Reload this Page >

Employment Contracts and furloughs

Employment Contracts and furloughs

Old Nov 15th 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

stevie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment Contracts and furloughs

Hi all,
I'm new to this so please bear with me! I have to give my employer 3 months notice if wish to leave, and likewise they must give me 6 months if they want me to leave. Now the situation is that i want to leave and they want me to stay on longer. Throughout the year, we have had mandatory furloughs imposed on, so my question is whether these furloughs do in fact constitute a break in contract, and do i really have to work the notice terms??
Any advice would be grand!
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment Contracts and furloughs

Originally Posted by stevie123
Hi all,
I'm new to this so please bear with me! I have to give my employer 3 months notice if wish to leave, and likewise they must give me 6 months if they want me to leave. Now the situation is that i want to leave and they want me to stay on longer. Throughout the year, we have had mandatory furloughs imposed on, so my question is whether these furloughs do in fact constitute a break in contract, and do i really have to work the notice terms??
Any advice would be grand!
What visa are you here on?
What does your contract say about furloughs?
If you quit, and not give the 3 months notice, are you prepared not to list this employer on your resume?
Are you prepared to go home right away?

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rene and thanks for the reply.
I am GC holder, and my contract says nothing about furloughs, I am actually here still on my European contract. I had thought that if I was to be made "unemployed" through furlough, they should have given me sufficient notice per contract (ie 6 months), but they did not.
Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am GC holder, and my contract says nothing about furloughs, I am actually here still on my European contract. I had thought that if I was to be made "unemployed" through furlough, they should have given me sufficient notice per contract (ie 6 months), but they did not.
Thanks
OK, having a GC makes a difference. So this isn't actually a visa or immigration question. I'm going to move it to the USA forum.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2009, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank You.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Hmmm furlough means laid off without pay? Or time off with pay.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rete

Furlough means time off WITHOUT pay. We are currently undergoing one full weeks furlough every month for 6 months. I am senior management so am only expected to do 3 of the 6 imposed upon us, but have been instructed to sign on for unemployment to cover the weeks that I am technically "unemployed" from the company. Because of this "unemployment" is my contract broken by the company? As I said earlier, they certainly didn't give 6 months notice of impending furloughs which is what my contract states they should give me if they wanted to get rid of me? I just wonder how I would stand with regards to shortening MY 3 months notice given to move on to another job.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:34 pm

Hi Rete

Furlough means time off WITHOUT pay. We are currently undergoing one full weeks furlough every month for 6 months. I am senior management so am only expected to do 3 of the 6 imposed upon us, but have been instructed to sign on for unemployment to cover the weeks that I am technically "unemployed" from the company. Because of this "unemployment" is my contract broken by the company? As I said earlier, they certainly didn't give 6 months notice of impending furloughs which is what my contract states they should give me if they wanted to get rid of me? I just wonder how I would stand with regards to shortening MY 3 months notice given to move on to another job.
The way I see it, they aren't firing you or laying you off, never to return to work for them again. Lots of companies are doing this imposed furlough with their employees to get through the bad economic times. You are still employed with that company, you just aren't receiving pay. Evidently you are allowed to collect unemployment for the week you don't receive pay from the company.

I don't think they've broken the contract, as they clearly are not letting you go forever..you are due to come back to work when your week of furlough is up.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What state are you in?

Most states, notice periods aren't enforceable unless your in an executive position, in which case, you can just say smell you later and walk out the door with all your shit and your obligation is done.

Edit to add....walking out the door might make you ineligible for unemployment assistance though, but down my way furloughs forcing you to leave would allow you to claim being laid off essentially.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 15th 2009 at 3:46 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks. So my best option is to then negotiate a leave date and be sensible. I presume that I am fully entitled to take all vacation owed as part of the notice period? And then also the same for any notice due next year?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks. So my best option is to then negotiate a leave date and be sensible. I presume that I am fully entitled to take all vacation owed as part of the notice period? And then also the same for any notice due next year?
If you haven't used up all your vacation time by your last day of employment, the company should pay that out to you in you last paycheck.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A furlough is a breach of contract, assuming that your contract did not include provision for it.

As you have accepted the modification for the previous furloughs, that is history.

If asked to take a furlough in future I would point out that this is a breach of your employment contract and refuse to take it.

If they carry on then they have broken the contract and you would be entitled to damages as well as not carrying on working for them.

My take, best to check with a lawyer which I am not.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on your state...some places you just lose it some you'll be owed it in final paycheck.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob. I'm in Illinois. And I am in an Exec position. And even with my contract, I believe the furlough situation basically treated me as an at will employee. I claimed unemployment and looked for other jobs.whilst I clearly don't want to leave on bad terms, I am really not wanting to stay for 3 months!
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks Bob. I'm in Illinois. And I am in an Exec position. And even with my contract, I believe the furlough situation basically treated me as an at will employee. I claimed unemployment and looked for other jobs.whilst I clearly don't want to leave on bad terms, I am really not wanting to stay for 3 months!
CEO, CTO, COO, CFO level?

Otherwise you ain't exec level to worry about non-competes and notice periods.

Just walk out. It's not like they'll honour giving you notice periods if it suited them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.