Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment discrimination

Employment discrimination

Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment discrimination

For what it's worth, to echo waht others have said, you'll be lucky to find a job from outside of the country. Nigh on impossible to do at the best of times, the odds are even slimmer now.

Complaining will get you absolutely nowhere - don't even consider it, instead concentrate on what else you might do to up your chances once you get here. Research companies, find people's direct email addresses and phone numbers; get contacts.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Complaining will get you absolutely nowhere - don't even consider it, instead concentrate on what else you might do to up your chances once you get here. Research companies, find people's direct email addresses and phone numbers; get contacts.
The OP will find that the US' laws on discrimination are not as strong as those elsewhere, and it takes a huge burden of proof to actually charge a company with discrimination. The burden is usually on a complainant or group of complainants to file an official charge; it is only rarely that the government intervenes based upon a reported incident.

Whether or not this is right is another question altogether; I am merely saying that proving discrimination is almost always a fruitless effort.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopper40
I want to make a complaint
I disagree with other posters that this is not discrimination. File your complaint at http://www.eeoc.gov/ for the benefit of others and so the company comes to understand it can't do this, then get on with your job search elsewhere.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I disagree with other posters that this is not discrimination. File your complaint at http://www.eeoc.gov/ for the benefit of others and so the company understand it can't do this, then get on with your job search elsewhere.
Well.... you can do that, and maybe EEOC will slap them. But I've seen far more substantial cases where EEOC was involved (and I had direct knowledge of the case) and *nothing* happened. Can't say more, I've signed the Official Secrets Act.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well.... you can do that, and maybe EEOC will slap them. But I've seen far more substantial cases where EEOC was involved (and I had direct knowledge of the case) and *nothing* happened. Can't say more, I've signed the Official Secrets Act.
And I've seen cases where the EEOC slapped companies very hard. Throw in the complaint -- it doesn't cost you anything.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

And I've seen cases where the EEOC slapped companies very hard. Throw in the complaint -- it doesn't cost you anything.
The only thing about that is should the OP find himself applying for a position there in future......well, even though it's not legal and shouldn't have any impact....I wouldn't want to be the one who had made a sour grapes complaint on record.

Much as I dislike "The Man" - reality is that the employers really do hold 90% of the cards these days and you never know where you might be applying in future. Sad, but true.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:45 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Dan725
The only thing about that is should the OP find himself applying for a position there in future......well, even though it's not legal and shouldn't have any impact....I wouldn't want to be the one who had made a sour grapes complaint on record.

Much as I dislike "The Man" - reality is that the employers really do hold 90% of the cards these days and you never know where you might be applying in future. Sad, but true.
Wus!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I think it's more a case of having a US address on your resume than an active green card.
Agreed, in this economic climate it's going to be tough to get any traction without a US address and phone number. Most employers are not going to bother with a non-resident when they likely have a bunch of local people available for interview. The 'phone number can be fudged by using a service like Vonage and getting a US 'phone number, but that's only ggoing to get you so far.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wus!
Haha, yes....compliant fool I have become.....
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:17 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!!!
Newbie Brit (soon to be expat) here!
I got my legal resident green card in January 2009 and am planning to immigrate to USA within the next few months.

In the meantime I have been applying for jobs online.
I received an email reply to a job application. This is what I received...

"We are not hiring non US citizens. We have received many qualified US applications for this position and will be hiring from within our region"

I am deeply shocked, upset and offended by this reply.
Has anyone living or planning to live in USA ever had anything like this?
It isn't a federal government job or anything so I am pretty sure its unlawful for this company to discriminate on the grounds of national origin.

Advice anyone?
Did you make it clear that you have a Green Card and are immediately able to work legally in the US on arrival?

The response sounds like the employer does not want to hire candidates who require employment visas.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

DiamondLes is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not going to get into the discrimination argument but i have recently recieved my temp work permit and ssn as I recently married a USC. I have applied for countless jobs, mainly on line cos that seems to be the way to do it over here ,but have not had one reply due mainly, i think, to the fact they cannot check on previous employment and my qualifications mean next to nothing here. All i can do is keep on going for them untill someone gives me a break, which i think is what you will need to do.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DiamondLes
Im not going to get into the discrimination argument but i have recently recieved my temp work permit and ssn as I recently married a USC. I have applied for countless jobs, mainly on line cos that seems to be the way to do it over here ,but have not had one reply due mainly, i think, to the fact they cannot check on previous employment and my qualifications mean next to nothing here.
You can help yourself a little by getting your qualifications professionally evaluated: http://www.naces.org
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!!!
Newbie Brit (soon to be expat) here!
I got my legal resident green card in January 2009 and am planning to immigrate to USA within the next few months.

In the meantime I have been applying for jobs online.
I received an email reply to a job application. This is what I received...

"We are not hiring non US citizens. We have received many qualified US applications for this position and will be hiring from within our region"

I am deeply shocked, upset and offended by this reply.
Has anyone living or planning to live in USA ever had anything like this?
It isn't a federal government job or anything so I am pretty sure its unlawful for this company to discriminate on the grounds of national origin.

Advice anyone?
Hi:

From your posting, it looks like you came to the US for a short time and then immediately returned abroad. How long did you stay in the US in January? What were your results then?

As a general rule, I am kind of surprised you would get an e-mail like that. With limited exceptions, that is totally illegal. Pretty stupid in my opinion. The 1986 legislation which introduced employer sanctions ALSO introduced a prohibition against discrimination against people based upon alienage -- with limited circumstances.

That said, the individual remedies under the Immigration & Nationality Act are not that strong. And the enforcement people are more interested in preventing "unauthorized" aliens from working these days.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with other posters that this is not discrimination. File your complaint at http://www.eeoc.gov/ for the benefit of others and so the company comes to understand it can't do this, then get on with your job search elsewhere.
I am with u on this. This is blatent discrimination. No ifs and buts about it. What to do about it is another thing. But to try and say this is not discrimination is poop!

Actually putting on the email, were only hiring US citizens is quite obvious. Ok I agree that there might have been a slight communication problem on the part of the company. Or should I say that I hope it was a case of we all speak the same language but its still foreign. If I got a response like that I would be replying to it with facts that even if it was the case they cant say it, I wouldnt give a rats ass about offending anyone either. You havent got the job so why be polite about it. What they are practicing is totally illegal! grrrr.. and i am amazed that half of you say its not discrimination. bloody amazed! If it had been the race card ie colour then I am sure the outcry would be loud. This is the same thing not colour but nationality!!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deedee13
I am with u on this. This is blatent discrimination. No ifs and buts about it. What to do about it is another thing. But to try and say this is not discrimination is poop!

Actually putting on the email, were only hiring US citizens is quite obvious. Ok I agree that there might have been a slight communication problem on the part of the company. Or should I say that I hope it was a case of we all speak the same language but its still foreign. If I got a response like that I would be replying to it with facts that even if it was the case they cant say it, I wouldnt give a rats ass about offending anyone either. You havent got the job so why be polite about it. What they are practicing is totally illegal! grrrr.. and i am amazed that half of you say its not discrimination. bloody amazed! If it had been the race card ie colour then I am sure the outcry would be loud. This is the same thing not colour but nationality!!
Hi:

There is alternative to EEOC -- http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/OcahoMain/...Bcomplaint.htm

The two remedies are mutually exclusive.

BTW, I wonder if OP was clear that he had already immigrated to the US. I can see from his post that it may not have been clear on his application that he had recently immigrated and just returned home for presumably a short time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.