British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Encourage me, What do you like? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/encourage-me-what-do-you-like-348962/)

Jaxbar Jan 17th 2006 6:40 pm

Encourage me, What do you like?

Okay so we all know the downside of being in a new and strange place, but I need to know whats worth staying for? I would say for starters the weather (ignoring tornados, hurricanes) sunsets, people who are genuinely friendly down here in the south, seafood and... now I am struggling and need your help. Ideas anyone :(

Partystar Jan 17th 2006 6:45 pm

Re: Encourage me, What do you like?

Some stuff is cheaper.

Pigtails Jan 17th 2006 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Okay so we all know the downside of being in a new and strange place, but I need to know whats worth staying for? I would say for starters the weather (ignoring tornados, hurricanes) sunsets, people who are genuinely friendly down here in the south, seafood and... now I am struggling and need your help. Ideas anyone :(

I'm here! :D

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 17th 2006 6:48 pm

Theres plenty worth staying for. How long have you been here?

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2006 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
Some stuff is cheaper.

:)
Disneyworld too :)

Jaxbar Jan 17th 2006 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Theres plenty worth staying for. How long have you been here?

3 months, not planning on going anywhere, just hoping for land of milk and honey stories.

CarlM Jan 17th 2006 6:57 pm

3 months, not planning on going anywhere, just hoping for land of milk and honey stories.

Dont linger over medical insurance premiums then..

I have this philosophy; I cant afford to go back so im stuck here..

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 17th 2006 7:00 pm

Ah you're now in that crappy stage where the honeymoon is over and you;re thinking "Now what?"

Unfortunately there is no milk and honey, but if its any consolation I can tell you it does get better - if you let it. We've been here about 18 months now and for the first 4 or 5 I hated it, now we love it. Found the best way is to stop trying to be oh so British and just do as they natives do....Get a big truck, go ATV'ing/fishing/sailing/hunting, eat donuts and pecan pie, shop, buy a big house and associated stuff... Of course we still go to the local Brit shop for bits occasionally and we are still sarcy to everyone we know but we live the American Dream for what it is, which is not nirvana, just everyday life in a bigger house with fun bits thrown in.

PS we live near Ocala in North Central Florida, about 380 miles from you, and love it. Originally we lived in Palm Beach County, SE Florida and hated it.

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2006 7:03 pm

We've been here about 18 months now and for the first 4 or 5 I hated it, now we love it. Found the best way is to stop trying to be oh so British and just do as they natives do

By the sound of you on here I thought you'd been in the US for years. :)
Seems like you've really gone native then which must be the key.

britontour Jan 17th 2006 7:04 pm

I like the fact the apartment block here has 2 pools, a gym, tennis court and a basket ball court, if this was in England you would think I was living in the most expensive part of town but it just seems to be the norm out here.

Partystar Jan 17th 2006 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
By the sound of you on here I thought you'd been in the US for years. :)
Seems like you've really gone native then which must be the key.

I thought the same thing!

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2006 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by britontour
I like the fact the apartment block here has 2 pools, a gym, tennis court and a basket ball court

Ooooohhh. La-de-da ;)

BigDavyG Jan 17th 2006 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
I thought the same thing!

Bet you he speaks with a yank accent now and everything ;)

Partystar Jan 17th 2006 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by britontour
I like the fact the apartment block here has 2 pools, a gym, tennis court and a basket ball court, if this was in England you would think I was living in the most expensive part of town but it just seems to be the norm out here.

Yeah, it's the same where I live too, although I do live in the expensive part of town (shame I'm only renting!). When I talk to my friends back home & they ask me what it's like here, I tell them it's like living in a holiday resort, which it is!

Jaxbar Jan 17th 2006 7:08 pm

Ah you're now in that crappy stage where the honeymoon is over and you;re thinking "Now what?"

Unfortunately there is no milk and honey, but if its any consolation I can tell you it does get better - if you let it. We've been here about 18 months now and for the first 4 or 5 I hated it, now we love it. Found the best way is to stop trying to be oh so British and just do as they natives do....Get a big truck, go ATV'ing/fishing/sailing/hunting, eat donuts and pecan pie, shop, buy a big house and associated stuff... Of course we still go to the local Brit shop for bits occasionally and we are still sarcy to everyone we know but we live the American Dream for what it is, which is not nirvana, just everyday life in a bigger house with fun bits thrown in.

PS we live near Ocala in North Central Florida, about 380 miles from you, and love it. Originally we lived in Palm Beach County, SE Florida and hated it.

Oh I have fallen into the lifestyle too readily thats why I am sat on the sofa having eaten breakfast and lunch and not got dressed yet, watched Roseanne again just waiting to see what Dr Phils says I should do next. What did a peace loving, recycling, outspoken pescatarian do ending up in this hunting fishing shooting town? seriously thanks for your thoughts when I get a job and a purpose I m sure things will look more interesting.