Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English Expat shot dead in Dallas

English Expat shot dead in Dallas

Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Expat shot dead in Dallas

My tuppence.

I don't believe in concealed carry or handguns outside of using them at shooting ranges. I know that many of you own handguns and use them responsibly, but if I had to /were allowed to vote, I would vote to ban concealed carry. Visible carry? Would have to think harder on that one. But probably a complete ban, also on semi- and automatic weapons.

I believe that allowing shotguns and rifles preserves the spirit of the Second Amendment and allows for hunting. I would not hunt myself but I do know that some people do need the meat and that a lot of it, at least here, is donated to the poor. I also know that we have an overabundance of deer who will starve and eat entire forests if not checked.

The only person I feel I could not be friends with would be a gun owner in a home with small children, unless that person followed advice and kept guns locked separate from locked ammunition. I could not allow my child to visit that house because I would not consider it safe. I do not see that it is possible to keep guns and ammo locked separately, AND use the gun for defence.... but for hunting, yes.

I grew up with shotguns everywhere and my grandfather hunted for survival during periods of his life. My father and brother have hunted. But I do not feel comfortable around handguns. I've been in several situations where they were not used properly and the thoughts still terrify me.

This is my honest opinion and I share it knowing it may not be popular. I would rather see a shotgun hanging in the back of a pickup cab than some idiot SUV driver with a pistol in the glovebox.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:15 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

You won't like me then. I am lethal with a golf club. A couple of years ago in the previous town I lived in, a couple of teen thugs were breaking into my daughter's car in the middle of the night. I grabbed my gown, yelled at my hubs and daughter and raced downstairs. Just so happened my beloved's Pings were waiting by the front door for his morning game. I grabbed the driver and raced outside and pursued the punters. I believe I was quite a sight racing down the road waving said driver in a decisively threatening manner with my dressing gown billowing behind me showing off rather shorty pj's. Young men running hell for leather down the road and me making a huge ruckus. Daughter horrified at Mum flashing some bits to the neighbourhood in my pursuit, and hubs horrified that I was prepared to destroy his Ping driver on wayward youth!! Good news is, they didn't get away with a thing, and one of them was decidely scared of facing me when we headed to court. I made such a good impression........
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:17 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
You won't like me then. I am lethal with a golf club. A couple of years ago in the previous town I lived in, a couple of teen thugs were breaking into my daughter's car in the middle of the night. I grabbed my gown, yelled at my hubs and daughter and raced downstairs. Just so happened my beloved's Pings were waiting by the front door for his morning game. I grabbed the driver and raced outside and pursued the punters. I believe I was quite a sight racing down the road waving said driver in a decisively threatening manner with my dressing gown billowing behind me showing off rather shorty pj's. Young men running hell for leather down the road and me making a huge ruckus. Daughter horrified at Mum flashing some bits to the neighbourhood in my pursuit, and hubs horrified that I was prepared to destroy his Ping driver on wayward youth!! Good news is, they didn't get away with a thing, and one of them was decidely scared of facing me when we headed to court. I made such a good impression........
You go girl!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Got no problems with golf clubs or baseball bats or hammers used in self-defence or for their intended purpose. You must be within really close distance to use them and that makes a difference.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
They are American, been living in England for the past seven years.
They recently moved back to TX for him to start a new job.
yeah, didn't read that post till after I made my post, next page and all that
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Got no problems with golf clubs or baseball bats or hammers used in self-defence or for their intended purpose. You must be within really close distance to use them and that makes a difference.
You're right! you're much more likely to fail at close range.

I'd love to see a 120lb woman fend of a 220lb rapist with a baseball bat, I really would, but a good result isn't going to be the norm.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:19 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

My tuppence.

I don't believe in concealed carry or handguns outside of using them at shooting ranges. I know that many of you own handguns and use them responsibly, but if I had to /were allowed to vote, I would vote to ban concealed carry. Visible carry? Would have to think harder on that one. But probably a complete ban, also on semi- and automatic weapons.

I believe that allowing shotguns and rifles preserves the spirit of the Second Amendment and allows for hunting. I would not hunt myself but I do know that some people do need the meat and that a lot of it, at least here, is donated to the poor. I also know that we have an overabundance of deer who will starve and eat entire forests if not checked.

The only person I feel I could not be friends with would be a gun owner in a home with small children, unless that person followed advice and kept guns locked separate from locked ammunition. I could not allow my child to visit that house because I would not consider it safe. I do not see that it is possible to keep guns and ammo locked separately, AND use the gun for defence.... but for hunting, yes.

I grew up with shotguns everywhere and my grandfather hunted for survival during periods of his life. My father and brother have hunted. But I do not feel comfortable around handguns. I've been in several situations where they were not used properly and the thoughts still terrify me.

This is my honest opinion and I share it knowing it may not be popular. I would rather see a shotgun hanging in the back of a pickup cab than some idiot SUV driver with a pistol in the glovebox.
I can live with hunting rifles and sports guns that are securely locked away. (Though I would not have allowed my children to visit such a house when they were minors.)

It's the concept of people walking around with concealed weapons that scares the shit out of me.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:21 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

My tuppence.

The only person I feel I could not be friends with would be a gun owner in a home with small children, unless that person followed advice and kept guns locked separate from locked ammunition. I could not allow my child to visit that house because I would not consider it safe.
How would you know if those people do in fact carry guns? There is no guarantee that they would reveal that sort of info to you. Most would deny it or sell the obvious responsibility story. The best you can do is teach your kids to leave an environment where kids are talking of playing with guns or are actually handling them. Communication is crucial.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

My tuppence.
You're welcome to it, at least you're not spreading lies.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

My Would have to think harder on that one. But probably a complete ban, also on semi- and automatic weapons.
Fully automatics have been effectively banned since 1934
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
I can live with hunting rifles and sports guns that are securely locked away. (Though I would not have allowed my children to visit such a house when they were minors.)
Hunting rifles and "sports guns" are really no different in function from any other types of gun you can buy here.

If you're thinking about "assault weapons", then you've been mislead into thinking a hunting rifle with cosmetic changes is more dangerous than the original hunting rifle. See here for a better explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysf8x477c30

Also, Penn and Teller sometimes tackle serious topics; included in this show is why one woman from Texas supports concealed carry: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...08445846864220

Last edited by anotherlimey; Mar 29th 2007 at 3:32 am.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:25 am
Nuts and Bolts

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
You go girl!
Pity they don't make golf balls a tad bigger. My accuracy rate would improve then.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:26 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Pity they don't make golf balls a tad bigger. My accuracy rate would improve then.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:30 am
Lapine Member

How would you know if those people do in fact carry guns? There is no guarantee that they would reveal that sort of info to you. Most would deny it or sell the obvious responsibility story. The best you can do is teach your kids to leave an environment where kids are talking of playing with guns or are actually handling them. Communication is crucial.
I have taught my children from the time they could understand, that if they were to see a gun of any kind, even a toy gun, they should leave and get or call me. If they could not possibly reach me, they should ask an adult to go home.

I only have a very few rules and they know I'm serious about this one.

We live in a state that's armed to the teeth so obviously I don't shit myself every time I walk out the door. But I'm uncomfortable around someone whom I do not know well but that I do know is carrying a handgun.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:30 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Ray
Fully automatics have been effectively banned since 1934
I know, but those illegal conversions are what make me go off the semis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.