Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is England expensive

Wikiposts

Is England expensive

Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:45 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is England expensive

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
Returning to the original post, no, England is not expensive. From living in England most of my life then moving to USA (South Carolina and California) in April, I've found:
  • Groceries in England are generally either the same price or cheaper (I'm not talking about the genetically modified pre-packaged chicken nugget turkey twizzler type of crap; I've no idea what that poison costs either side of the Atlantic - I'm talking about fruit, vegetables, bread etc, preferably organic - I don't like eating salmon plus a virus in my strawberries). Some items, such as bread and cheese, are outrageously expensive here. Most shops here do not have a "special area" of hugely discounted foods near their sell-by date.

• The influx of everything made in China has levelled the prices of most consumer goods in USA and UK. A decade or so back, even removing the exchange rate fluctuations, "stuff" generally was much cheaper in the US. But some higher end stuff like Apple computers and big TVs are still cheaper here. As a random test, I googled "plasma TV", found a Samsung 50" PN50C550. According to Google shopping, the best US price is $865, compared to $955 in UK (at 1.59 exchange rate). Not much in it, but a very unscientific test.

• Beer (in bars/pubs) has been covered by a previous post, and I agree - more expensive here, when you add on the expected tip, plus tax. But get yourself a margarita, and you're quids in in USA.

• Council tax (or whatever it's called) in the US is cripplingly expensive.

• Healthcare's been covered - having lived in a few bits of the globe, I've experienced healthcare that is virtually free, but abysmal (Cyprus) healthcare that is reasonably priced, but slow* (NHS) and healthcare that is bankrupt-inducingly ridiculous, but is quick and reasonably effective** (USA).
*I say the NHS is slow, because I hear and read about long waiting lists, but, fortunately, the only time I've needed hospital treatment (for a very impacted wisdom tooth extraction), it went like this: I went to the dentist. Dentist said "you need that tooth out, I'll make a hospital appointment for you. Which hospital do you want to go to?" I chose the one half a mile from home. A couple of days later, I received an appointment card from the hospital, which I put aside to look at later. A few days later, I got a call from the hospital asking why I didn't show up - I hadn't even had the chance to look when the appointment was! I just assumed it'd be weeks/months away. Anyway, the lady said "do you want to reschedule it? When would you like?" So I said "same time next week?" "Yep, fine". Went in, had some morphine (WOWWWW!!!! FANTASTIC!!!!), woke up, job done. Super.

**I don't know if the short life-span of the average American can be blamed on healthcare or obesity.
  • Cheapish runabout cars (I'm not talking about old bangers) are more expensive here, but higher-end cars are cheaper than in the UK, but most cars are often a lower spec than their UK/Europe versions. You've possibly seen the Top Gear test drives of US cars - the interior is made from "old wheelie bins" etc. etc. But if you want a 5-litre monster here, go ahead - it won't cost a fortune to buy nor a large amount of road tax (but there is vehicle tax here - except it goes to fund schools and firemen. Very odd.) And car dealers in USA are far less willing to do a deal to get the sale, which seems very un-American.

• As we all know, petrol in UK is just frighteningly expensive. It's 53p/litre in CA, and much less almost everywhere else in the US.

• On the subject of cars, you'll probably pay less in parking fees in a lifetime of US driving than you would in a week of London driving.

• ...but if you get caught speeding by 20mph over the limit, you can kiss goodbye to $450+, as a colleague of mine did last week.

• Houses in California are unbelievably expensive, even compared to South East England. I have absolutely no idea how people afford to buy them. And they are built from old cardboard with single-glazed windows so thin you could mistake them for cling film. Consequently, rental prices are also sky high.

• Internet access can be expensive - it's often bundled with hundreds of TV channels and could set you back well over $100 per month, but AT&T do their broad-ish-band 3MB for $14.95 per month though. Plus taxes and fees of course. Don't get a landline - the taxes and fees will be about $40 per month on top of line rental.

• Cellphone/mobile lines are more expensive in US - we had 2x O2 pay as you go deals in UK which worked out at about £10/month each. We now have 2x T-Mobile SIMs in our phones for $30 each, including taxes and fees (no contract). But we don't use internet on our phones.

• Hotels are waaay cheaper in USA than UK.

• Everything in USA is plus taxes and fees. The price you see is never the price you pay.
As I said, this is what I've noticed. I'm sure the situation varies across the US, and many people will disagree. But, from my experience, if finance is your major motivation, you'll be better off in England. It's not my major motivation - doing new and different stuff is mine. Which is why I'm here!

Lordy lordy...I've just seen the size of my post! Time to finish this off and slot it in the forum...in the best Finbarr Saunders (not the politician) sense.
Wow that was long, but I agree with all of it, I even had wisdom teeth taken out on the NHS and was given an appointment two weeks after the dentist requested one.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnJ500
I think it's just different. Having been to the US about 20 times in 20 years, I think the UK is so much better in so many ways.
What made you visit 20 times in the last 20 years then? If I'd thought the U.K was so much better I would have just gone to Blackpool or something.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:43 am
Just Joined

JohnJ500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
What made you visit 20 times in the last 20 years then? If I'd thought the U.K was so much better I would have just gone to Blackpool or something.
Many reasons. Too much to go into here. And originally because I liked the USA. I still like the USA, but some aspects have made me tired and cynical (well, I was cynical to start with, but some aspects are really testing my patience). Still intrigued by the place. Have good friends here. If I conclude that the UK is better, that's based on experience and not armchair speculation. And also it's highly subjective. Some aspects are the same, some better, some worse. Overall, in my subjective opinion, better in the UK. If I'd gone to Blackpool only and said the UK is so much better, then, well, that would be small-minded. The new government could change everything though.