Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The end of our American dream - Maybe?

The end of our American dream - Maybe?

Old Mar 30th 2019, 7:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of our American dream - Maybe?

Originally Posted by civilservant
2 years down the line, sure.... won't help at all in the here and now.
Why 2 years down the line?

I'm not a fatalist as some are. He is over the age of 57 1/2 and can take from his retirement account to help with expenses for the next two years, without penalties, if it takes that long for the Mrs. to be approved.

Finding a job is a bit more difficult but if you are willing to take employment, even if it is not at the same rate you were paid before but has benefits, then that helps with the here and now.

If you don't have healthcare, go to a public hospital. They will work with you to reduce your bill and setup a monthly payment plan. And, please, do not tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I have first hand knowledge of going through cancer treatment without healthcare. I've seen an invoice for over $89,000 reduced to $19,875 and many of the drugs were given for free. If you wait for it to go to collection, you can settle for 25 to 30 cents on the dollar for a total of $6,000.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 7:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Here's another thought...

If we did the gypsy life for a few years, staying wherever the work takes me, are there insurance companies that work that way? I thought most were state-centric.

I guess the same applies to a lot of stuff. I should maintain at least a PO box in Florida.
I can't judge by our healthcare before age 65 as husband gets his from the State of New York's teachers union CSEA. Even without telling them we are traveling they pay all medical and hospital bills before medicare and now their supplemental plus does the same.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 9:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another thought...

If we did the gypsy life for a few years, staying wherever the work takes me, are there insurance companies that work that way? I thought most were state-centric. I guess the same applies to a lot of stuff. I should maintain at least a PO box in Florida.
I saw places between St. Petersburg and the De Soto Pier that looked good for surf fishing if you could get a spot for the trailer.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Why 2 years down the line?

I'm not a fatalist as some are. He is over the age of 57 1/2 and can take from his retirement account to help with expenses for the next two years, without penalties, if it takes that long for the Mrs. to be approved.
Not without penalties - the age to avoid penalties for an IRA withdrawal is 59 1/2. There is an exception if the account holder is permanently disabled, but given SS takes two years to work that out, I doubt the exception would apply. You can withdraw Roth IRA contributions without penalty because tax has already been paid on them.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 11:56 pm
Concierge

Ooops ... right 59-1/2
Old Mar 31st 2019, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

'Generally, early withdrawal from an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) prior to age 59½ is subject to being included in gross income plus a 10 percent additional tax penalty. There are exceptions to the 10 percent penalty, such as using IRA funds to pay your medical insurance premium after a job loss. For more information, see Hardships, Early Withdrawals and Loans.'
Old Mar 31st 2019, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

No two situations are the same, but take some encouragement. The company I worked for moved from California to York Pennsylvania when I was 60 and I managed to find a job to see me out until I retired at 65. I've changed jobs five times, six if you count two years in the RAF. Three weeks is longest I've been out of work in fifty years. I've been fortunate to have had a network of friends and fellow Brits. Good luck hope, it all works out for you
Old Mar 31st 2019, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have lost your job, the age limit to avoid the 10% penalty is 55. However, that will be a last resort.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you have lost your job, the age limit to avoid the 10% penalty is 55. However, that will be a last resort.
That applies only to 401(k)s and not IRAs. Of course, if you have significant savings in the former, it's a possible way to go.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly should be a last resort. My 401k and the fact I own my house keep me from financial hardship. Living on pensions alone would be a financial strain.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

jmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond reputejmin has a reputation beyond repute

If you're under 55, you can receive substantially equal periodic payments under the IRS 72(t) rule to also avoid the 10% penalty, although you will have to continue taking distributions until you reach 59.5. Most people are unaware of this.

A tax period in which you have no income can be a good time to do roth conversions, if you have other assets to live on in the meantime. This will let you convert your pre-tax retirement funds into post tax funds at a low marginal tax rate. This makes sense if you will be in a higher tax bracket in retirement (pension).

Old Apr 6th 2019, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Concur with the others that the best bet is probably staying put, and renting out the house. As you would be well aware, Pensacola is a popular retirement spot (for obvious reasons) and if your house is paid off, I think you should do everything possible to not close off the option of retiring there.

Medicaid may also be an option for you if your income drops below a certain level, as you are diabetic.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Figured I would update this thread one year on...

The plant closed at the end of September, although I was retained until the end of October to finalize the transition.

I had a job lined up in healthcare on the east coast of Florida, near Kennedy Space Center, to start mid-November. Before I started that, I was offered a job at my previous employer's sister company in Panama City, FL which I accepted as it was a LOT closer to our daughter and family in Montgomery. Pretty much the same salary and benefits as my previous job. So, we are now living in our RV in Panama City, saving like crazy for retirement.

Now, another thought that hit me in view of the whole COVID situation is, if the previous company had not sold out, I would probably be unemployed now as they would NOT be considered essential and chances of finding another job now is much slimmer than a year ago.

My new company is in the service business and classed as essential, so I should be safe. At least for now.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Figured I would update this thread one year on...

The plant closed at the end of September, although I was retained until the end of October to finalize the transition.

I had a job lined up in healthcare on the east coast of Florida, near Kennedy Space Center, to start mid-November. Before I started that, I was offered a job at my previous employer's sister company in Panama City, FL which I accepted as it was a LOT closer to our daughter and family in Montgomery. Pretty much the same salary and benefits as my previous job. So, we are now living in our RV in Panama City, saving like crazy for retirement. .....

Now, another thought that hit me in view of the whole COVID situation is, if the previous company had not sold out, I would probably be unemployed now as they would NOT be considered essential and chances of finding another job now is much slimmer than a year ago.

My new company is in the service business and classed as essential, so I should be safe. At least for now. ....
Thank you for the update.

Congratulations on making a relatively easy transition from your previous employer to your new role, and especially on finding yourself in a role that appears to be "essential" in the current global situation.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Very pleased to hear you landed on your feet.

Congrats..... all the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.