Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

End of the "American Dream"

Wikiposts

End of the "American Dream"

Old May 18th 2009, 2:13 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of the "American Dream"

Good luck, I know what's it like when your head won't work! not for the same reasons but I know!
I don't know if this is available in the States? but in the UK the container firms that transport house contents, such as, we where lucky enough to have in the UK to move here. the containers don't tend to be full, and they pack them in tight to restrict movement on the crossing, even in our 2!!! containers. there was 3 foot in one and about 10 foot in the other, and the companies transported at a cheaper cost to people with very little (buttons) just to fill the containers as they pay for the sq footage as well as weight and sq ft is more expensive I believe?? I only heard about this as I had tonnes of Ozzie and NZ friends in the UK who used this, maybe they do this from the US to UK also and maybe you can afford to salvage more than 4 suitcases! the only down side is the time and clearing customs.
next idea is get a trusted friend or relative to come over to support you and use their baggage allowance? I bet they would come even at their own expense, if you can't manage it?
you are the best of British, you took the risk and arn't afraid to say, been there, done that, good luck in your next adventure home.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all

Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for you. I am sure it is an emotional time.

I just moved from Newcastle to Arizona with my two children, my husband went ahead of us a month earlier.

I was allowed 6 suitcases with BA. I paid to take 3 extra suitcases, maximum 23 kg each and each one cost 72 GBP (216 GBP total). Also I took on 3 small suitcases as carryone luggage and I filled each of them with some of the heaviest things I was taking, ie books. The hand luggage is not weighed so doesn't even matter if it weighs more than 23 kg as long as you can lift it into the overhead compartments. I also bought a big handbag and stuffed that too.

I think with BA I could pay for up to 10 extra suitcases. As long as each one did not weigh more than the max weight allowed.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toonyank

I was allowed 6 suitcases with BA. I paid to take 3 extra suitcases, maximum 23 kg each and each one cost 72 GBP (216 GBP total). Also I took on 3 small suitcases as carryone luggage and I filled each of them with some of the heaviest things I was taking, ie books. The hand luggage is not weighed so doesn't even matter if it weighs more than 23 kg as long as you can lift it into the overhead compartments. I also bought a big handbag and stuffed that too.
Depends on the airline, the ticket and how busy they are...hand luggage usually has a 10kg limit as well as size limit.
Old May 18th 2009, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the airline, the ticket and how busy they are...hand luggage usually has a 10kg limit as well as size limit.
It also depends on the airport /country you are departing from. I've boarded with hand luggage from the US that was refused on connecting flights from UK airports.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:14 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It also depends on the airport /country you are departing from. I've boarded with hand luggage from the US that was refused on connecting flights from UK airports.
you have to be careful with hand luggage they are just allowing a hand bag and carry on case, althought I did a year ago sucessfully argue my case when the air line without a comment let a man on with a laptop bag and case and then said I couldn't take on my teeny weeny bag and case!
Old May 19th 2009, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your sad news Sofi, hope you find the happiness you deserve when you get back home
Old May 19th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your situation
Originally Posted by Sofi
I'll get my head round it eventually. Just wish I had not uprooted my life for him (or been totally besotted!!)
Console yourself in thinking that if you hadn't you would have probably spent the rest of your life wondering what if.
Old May 19th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Also, there's no real "American" dream. There's the "Dream", and that can happen anywhere at any time.

There's still the future.
Old May 19th 2009, 7:33 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
Also, there's no real "American" dream. There's the "Dream", and that can happen anywhere at any time.

There's still the future.
Exactly right.....the American dream has been leveraged as a powerful marketing tool...and that's all it is. One's dream can happen anywhere as you so rightly point out.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:32 am
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

I uprooted my life in the UK too for my American ex husband. We broke up as well, severa years back. I did stay though, and a friendship turned into a relationship and here I am, just recently engaged and expecting

I totally understand you wanting to go back to England though - had I not ended up here with Harry, I probably would have gone too. I am sorry - it's not an easy thing to go through, I know, believe me. But, you will get through it - promise.

*HUGE hugs* XXX

Last edited by JayBowyer; May 20th 2009 at 1:52 am.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:38 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JayBowyer
I uprooted my life in the UK too for my American ex husband. We broke up as well, severa years back. I did stay though, and a friendship turned into a relationship and here I am, just recently engaged and expecting

I totally understand you wanting to go back to England though - had I not ended up here with Harry, I probably would have gone too. I am sorry - it's not an easy thing to go through, I know, believe me. But, you will get through it - promise.

*HUGE hugs* XXX
I suspect your post was for the OP and not me....no problem though.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:38 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Some airlines/flights check the weight of the carry-on bags. On a flight from the US to Africa, they had someone in the jetway stopping passengers and physically trying to lift the carry-on to estimate the weight. Some bags were rejected. The overhead bins have a weight limit. Heavy bags can crash down on someone's head if they shift during rough weather.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Whymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond reputeWhymewhyme has a reputation beyond repute

It was a long time coming. I think a marriage can only work if both parties are fully committed (in every way), and he just wasn't. I wasn't enough for him.

I'll get my head round it eventually. Just wish I had not uprooted my life for him (or been totally besotted!!)
I'm in the same boat, believe me. What else can you do but move on. 4 years of this, putting life on hold..

Keep your head up.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:53 am
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Originally Posted by srah
I suspect your post was for the OP and not me....no problem though.
Yes I edited - I always seem to do that...sorry!
Old May 20th 2009, 2:19 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all

Well looks like my "American dream" is over (not to mention my marriage), but I won't bore anybody with the details.

I was just wondering if anybody could advise me on the cheapest way of sending my belongings back home to Manchester. My belongings would amount to about 4 large suitcases (excluding what I could take as checked luggage on the flight with me).

I know I should find out for myself but my brain is not really working at the moment

Thank you
Sofi I am so sorry to hear!

My husband and I had checked shipping costs back before he came here and to mail a 50lb package was outrageous, closer to the hundreds...like 2-3 hundred dollars... I would check with the airline as you get 2 50lb suitcases for interntional travel and 2 carryons...add the other two baggages and it would be less than shipping it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.