Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

End of the road for "Little Chef"

End of the road for "Little Chef"

Old Feb 28th 2005, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all
Default Re: End of the road for "Little Chef"

Originally Posted by psb182
we call them "little theif"......just went home for a couple weeks and went in one.......breakkie for 2 and 2 coffies almost 16 quid :scared:
Damn! I was going to post the 'Little Thief' thing...

Pat
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Ah, that does bring back memories! Many (many) years ago when we lived in Brussels and would make the annual pilgrimage back to the West Highlands, we'd drive to Calais, take the ferry, drive to Earls Court and onto the MotoRail train, get off in the morning in Sterling and head north to Oban ... and the first stop was always the Little Chef! This was a nice clean one run by cheerful people, and there was nothing like the smell of that fry-up in the mountain air.

I wonder if it's still there ... I'll have to ask my sister.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

It makes me laugh that your food always comes out looking exactly like it does in the picture, right down to the last baked bean!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Talking Re: End of the road for "Little Chef"

As a HGV driver I hated Little Chef. I would be starving flippin' hungry and come up to a Little Chef on a major trunk road, then see that sign outside "NO H.G.V's". That used to irritate the living crap out of me.
More often than not the only time the car parks were full was on bank holiday weekends when the gullible British public would commence their bi annual caravan exodus to rain sodden campsites and wind lashed seafronts. All stopping at Little Chef for a cremated breakfast that looked like it had already been eaten. Sloppily served by some spotty slip of a kid with a face full of dripping acne, the waitressing skills of a arthritic chimpanzee and the speed of a snail carrying a bag of very heavy shopping.
How can anyone honestly fondly enjoy remembering the first degree burns that were inflicted by the incompetant design of those individual stainless steel tea pots, yes, the one's that poured the scalding hot tea all over your lap as you tried to fill a cup. Nip in for a quick cuppa and come out 5 minutes later singing soprano and looking like you just wet yourself.
I am only suprised that it took so long for the public to actually realise what a shower of shite Little Chef actually was.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Few things got my Dad as fired up as a Little Chef meal. Now that I'm older, can't say I blame him.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
As a HGV driver I hated Little Chef. I would be starving flippin' hungry and come up to a Little Chef on a major trunk road, then see that sign outside "NO H.G.V's". That used to irritate the living crap out of me.
More often than not the only time the car parks were full was on bank holiday weekends when the gullible British public would commence their bi annual caravan exodus to rain sodden campsites and wind lashed seafronts. All stopping at Little Chef for a cremated breakfast that looked like it had already been eaten. Sloppily served by some spotty slip of a kid with a face full of dripping acne, the waitressing skills of a arthritic chimpanzee and the speed of a snail carrying a bag of very heavy shopping.
How can anyone honestly fondly enjoy remembering the first degree burns that were inflicted by the incompetant design of those individual stainless steel tea pots, yes, the one's that poured the scalding hot tea all over your lap as you tried to fill a cup. Nip in for a quick cuppa and come out 5 minutes later singing soprano and looking like you just wet yourself.
I am only suprised that it took so long for the public to actually realise what a shower of shite Little Chef actually was.

so did you like it or not?
Old Mar 5th 2005, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Talking Re: End of the road for "Little Chef"

Originally Posted by psb182
so did you like it or not?
LMFAO
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:01 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone remember the 'Happy Eater' symbol?

It looked like a smiley face side on, with a hand pointing to its open mouth.

I remember reading that they changed the symbol by removing the hand because people said it looked like the guy was trying to make himself be sick.Lol,,,,,
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:03 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

GUFFAW!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Does anyone remember the 'Happy Eater' symbol?

It looked like a smiley face side on, with a hand pointing to its open mouth.

I remember reading that they changed the symbol by removing the hand because people said it looked like the guy was trying to make himself be sick.Lol,,,,,
I was going to add the very same statement to my last post on this thread but wasn't sure how many people would remember their logo.
Happy Eater? Happy Eater? Don't even get me started on Happy ****** Eater!!!!!!
Happy Eater made Little Chef look like The Savoy Grill!!!!!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:36 am
Gem of many colours

Alexandrite is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband worked at a Little CHef as a teen and after being told to put the toilet scrubber in the same dish washer with the dishes, that was the end of Little Chef for everyone he knew (and liked).
Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:04 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sloppily served by some spotty slip of a kid with a face full of dripping acne, the waitressing skills of a arthritic chimpanzee and the speed of a snail carrying a bag of very heavy shopping.

Err, Flyergirl - any comment?
Old Mar 11th 2005, 3:01 am
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by dbj1000
How odd. I remember Little Chef as being over-priced, stinking of stale fags and cold grease, and serving all-day-breakfasts that had sat under a heat lamp until the grease-slick chips and egg had welded to the dirty plate!

...but I didn't go that often, as you can imagine. Perhaps it was an acquired taste.

I won't be mourning their loss.
the one thing you could always rely on with Little Chef was that the cardboard food would always taste the same, wherever you might be in the country ..

very reassuring ...