Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English food items in the USA

English food items in the USA

Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default English food items in the USA

Thought this might be of interest for cost comparisons to those of you contemplating coming to the USA. I found a World Market yesterday and purchased a couple of items. A can of Heinz Baked beans,regular size,14.8oz, was $1.79 (£1 approx) Six bottles of Fosters Lager, 12oz, cost $6.99 (£3.88 approx). This is equivalent to 4.5 pints so very good value when compared to the UK. A regular tin of Birds Custard Powder was $4.79(£3.90).
Hopefully others will add their cost experiences to give people an idea of purchasing English items.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English food items in the USA

Originally Posted by tony126
Thought this might be of interest for cost comparisons to those of you contemplating coming to the USA. I found a World Market yesterday and purchased a couple of items. A can of Heinz Baked beans,regular size,14.8oz, was $1.79 (£1 approx) Six bottles of Fosters Lager, 12oz, cost $6.99 (£3.88 approx). This is equivalent to 4.5 pints so very good value when compared to the UK. A regular tin of Birds Custard Powder was $4.79(£3.90).
Hopefully others will add their cost experiences to give people an idea of purchasing English items.
I dined at my local Indian restaurant on Sunday (they do a fab lunch buffet) and went to the grocery store that is attached afterwards.

Picked up a can of Heinz Baked Beans for $1.49 which is far cheaper than World Market, my local Kroger and my local Harris Teeter. I will ignore the fact that the beans label was preprinted with a price of 39p...

I never underestimate what British foods and drinks I can find in Indian grocery stores these days.

If anyone in the Triangle area wants further details about the store, please PM me.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:07 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

Picked up a can of Heinz Baked Beans for $1.49 which is far cheaper than World Market, my local Kroger and my local Harris Teeter. I will ignore the fact that the beans label was preprinted with a price of 39p...

I never underestimate what British foods and drinks I can find in Indian grocery stores these days.

NC Penguin
I have seen these beans marked as 39p in PUBLIX supermarkets for about £1 a can.

Indian groceries are the place to go for a decent tea selection. Whether you live in Manhattan or Fort Myers the same thing applies.

Here in FM there is also a terrific Chinese Grocery store which also has Japanese and Indonesian foods. They have fresh, frozen and dried goods as well as an attached Chinese restaurant. They even have Nigori Sake, which amazes me.

Anyone local want to know where it is ?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

Hi, my husband and I went to Dunedin,On the Gulf Coast of Florida near Clearwater on Saturday,Its a great place,very village like.
There is a shop there called All Things Scottish......so being half Scottish we went in.
Had lots of Scottish stuff lol, but it also had Heinz beans,marmite,branston pickle,custard powder,gravy granules, etc etc.
Pricy mind.!!!
Oh yes and YORKIES....yum
Redlobster
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:38 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

There is a great place in Norcross GA called "A taste of Britain"
I would love to know where to get a decent pork pie though, those "Jolly Good" ones made in Florida are crap....
Rob
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by redlobster
Hi, my husband and I went to Dunedin,On the Gulf Coast of Florida near Clearwater on Saturday,Its a great place,very village like.
There is a shop there called All Things Scottish......so being half Scottish we went in.
Had lots of Scottish stuff lol, but it also had Heinz beans,marmite,branston pickle,custard powder,gravy granules, etc etc.
Pricy mind.!!!
Oh yes and YORKIES....yum
Redlobster
There is also a Scottish store in Sarasota, ....the lady to whom I spoke on the phone sounded absolutely lovely Unfortunately, I can't at this time, recall the name. Found it when I was calling around asking for some traditional something or another that y'all give Scottish brides (some horseshoe thingie or another), and they had some!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:14 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Union Jack in Peabody Mass is pretty good. They have a large selection and a big freezer full of English sausages, cornish pasties etc.,

I prefer Boston Baked Beans to Heinz so didn't get any but a tin of Heinz cream of tomato soup set me back $1.99. I had no option though, try as I might I just can't stand American tomato soup.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

All this talk of sausages and cornish pies is making me crave them.
Does anyone know anywhere in the Tampa area that sells sausages etc
Redlobster
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Redlobster
Here's a list of pubs etc...in the Tampa area. Don't know how up to date they are though, maybe you can call?

Tampa
Cafe European 113 S Hyde Park Ave Tampa FL (813) 254-9458

Coach & Horses British Pub 511 N. Franklin St., Tampa FL (813)221-7676

Four Green Fields, 205 West Platt St., 813-573-1623

Irish Pub 1721 E Seventh Ave Tampa FL (813) 248-2099

O'Brien's Irish Pub, 11744 North Dale Mabry Highway, 813-961-4092

Mad Dogs & Englishmen 4115 South MacDill Avenue Tampa, FL 33606 813-832-3037

MacDinton's Irish Pub & Restaurant
405 S Howard Ave. Tampa FL 33606
813 251 8999
www.macdintons.com
Check out our website for events, menu, beer selection, EPL soccer games.

Yeoman's Road Pub 236 E. Davis Island Boulevard Tampa FL (813) 251-2748

There was a South African who'd opened a pie shop selling all the staples...cornish, steak and kidney..etc...but they, unfortunately, closed ages ago.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Redlobster
Here's a list of pubs etc...in the Tampa area. Don't know how up to date they are though, maybe you can call?

Tampa

813 251 8999
www.macdintons.com

There was a South African who'd opened a pie shop selling all the staples...cornish, steak and kidney..etc...but they, unfortunately, closed ages ago.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:08 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sibsie
Union Jack in Peabody Mass is pretty good. They have a large selection and a big freezer full of English sausages, cornish pasties etc.,

I prefer Boston Baked Beans to Heinz so didn't get any but a tin of Heinz cream of tomato soup set me back $1.99. I had no option though, try as I might I just can't stand American tomato soup.
Went there a couple of weeks ago and was more than happy! Talk about being a kid in a sweet shop!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:19 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
Went there a couple of weeks ago and was more than happy! Talk about being a kid in a sweet shop!
It's fab isn't it. I even got Sherbet Fountains this week.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Oh Wow Izibear, thank you.
I know where some of those places are.
We have only been here 10 weeks.lol
Redlobster
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear

Tampa

813 251 8999
www.macdintons.com

MacDintons do a pretty good Shepherds pie and pint of guiness
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

80 PG Tips from Cost Plus World market cost me $6.99 here in AZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.