Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English food for xmas?

English food for xmas?

Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English food for xmas?

Originally Posted by iwantone
What english food if any have you got in to enjoy over the xmas break if you're not returning to the UK? Also, what will you miss? I will go first, we have got some Cadbury's Roses, Quality Street. We will miss chipolata sausages to go with the turkey plus many other things but that's the main one that comes to mind.

We have Cadbury's selection biccy tin, mince pies made with proper suet mincemeat...(yummy will be making them today.. )
After eights, Turkey, bacon wrapped sausages, brussel sprouts with chestnuts
Paxo, Christmas cake made by my mum with lovely marzipan and icing.
Chocolate tree ornaments and Advent calendar and of course
Christmas crackers

I enjoy our Christmas here but miss being around my family and Boxing day too as we always have a big get together and play games and get
My brother in law is brill at creating quizzes and he usually puts one together alot like quiz night down the local

I miss going into Chichester Christmas Eve. They have an old Brass band playing Carols and chestnut roasting stands in the centre of town at the old cross. It is just a beautiful atmosphere that can't matched.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:15 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

What english food if any have you got in to enjoy over the xmas break if you're not returning to the UK? Also, what will you miss? I will go first, we have got some Cadbury's Roses, Quality Street. We will miss chipolata sausages to go with the turkey plus many other things but that's the main one that comes to mind.
This chrimbo is going to be my best ever as the in-laws really came through, I have m and s pud, cake and choc biscuits, Sainsburys taste the differnce mince pies and chestnut stuffing, and I got a great box of crackers at costco.

I have had quite a few years of pining for stuff I can tell you! I've found this website to be great...

http://www.britsuperstore.com/

I order from them twice a year and they package it great, it arrives quickly and the postage is way more reasonable than other sites. Great selection too! (no sausages though sorry!)
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
This chrimbo is going to be my best ever as the in-laws really came through, I have m and s pud, cake and choc biscuits, Sainsburys taste the differnce mince pies and chestnut stuffing, and I got a great box of crackers at costco.

I have had quite a few years of pining for stuff I can tell you! I've found this website to be great...

http://www.britsuperstore.com/

I order from them twice a year and they package it great, it arrives quickly and the postage is way more reasonable than other sites. Great selection too! (no sausages though sorry!)
Hooray for Britsuperstore! I discovered them two years ago and I love the service and variety. I can't believe I used to survive Christmas here before the internet!
What would we do without it
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
The wife picked up some Quality Street at World Market and it was $15 for only 489g. I know you can get a huge 2.2kg tin at Tesco or ASDA back home for the same price.
I checked the UK Post Office website and I thought I saw where 2kg was the max you could ship to the U.S. - does that sound correct?
Anyhoo, it was about 20 quid to ship even that weight.

Postman Pat's pension must be a good 'un.

You can send bigger parcels without issue--just gets a bit costly. 2kg used to be the limit for the 'small packet' price (discounted). My office postman used to tell me to take larger parcels (jiffy bags or small boxes) and split them up into 'under 2kg' parcels and I'd save quite a bit. I know that there was a recent size/rate change, and I'm not sure how that works--we have some post send to my brother's house, and he forwards to us. Around August or so the rates changed.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

iwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tbag
Hooray for Britsuperstore! I discovered them two years ago and I love the service and variety. I can't believe I used to survive Christmas here before the internet!
Yes, I love britsuperstore too. I just found my "other" stash of xmas goodies. A duchy christmas pud & a sainsbury's taste the difference one. chestnut & cranberry paxo & regular paxo. Big box of maltesers & a couple of big bars of dairy milk, birds custard. Plus forgot to mention we have a cadbury's advent calendar and cadbury's chocolates on the tree. This was all brought back from the UK when we were there last month. Ate the 2 boxes of mince pies we brought back as they had a nov 29th date on them - damn!! We have a local shop here that sells Walkers mince pies, I am not a huge fan of them but in a pinch they will do, better warmed, anyhow they have completely sold out. Got some home made chipolata sausages and cumberland sausages from an english shop in NY today as well so hubby will be pleased!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:33 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
Love that they do British magazines an' all
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

We will miss chipolata sausages to go with the turkey plus many other things but that's the main one that comes to mind.
Same here - have managed to find some supposedley British ones from a local shop - not quite the same, but will do in a pinch!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i've just got to have sprouts with my turkey dinner, dunno if it's a brit thing or not as i see them readily available in wholefoods...shame about the smell when they're cooking but they're worth it imo
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i've just got to have sprouts with my turkey dinner, dunno if it's a brit thing or not as i see them readily available in wholefoods...shame about the smell when they're cooking but they're worth it imo
Me too my dad calls them "Fart fodder" along with pickled onions that we are having too...... pickled by me in October and they are ready to be gobbled up with some gammon on Boxing day! Yummy.......we need a licking your lips or rubbing your tummy smilie
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:35 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Five jars of Robertson's mincemeat
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:51 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I've been able to buy pretty much everything British that I want for Christmas dinner over here but I will miss my mum's xmas dinner and my dad's homemade roast chestnut stuffing!