British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Engaged to a US citizen and need help on immigration process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/engaged-us-citizen-need-help-immigration-process-105850/)

robmcintosh Nov 29th 2001 10:45 pm

I have recently become happily engaged to a beautiful texas girl and, after deciding that it would be best if I move to the States, we are now considering the options on how best to achieve this ...
where to get married ?
how quickly will I be able to start working in the US ?
what problems are we likley to encounter ?
...etc
any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

jeffreyhy Nov 29th 2001 11:21 pm

Rob,

Find a post in this newsgroup by Alvena or Rete (aka Rita). Find the URL for Doc Steen's web site following their signatures. Read Doc Steen's site thoroughly. Then read it again.

Regards and best wishes, JEff

Originally posted by robmcintosh
I have recently become happily engaged to a beautiful texas girl and, after deciding that it would be best if I move to the States, we are now considering the options on how best to achieve this ...
where to get married ?
how quickly will I be able to start working in the US ?
what problems are we likley to encounter ?
...etc

Ameriscot Nov 30th 2001 12:13 am

Since you will probably be dealing with the US Consulate in London, do check out their very comprehensive visa website.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/visaindex.htm

Rete Nov 30th 2001 1:08 am

Here are the sites Jeff was referring to.

There are several methods. The fastest and easiest is to enter the US cleanly, marry, and file for AOS. Depending on where you live you can work in 1 day to 3 months after filing.

However, and it is a great big however, if your fiancee would be using the Dallas INS office ... go the K-1 Fiancee route. It takes about 6 months to get but once you get here, marry and go to Dallas INS with your adjustment petition, you are adjusted the very same day and will become a conditional permanent resident the same day with all the rights to work, etc. that others wait up to 4 years to accomplish.

Have fun reading.

Ladiegrey Nov 30th 2001 11:41 am

" Let the games commence! "......lol, i recommend all said above ;)

Moonrose13 Dec 1st 2001 12:07 am

Dear Rob,

<< I have recently become happily engaged to a beautiful texas girl and, after
deciding that it would be best if I move to the States, we are now considering the
options on how best to achieve this ... where to get married ? how quickly will I be
able to start working in the US ? what problems are we likley to encounter ? ...etc

Congratulations! And the best of luck to you and your fiancee. I wish I could help
you. My husband and I married each other about four-and-a-half years ago in
Singapore. At the time he applied for a PR Visa, the K3 did not exist. So much has
changed in immigration since my husband went through it. He has now been in the
United States just over two years. It was a very long process for us. I am so glad
that married couples can now go through the K3 process. You might want to do some
research on it. And I am sure those who are going through that route or have gone
through it will gladly help you.

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Jean Dec 1st 2001 7:26 am

>
[usenetquote2]> > Does that mean in other parts of the U.S. it's advisable to marry first and then[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > file for AOS? Or am I misreading Rete's message?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Thanks, Alvena! I've been reading (and re-reading) that section of the Steen site.
The whole process is *so* convoluted. I think I need to start a new thread... but I
really appreciate your pointing me to the "tourist adjustment" section. Good
information there!

Regards, Jean

robmcintosh Dec 7th 2001 9:26 pm

Thanks

I'd just like to thank all who've replied to this. We (myself and Yvette) now feel alot move informed, dont feel alone, and have found some very useful sites.
Thankyou all,
Rob

Harry Dec 8th 2001 2:14 pm

Rob,
I posted to your other thread, but I just wanted to say what a small world it is! I am also engaged to a beautiful Texas girl (though she grew up mainly in Colorado - ages 5-15). I am also from England like you. Does your sweetie live in the DFW area? Mine lives about 30 minutes west of Fort Worth. And what do you think of Texas? I really like it over there. Anyway, best of luck with your upcoming petition. Hopefully, they'll have sped up some by the time they get to you guys!

-Harry

ps. drop me an email if you like: [email protected]