Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment Background Checks

Employment Background Checks

Old Mar 13th 2006, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

d4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Employment Background Checks

I know a recruiter quite well here and she says the checks revolve around whether or not you have any debt and if you are an immigrant then confirmation of your status

My last manager(in the UK) was never contacted by my agency and when I went perm here my current firm never checked my employment background either

Last edited by d4vid; Mar 13th 2006 at 8:56 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d4vid
I know a recruiter quite well here and she says the checks revolve around whether or not you have any debt and if you are an immigrant then confirmation of your status

My last manager(in the UK) was never contacted by my agency and when I went perm here my current firm never checked my employment background either
That's pretty much what happened with me when i moved here, but if you read further up the thread a friend of mine was asked a rather strange question by a recruiter ahead of a second interview last week.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d4vid

Are you talking about applicant checks in general? How is one's debt related to employment performance/eligibility for a job?

Immigrant status is only relevant as far as being able to fulfill the requirements of the I-9.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 1:27 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yep - as for employers i hear that they can only say you worked there for say 5 years and nothing else - well that's in the UK anyway.
Almost true- an employer may say anything they want to about an employee or ex-employee, however from a practical point, most will only divulge time of service, and job description- as there have been far too many lawsuits for divulging subjective material (ie he was late a lot, lazy, missed work often etc) that is not properly documented and demeans or damages the ex-employee.

As far as salary- it is also the habit here in the US to exaggerate one's history...both as far as experience and salary received. I suppose if an employer wants, they could find out what you were paid- as the electronic footprint most have is vast...and getting bigger every day.

One TV show gave the example of asking a couple on the street what their driver's license number and names were, and they would come back in 24 hours and tell the couple what they could find out about them. The next day they had their salaries, value of their house, mortgage value, types of vehicles driven, driver's history, property tax paid, previous divorces...and other personal info I would never have thought possible. This was all obtained from on-line sites and information brokers- such as credit card companies, credit reporting agencies, grocery store discount cards, warranty cards on major purchases and such. It was actually kinda scary.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Are you talking about applicant checks in general? How is one's debt related to employment performance/eligibility for a job?
It's to show moral character or somin'....if your shite with money you might be shite handling clients, and errr...do a runner