Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English food for xmas?

English food for xmas?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

iwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud of
Default English food for xmas?

What english food if any have you got in to enjoy over the xmas break if you're not returning to the UK? Also, what will you miss? I will go first, we have got some Cadbury's Roses, Quality Street. We will miss chipolata sausages to go with the turkey plus many other things but that's the main one that comes to mind.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:52 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English food for xmas?

Originally Posted by iwantone
What english food if any have you got in to enjoy over the xmas break if you're not returning to the UK? Also, what will you miss? I will go first, we have got some Cadbury's Roses, Quality Street. We will miss chipolata sausages to go with the turkey plus many other things but that's the main one that comes to mind.
I am so with you there!!! OH brought back loads of sweets last week for Christmas but I know I've put on so much weight as I have already eaten half of them on my own

I make my own puddings and cake so am OK there.
I try and keep it as British as possible, with crackers etc.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:52 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas crackers, pickled onions, oxo and Guiness.

Not British, but do have some bottled Foster's on hand.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Christmas crackers, pickled onions, oxo and Guiness.

Not British, but do have some bottled Foster's on hand.

Got all of the above from my local store.

I will miss M & S Chestnut stuffing and all their wonderful desserts.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly as above--mince pies, crackers, pud, cadbury's. The children are excited-we limit sweets but they've seen the goodies (the ones that mummy has been secretly sampling). The inlaws and extended family enjoy all of this, so it's well received.

Big turkey dinner with the usuals. We will have green beans as one of our veggies, as my daughter is a green bean addict, but they are 'mushroom soup and fried onion topping' free
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

I have a little harrods christmas pudding I have been hoarding.. hopefully it is still good..
I am desperate for a mince pie. I have no idea where I could get such a thing. Ideally I would buy a jar of mince meat and make my own. I considered making my own mince meat but since its impossible to find sultanas , currants (what you mean there are other alternatives to raisins) and clace cherries. Sometimes I feel like I am living in an ex soviet country with the lack of real choice here when it comes to food.. at least vegies are good though.

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Mainly as above--mince pies, crackers, pud, cadbury's. The children are excited-we limit sweets but they've seen the goodies (the ones that mummy has been secretly sampling). The inlaws and extended family enjoy all of this, so it's well received.

Big turkey dinner with the usuals. We will have green beans as one of our veggies, as my daughter is a green bean addict, but they are 'mushroom soup and fried onion topping' free
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
I have a little harrods christmas pudding I have been hoarding.. hopefully it is still good..
I am desperate for a mince pie. I have no idea where I could get such a thing. Ideally I would buy a jar of mince meat and make my own. I considered making my own mince meat but since its impossible to find sultanas , currants (what you mean there are other alternatives to raisins) and clace cherries. Sometimes I feel like I am living in an ex soviet country with the lack of real choice here when it comes to food.. at least vegies are good though.
Awww, I should have put one aside for you! I made my own, and we also bought some from a local shop. Our local shops are stocked with British goods, and I'm in the midwest where I didn't expect to find such things.

There must be some sort of British food shop out your way? Still, glad you have your posh pud to enjoy!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:26 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Publix has Crosse & Blackwell mincemeat.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We managed to save a M&S chrissy pud from last year. The use by date is still good. Also got some Christmas crackers from Marshalls, and some Cadbury's biscuits from Christmas Tree Shops, but I've also seen them in Target. They are the real thing, made in England. I made my own Christmas cake with plenty of brandy in it and got the booze in. Merry Christmas, all.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:47 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Have some Paxo, a Xmas pudding, crackers, a few mince pies left (thanks-Joisey), local sausages (our type), not to mention the condiments (pickled onions, etc)

Have a personal cupboard in the kitchen under lock and key.....

Otherwise, a turkey is a turkey.....
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:04 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Will really miss a xmas pud this year, tried making some mince pies with the crosse & blackwell filling, they are just not the same
On the upside, we have xmas crackers, Roses, Matchmakers, and after eights along with some other choccies that my ex sent for the girls.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
I
there's a good selection of mince out of the bottle in various places and if you can't be arsed to make your own pastry, use some puff pastry, it'll work a treat..okay, it ain't quite the same, but it'll still do
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:27 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwantone

The wife picked up some Quality Street at World Market and it was $15 for only 489g. I know you can get a huge 2.2kg tin at Tesco or ASDA back home for the same price.
I checked the UK Post Office website and I thought I saw where 2kg was the max you could ship to the U.S. - does that sound correct?
Anyhoo, it was about 20 quid to ship even that weight.

Postman Pat's pension must be a good 'un.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I've got an M&S Christmas pudding from last year.... mmmmmmm
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
The wife picked up some Quality Street at World Market and it was $15 for only 489g. I know you can get a huge 2.2kg tin at Tesco or ASDA back home for the same price.
I checked the UK Post Office website and I thought I saw where 2kg was the max you could ship to the U.S. - does that sound correct?
Anyhoo, it was about 20 quid to ship even that weight.

Postman Pat's pension must be a good 'un.
It cost me £20 to send 3 pounds in weight over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.