Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

English Country Garden

English Country Garden

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 1:41 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb English Country Garden

Quite by chance I've discovered this info about British companies who will send plant seeds to the US. For some reason I didn't think you could bring them into the States, but perhaps the restrictions are only on live plant cuttings.

So for anyone who fancies having their own little corner of England (or rest of the UK) in their garden, here are some sources.....or on the other hand I guess you can find out which species will easily grow in various parts of the US and get your mum or sibling in Blighty to post some seeds over to you:

http://discoveringannuals.com/seed/fromuk.html

I do find it strange living here in New Jersey how late Springtime flowers bloom compared to England - snowdrops won't be making an appearance for another few weeks and daffodils don't bloom until mid-late April at the earliest (although this winter has been exceptionally mild here in the NE). Also Spring only seems to last 2-3 weeks then it's straight into a hot sticky Summer.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 1:47 am
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of
Default Re: English Country Garden

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Quite by chance I've discovered this info about British companies who will send plant seeds to the US. For some reason I didn't think you could bring them into the States, but perhaps the restrictions are only on live plant cuttings.

So for anyone who fancies having their own little corner of England (or rest of the UK) in their garden, here are some sources.....or on the other hand I guess you can find out which species will easily grow in various parts of the US and get your mum or sibling in Blighty to post some seeds over to you:

http://discoveringannuals.com/seed/fromuk.html

I do find it strange living here in New Jersey how late Springtime flowers bloom compared to England - snowdrops won't be making an appearance for another few weeks and daffodils don't bloom until mid-late April at the earliest (although this winter has been exceptionally mild here in the NE). Also Spring only seems to last 2-3 weeks then it's straight into a hot sticky Summer.
CAn they plant baked beans and cadburys choc haha, I don't think our flowers could stand the climate changes here we go from living in the Antartic to being on planet mercury... I am in CT and my poor tree outside is trying to bud...
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Country Garden

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Part of the problem is mud season, followed by another winter spell, and then it's summer all of a sudden and everything wilts and dies, if they weren't killed by the frosts or from the snow melts...only thing that does well around here are lupines, and they aren't even native *l*