Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English English lessons in Los Angeles?

English English lessons in Los Angeles?

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:01 am
Just Joined

MikeDLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English English lessons in Los Angeles?

I am an Aussie living in Los Angeles with my Japanese wife.
My wife is learning English from an American English teacher in Santa Monica and I am dismayed at the vernacular pronunciation she is being taught.

Forty = Fordy
Something = Someth'n.

Does anyone know where in Los Angeles my wife can learn the Queen's English?

Are there any British expats who are qualified/experienced teachers who might be able to help?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Mike
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English English lessons in Los Angeles?

That's the way they talk here - why would they teach 'The Queen's English'?
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:28 am
Just Joined

a) They wouldn't, which is why I am looking for someone else who does.

b) There are different styles of American english; the pronunciation on NPR radio, for example, is often different to what you might hear on a trashy reality TV show. I'm looking for the former and not the latter.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, no matter what pronunciation her teacher uses, your wife will end up picking up most of her spoken English from the people around her and what she is exposed to on TV ...
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeDLA
I am dismayed at the vernacular pronunciation she is being taught.

Forty = Fordy
Something = Someth'n.
You must be a disciple of the Donald Sutherland school of pronunciation! The man is an elocution dynamo!

Ian
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

We don't watch TV - perhaps my wife needs to watch the BBC news every day and some Donald Sutherland movies...
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your an Aussie, not a Brit, and you are both living in the US. Why have her learn a language which will place her apart from the general population in the country she is currently living in? Unless you are planning on living in the UK, her Queen's English will not do her any favors when she returns to Oz to live.

Rant deleted

The American
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

You want 'er talk proppa English, innit?
So get it sorted, fix up an English IP address and watch stuff like the Jeremy Kyle show, innit.
She can learn real sick stuff from the geezers on dere, know what i mean, bro, like talking posh and all that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhmhvXhI3k
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't watch TV - perhaps my wife needs to watch the BBC news every day and some Donald Sutherland movies...
That, or "Family Guy" - but only Brian and Stewie ...
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a reet posh English boarding school and speak the 'Queens English' trouble is nobody in California understands a word I say........McDonalds, 'a Coke please,' 'universal language' one would think, I was given an iced tea

Get real you are where you live if I want a boddle of wadder thats what I order!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Your an Aussie, not a Brit, and you are both living in the US. Why have her learn a language which will place her apart from the general population in the country she is currently living in? Unless you are planning on living in the UK, her Queen's English will not do her any favors when she returns to Oz to live.

Rant deleted

The American
I think you mean "You're" rather than "Your".
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Thanks this is great. I will have my wife watch and memorize!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks this is great. I will have my wife watch and memorize!
Thanks for confirming this is a wind-up
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by traceym
I went to a reet posh English boarding school and speak the 'Queens English' trouble is nobody in California understands a word I say........McDonalds, 'a Coke please,' 'universal language' one would think, I was given an iced tea

Get real you are where you live if I want a boddle of wadder thats what I order!
Yeah me too. Except, on the rare occasion that we order from a drive-in, I make my husband shout across me (I drive) and order through the tannoy system since they can never understand me. If he is not with me, I have to go in and order by pointing at pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.