British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   English Engineer wants to move to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/english-engineer-wants-move-usa-820758/)

PaulDouthwaite82 Jan 8th 2014 2:11 pm

English Engineer wants to move to USA

Hi. Happy new year to you all.

First time poster here so I will appreciate any advice on offer!

My situation is this: My name is Paul. I work in England, 31 years old and I am desperate to move to Houston, Texas asap to live with my American partner. I have a masters degree and 4 years of work experience.

I am finding it difficult applying for jobs in Houston. Is it right for me to apply online? I know they have to sponsor my application so maybe that is putting some companies off. Is there a way of finding companies who are interested in employing Brits?

I have had one offer from the same company I work for, but they are based in New Jersey. However they have said they could find a 'rep' position in Houston. Does anyone know if this is allowed? And how long is the commitment for work with that first company?

While Im here, I should take this opportunity to offer myself available for work to anyone in the Houston area if anyone is reading! I can email my resume to anyone interested.

Best wishes to everyone.

Paul

BunnyGirl Jan 8th 2014 2:14 pm

Re: English Engineer wants to move to USA

Marry your partner. It's the quickest and easiest way of moving to the US.

Pulaski Jan 8th 2014 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl (Post 11068925)
Marry your partner. It's the quickest and easiest way of moving to the US.

Agreed 110%. Anything else is going to be more difficult , and more uncertain, in comparison.

Typically recruiters and companies pay little or no attention to applications from overseas or otherwise requiring a visa. As an engineer wanting to relocate to Houston, you have it relatively easy, and it might be possible, but usually very difficult, if not impossible, to get any attention for your applications until you are resident in the US.

AmerLisa Jan 8th 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by PaulDouthwaite82 (Post 11068923)

My situation is this: My name is Paul. I work in England, 31 years old and I am desperate to move to Houston, Texas asap to live with my American partner. I have a masters degree and 4 years of work experience.

I am finding it difficult applying for jobs in Houston. Is it right for me to apply online? I know they have to sponsor my application so maybe that is putting some companies off. Is there a way of finding companies who are interested in employing Brits?

I have had one offer from the same company I work for, but they are based in New Jersey. However they have said they could find a 'rep' position in Houston. Does anyone know if this is allowed? And how long is the commitment for work with that first company?

While Im here, I should take this opportunity to offer myself available for work to anyone in the Houston area if anyone is reading! I can email my resume to anyone interested.

Best wishes to everyone.

Paul

Any company would have to sponsor you, not your application. If you don't want to get married, take your company's offer and move over to New Jersey. Probably less of a commute to Houston than from the UK.

PaulDouthwaite82 Jan 8th 2014 2:23 pm

Thank you all. I appreciate the advice.

Paul

SultanOfSwing Jan 8th 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11068937)
Probably less of a commute to Houston than from the UK.

Understatement of the year :lol:

Bink Jan 8th 2014 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by PaulDouthwaite82 (Post 11068923)

Best wishes to everyone.

Paul

If you don't want to get married, the work visa with your existing company may be your best bet. So long as you are full time employee and they don't lie on the visa application (though bending the truth is common practice with visa applications...) there's nothing wrong with them employing you in Houston as a 'rep'. The question is it what you want to be doing and will you be able to fulfill the role they want you to do.

What kind of Engineering? If you have a MEng or equivalent and 4 years experience in that field, you shouldn't find it hard to find a job in O&G in Houston.

Mr Weeze Jan 8th 2014 4:17 pm

As Bink said, if it's oil and gas with an MEng it is at least possible. Get a recruiter involved, especially if you have oil and gas experience.

If you don't have oil and gas experience, look for a job in Aberdeen, and then look to get either a transfer or at that point get the recruiter involved. That is obviously a multi-year process though.

Anian Jan 8th 2014 6:02 pm

I was in a similar situation and I had no bites on any applications until I got my greencard.

Bink Jan 8th 2014 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11069342)
I was in a similar situation and I had no bites on any applications until I got my greencard.

With O&G experience there are companies here in Houston that will sponsor H1-Bs. Definitely easier with a greencard though, no doubt.

It's relatively easy to transfer an H1B too (probably easier than getting a company to sponsor you in the first place since once an H1B has been issued, there'd be little reason to deny it the second time around if the company plays by the rules).

There are several large companies in London (and in the UK in general) that either have offices in Houston or regularly place people in Houston. Michael Page, Spencer Ogden and Laking Group are 3 that I have contact with that I know have been successful in securing applicants with jobs that will sponsor H1Bs in Houston in O&G. There are others, these are just 3 I know of offhand.

Hotscot Jan 8th 2014 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11069342)

Yes but how did you get a green card in the first place?

Anian Jan 9th 2014 6:06 pm

Married an American.

Bink Jan 9th 2014 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 11069373)
With O&G experience there are companies here in Houston that will sponsor H1-Bs. Definitely easier with a greencard though, no doubt.

It's relatively easy to transfer an H1B too (probably easier than getting a company to sponsor you in the first place since once an H1B has been issued, there'd be little reason to deny it the second time around if the company plays by the rules).

There are several large recruitmentcompanies in London (and in the UK in general) that either have offices in Houston or regularly place people in Houston. Michael Page, Spencer Ogden and Laking Group are 3 that I have contact with that I know have been successful in securing applicants with jobs that will sponsor H1Bs in Houston in O&G. There are others, these are just 3 I know of offhand.

I missed out the word recruitment above...

Guindalf Jan 9th 2014 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11071126)
Married an American.

Worked for me, too! ;)

Pulaski Jan 9th 2014 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11071302)
Worked for me, too!

You are not alone. :)