Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is England expensive

Is England expensive

Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about
Default Is England expensive

Going back to Old Blighty next week.My English neighbour just got back and said everything is at least twice as much and the Houses really high.

Is it that expensive in England right now?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is England expensive

Twice as high as what?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Twice as high as what?
As prices in the USA?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

We're headed out to Arizona to live in November. I had a similar question to yours, but in reverse... comparing the cost of living between London and Phoenix for example.

What I could find, plus my limited personal experience of Phoenix & London, suggests that Phoenix is about 40% cheaper overall cost of living (compared to London) - but some things in UK are cheaper, such as mobile phones, utilities (approx 20%), cigarettes, health care (!), internet access, car insurance. Oh, this 40% cheaper bit is skewed by health care etc - dentistry in UK is typically much (much!) cheaper than the US, and you can take out of the equation the need frequently to top up your employee health insurance with a significant chunk of your own income... If you compare prices and adjust for relative buying power (percentage of your 'after tax' income that is needed to pay for each individual category of item) then I'd say Phoenix is about 2/3 cost of living in London.

It costs more in UK, esp the SE, to have a similar sized home.

I guess it depends on what's important to you and where you're going to be, plus what income you'll have...

Oh, lastly, in my limited experience, beef steaks are smaller than in US but generally taste better, and generally food is much cheaper in US - eating out in the UK is getting better as far as quality goes - it's still pretty poor compared to many other countries, yet is generally good enough. Continental Europe has generally better food but it is in my restricted experience (larger cities of Western/Northern Europe + Italy) more expensive.

Chuck some specific aspects out to this thread and I'll shoot some prices back at you - I live in the SE. Until November!

Cheers

Harry
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt that depend where you live?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
We're headed out to Arizona to live in November. I had a similar question to yours, but in reverse... comparing the cost of living between London and Phoenix for example.

What I could find, plus my limited personal experience of Phoenix & London, suggests that Phoenix is about 40% cheaper overall cost of living (compared to London) - but some things in UK are cheaper, such as mobile phones, utilities (approx 20%), cigarettes, health care (!), internet access, car insurance. Oh, this 40% cheaper bit is skewed by health care etc - dentistry in UK is typically much (much!) cheaper than the US, and you can take out of the equation the need frequently to top up your employee health insurance with a significant chunk of your own income... If you compare prices and adjust for relative buying power (percentage of your 'after tax' income that is needed to pay for each individual category of item) then I'd say Phoenix is about 2/3 cost of living in London.

It costs more in UK, esp the SE, to have a similar sized home.

I guess it depends on what's important to you and where you're going to be, plus what income you'll have...

Oh, lastly, in my limited experience, beef steaks are smaller than in US but generally taste better, and generally food is much cheaper in US - eating out in the UK is getting better as far as quality goes - it's still pretty poor compared to many other countries, yet is generally good enough. Continental Europe has generally better food but it is in my restricted experience (larger cities of Western/Northern Europe + Italy) more expensive.

Chuck some specific aspects out to this thread and I'll shoot some prices back at you - I live in the SE. Until November!

Cheers

Harry
Thanks Harry,we are just going back for a visit.
I was thinking of keeping our 2 suticases as light as possible but now I think I will pack most of my clothes USA side. I was going to buy most of them in England.
Though I know I have to buy something,can't resist.

It is so nice to be going back but our time will go by far too quickly.

All my best to you.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little out of touch with buying clothes in the US, but last time I looked (last July), clothes were approx the same cost, in general. Except for good quality Jeans and good quality mens' shirts - they're cheaper in the US, by about 25%.

Enjoy your visit - and bring an umbrella!

Cheers

Harry
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

What I could find, plus my limited personal experience of Phoenix & London, suggests that Phoenix is about 40% cheaper overall cost of living (compared to London)
I'd be very wary of making such broad comparisons. Which bit of Phoenix and which bit of London? There are places in Phoenix where you can get houses for virtually nothing but you probably wouldn't want to live there.

Just bought a house in Phoenix, I got a good deal but they certainly weren't giving it away like in some of the suburbs.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Well lets put it this way....England is held to legal randsom by its goverment..the avergage price of a gallon of gas $5.70 the averag price of a semi detached house or duplex i think you call it is $225,000 so in essence very expensive!!!

The miniumum wage is widespread that there will be no new home owners for some time, but the slumlords will profit from it all.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:13 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivDee
As prices in the USA?
Barnsely must have improved then if a house there costs twice as much as this.

Sticker price only $55million
Attached Thumbnails Is England expensive-house.jpg  
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are living now. I find food prices in UK to be quite cheap and houses to be about the same.
Arizona is cheaper than here though.
If you were in NY then you may find UK to be a bargain.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Twice as high as what?
Twice as much as under Labour
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivDee
As prices in the USA?
That's akin to asking 'how long is a piece of string'.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Where in England?
I can feel the old "London does not mean the whole of the UK" rant coming on.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Depends where you are living now. I find food prices in UK to be quite cheap and houses to be about the same.
Arizona is cheaper than here though.
If you were in NY then you may find UK to be a bargain.
Exactly, it depends where you live, and there are lots of extra expenses here that UK residents take for granted.

Take eating out , you can pretty much add on 30% just for tips and tax.

Gas may be cheaper here , but the cars get less MPG and generally the distance you drive will be greater, and the public transportation system is limited.

Houses are cheaper though, so all in all, I think you may better off here financially, just don't get sick !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.