Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English grammar as opposed to US english grammar

English grammar as opposed to US english grammar

Old May 28th 2008, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

chris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to all
Default English grammar as opposed to US english grammar

Hi

please can anyone tell me, that should i be starting to teach my kids US grammar.... in being ready for attending US schools..

if they write in British English in an exam or test will they be penalised

thanks

chris
Old May 29th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English grammar as opposed to US english grammar

Originally Posted by chris-mufc
will they be penalised
No, they'll be penalized
Old May 29th 2008, 12:20 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how old they are, but I'd wait till they move over here. Otherwise, if they are already at school you'll be telling them one thing, and the teachers something else. They soon pick things up once here anyway.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

please can anyone tell me, that should i be starting to teach my kids US grammar.... in being ready for attending US schools..

thanks

chris
What are the differences between English grammar and American grammar, as taught in schools?
Old May 29th 2008, 12:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Depends how old they are, but I'd wait till they move over here. Otherwise, if they are already at school you'll be telling them one thing, and the teachers something else. They soon pick things up once here anyway.
I fully agree.

My daughter was 11 when she first attended a US school and yes she was penalised for spelling etc but she soon adjusted.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 29th 2008 at 12:26 am.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Grammar and spelling aren't the same thing.

Are we talking about spelling or grammar?
Old May 29th 2008, 12:47 am
Just Joined

chris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to allchris-mufc is a name known to all

thanks for the answers

cheers

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I fully agree.

My daughter was 11 when she first attended a US school and yes she was penalised for spelling etc but she soon adjusted.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:49 am
Just Joined

the usa has different spelling and grammar.. surely you watched bush,rumsfeld and foxnews for the last few years!!!

Originally Posted by surly
Grammar and spelling aren't the same thing.

Are we talking about spelling or grammar?
Old May 29th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

the usa has different spelling and grammar.. surely you watched bush,rumsfeld and foxnews for the last few years!!!
Will that be the standard you'll use when you teach them American grammar?
Old May 29th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobbes79
No, they'll be penalized
Check the OED for the spelling of penalized.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English grammar as opposed to US english

Grammar, punctuation, and spelling are all important. American and British grammar and punctuation are much the same... but spelling is often different and the children will need to remember to drop the "u" in such words as "flavor", "honor", and "color" for example. Also, American English often uses the "z" instead of "s" in such words as "penalize"!

Oh, and the letter "z" is pronounced "zee" as opposed to the much more sensible pronunciation "zed".

Ian
Old May 29th 2008, 1:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...sh_differences
Old May 29th 2008, 1:35 am
Just Joined

stop being childish... this is serious not a childish game of oneupmanship.... get a life.... grammar that....

Originally Posted by surly
Will that be the standard you'll use when you teach them American grammar?
Old May 29th 2008, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

stop being childish... this is serious not a childish game of oneupmanship.... get a life.... grammar that....
you were saying?
Old May 29th 2008, 1:57 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thanks

chris
my 5 year old was being tested on key words, the teacher said she would let it go that she said the instead of the.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.