Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English Education in The US

English Education in The US

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:38 am
Just Joined

AndrewHarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Education in The US

I just wanted to pick peoples brains on whether or not our English qualifications count for anything in the states, i have 10 gcse's and 4 a-levels to go with an assortment of engineering GNVQ's and B-Tecs are these any good to me or should i start looking for a nursery school to sign myself up with!!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Education in The US

What are you trying to do?

First of all what sort of visa are you eligible for? .... You can't just come "because you fancy the idea".

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training. (The list of qualifying occupations is actually quite long, but visas are very limited for 2004 going forward, making it a difficult route to follow, and you have to have the backing of an employer, which isn't easy as employers are likely to take a local employee before going to the trouble and not inconsiderable expense of helping an immigrant obtain a visa.)
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card, likely minimum investment $100,000)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, your only realistic options are likely to be (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

I hope this helps.

PS. Unless you have a degree British qualifications don't count for a whole lot, except perhaps as the basis for apply for university. If you do obtain a visa, say through marriage then you are likely to have more success by telling potential employers about your experience than by listing your qualifications.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

`Sorry i forgot to mention i am already married to a us citizen, does this change anything?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:48 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AndrewHarnett
I just wanted to pick peoples brains on whether or not our English qualifications count for anything in the states, i have 10 gcse's and 4 a-levels to go with an assortment of engineering GNVQ's and B-Tecs are these any good to me or should i start looking for a nursery school to sign myself up with!!
You should certainly mention having the GCSEs and A Levels since this indicates that you have the equivalence of a US High School diploma.

However, I'm not sure if GNVQs and BTECs will be equivalent to a batchelor's degree. It's unlikely, but I may be mistaken.

For pretty much any kind of job (except retail, farming, blue collar manual labor), US employers expect candidates to have at least a degree.

You don't mention what industry you work in now and if you intend to continue in that field in the US.

It may be worth your while, nearer the time, checking out the commercial bodies that convert foreign academic qualifications. Personally, I've not approached them myself and "translated" my UK academic qualifications with no problems for my resume.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:48 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew,
From Plymouth myself. moved over here about 4 years back.
So I went through this very thing sometime in 2000.
Forget the O/A levels. Most employers have no idea what they are or care.
The various other items might be of use.
But first and formost your experience is the thing that will get you through.

There are companies that will 'transcribe' your educational qualifications but these are mainly to do with getting into a university.
Your not planning to go back to school are you

Myself I was in the RN and left with a fist full of engineering GNVQs/ HNC ect ect.
The employers were impressed but had no idea what they were.

I just 'transcribed' them into my resume and explained during the interviews.

Last edited by excpomea; Mar 2nd 2004 at 2:51 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by excpomea
Hi Andrew,
From Plymouth myself. moved over here about 4 years back.
So I went through this very thing sometime in 2000.
Forget the O/A levels. Most employers have no idea what they are or care.
The various other items might be of use.
But first and formost your experiance is the thing that will get you through.
I would have to disagree with excpomea. A foreigner should make the effort to show that they have at least the equivalent of a High School Diploma.

I think this is particularly important because the OP, Andrew, doesn't have a batchelor's degree so it's in his best interest to indicate that he does have academic qualifications.

Based on the number of GCSEs and A levels he has, some American academic qualification transcribers may even determine he has at least a year of degree level education. Of course, this depends on the subjects he's passed and the grades attained.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:58 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I would have to disagree with excpomea. A foreigner should make the effort to show that they have at least the equivalent of a High School Diploma.

I think this is particularly important because the OP, Andrew, doesn't have a batchelor's degree so it's in his best interest to indicate that he does have academic qualifications.

Based on the number of GCSEs and A levels he has, some American academic qualification transcribers may even determine he has at least a year of degree level education. Of course, this depends on the subjects he's passed and the grades attained.

I agree NC, I was just going on the assumption that he had better than a high school diploma. With all those O/A levels he could probably be teaching at most high schools.

I had all my educational qualifications 'transcribed' by my local University for a $100 charge. They gave me 40 hrs of undergraduate study.
Not that it was any use, I had no intention of going on for a degree.

Last edited by excpomea; Mar 2nd 2004 at 3:13 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

No i have no intentions of going back to school i just needed to know if a future employer would look at these and be impressed rather than take me as a dummy!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by AndrewHarnett
I've heard that an advanced GNVQ is equivalent to an associates degree. My husband has an advanced GNVQ and just put that on his resume with no translation but so far no one has called .

If you hear anything definite about what a GNVQ is, please let us know! We don't have the money to have his school stuff translated (and then tell us it is nothing hehe)