know if there is anything else I need to do or have already moved to the US as a Teacher?
As 90% of Americans need to learn English I would say get yer ass over here and start asap
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:14 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
As 90% of Americans need to learn English I would say get yer ass over here and start asap
And maybe a few history and geography teachers ??
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishtart
The thing is though, when did these people do the teacher exchange? If it wasn't in the past year, you have to agree that things have changed since that time... My best friends daughter is an English teacher here in IL, she just finished her first year teaching Nr Springfield, she got laid off about a month ago. She has sent off tons of applications all over IL, no interviews for her yet unfortunately, and she is already here.

Unless the exchange teachers pay all their own expenses, why would schools spend money on this, if there are so many teachers already here looking for slots? My Son's school recently had an opening for an English teacher, my friends daughter, plus around 850 other teachers applied for that position! This school pays teachers very well compared to others, but still, if there are that many going for one job........
My cousin did her exchange 2004-2007. I agree, economy on both sides of Atlantic changed since then and no doubt these sort of exchange programs will be suffering a bit as they might be seen by bean counters as unnessecary.

But I feel still a more viable way/option of coming over than a lot of people have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.