Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment Background Checks

Employment Background Checks

Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:41 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment Background Checks

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I like that article, but i'm confused by your last sentance - how did it lose them it at a later date ??

ANyway, the general consensus seems to be that salary info is not readily available to employers, is that right ??
It's not uncommon for someone to get kicked out of a job for lying on their resume years before.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Not really 100% on topic but it was drilled into me when I graduated university. It is illegal for a UK education establishment (school, college, university) to give out your transcripts to anyone but you, even with your permission. They can verify that you passed or failed but not what you took or what grade you got. That is unless the law changed in the last 5 years.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:02 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
It's not uncommon for someone to get kicked out of a job for lying on their resume years before.
I've heard of that, but in terms of your previous salary how could they find out ??
Your old employer can't divulge that info as far as i'm aware, is that correct ??
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:03 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Not really 100% on topic but it was drilled into me when I graduated university. It is illegal for a UK education establishment (school, college, university) to give out your transcripts to anyone but you, even with your permission. They can verify that you passed or failed but not what you took or what grade you got. That is unless the law changed in the last 5 years.
Yep - as for employers i hear that they can only say you worked there for say 5 years and nothing else - well that's in the UK anyway.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:08 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of that, but in terms of your previous salary how could they find out ??
Your old employer can't divulge that info as far as i'm aware, is that correct ??
Above board. Probably not, although I'm not sure.

More likely - find out on the side, fire for unrelated reason.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way of verifying using credit reference agencies - although employment can be verified by phone, salary not (usual to prove with payslips if ever needed) the tax form could be the unsticker, but as its not PAYE then you dont have to give the P45 equivalent to your new employer (i think!!)
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:19 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
It is a tricky one and I am in the same position I have just given my potential employer a 'range' and am still waiting to see what they may offer if I get the job.
Its tricky for the person i'm enquiring as they are currently significantly underpaid. So like the monster article stated, if you give them your real current salary you will prob continue to be underpaid.

I always find it strange that the first thing many employers try to do to a new employee is screw them over their salary - its hardly a good way to foster loyalty, etc, is it ??
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:32 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't know about here but in the UK you have to hand over P45? tax document to your new employer. The amount you have been paid in the current tax year is printed on it.
Though it is the norm in the UK you dont have to give your employer your P45, you can ask them to request a tax code from the relevant tax office. Which means you can be creative with your previous salary to a new employer to get the new salary you want. If they cant afford you or dont want to pay you that much, you may not want the job anyway.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't know about here but in the UK you have to hand over P45? tax document to your new employer. The amount you have been paid in the current tax year is printed on it.
Yes, I do know that. But here you fill out a new W-2 form everytime. I thought there was something new over here that I hadn't heard about and was probably going to find out later when it was too late.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway back in Blighty it would be the norm to exaggerate your current salary when negotiating a package with a potential new employer - legally they can not verify what you tell them (though there may be unofficial channels which they could use).
What I'm wondering is what is the situation regarding this in the US ??
Does the obligatory background check run by an employer show anything up or can a new employer legally approach your old one to verify the facts ??

All opinions welcomed though if anyone here has any hr experience or knows someone who has I'd love to get the inside scoop.
blag it, but don't take the piss because when you get hired is when you'll be able to negotiate your best salary and package, so make it a good one, something like around 20% blag on previous wouldn't be a problem, anything more and they'll know your taking the mick...and well, blag is good because your going to get bugger all improvements and decent pay raises once your hired
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:35 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bob
blag it, but don't take the piss because when you get hired is when you'll be able to negotiate your best salary and package, so make it a good one, something like around 20% blag on previous wouldn't be a problem, anything more and they'll know your taking the mick...and well, blag is good because your going to get bugger all improvements and decent pay raises once your hired
That's what I'm telling the person concerned.
As it happens they have asked for a 21% increase on their current salary but also blagged their current salary by a small amount.
It was just that a recent converstaion with a recruiter made them panic a bit. They were basically asked to confirm their current salary stated on the application form as "we don't want and discrepancies to emerge when we run our background checks".
I have to admit it sounds a bit of a strange thing to say to me
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...They were basically asked to confirm their current salary stated on the application form as "we don't want and discrepancies to emerge when we run our background checks".
I have to admit it sounds a bit of a strange thing to say to me
employer is probably blagging it too, hoping to stop people ask for to much
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:17 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bob
employer is probably blagging it too, hoping to stop people ask for to much
I tend to agree with you on that one
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I can't figure out why salary is even relevant - as already said, they should pay you what they think you are worth, not as little as they can get away with. It sounds like in the situation you described, someone at the prospective employer doesn't trust what they say they currently are being paid.

When I interviewed in Scotland for the job I went back for in 2000, the Dean of the Faculty made some smart arsed remark about how with the exchange rate and cheaper cost of living, the salary they were offering would be worth a lot more than my current salary. I wanted to tell him he had no ******* clue what he was talking about but decided not to.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by dunroving
I can't figure out why salary is even relevant - as already said, they should pay you what they think you are worth, not as little as they can get away with. It sounds like in the situation you described, someone at the prospective employer doesn't trust what they say they currently are being paid.

When I interviewed in Scotland for the job I went back for in 2000, the Dean of the Faculty made some smart arsed remark about how with the exchange rate and cheaper cost of living, the salary they were offering would be worth a lot more than my current salary. I wanted to tell him he had no ******* clue what he was talking about but decided not to.
Yep - its like I said earlier - they want to start a relationship with a new employee by screwing them - great way to do business.

It reminds me about a friend of mine. He was sent to an interview by a recruitment agency. At the interview the head man said "I don't trust people who use agencies - they're just after more money". My friend just looked at him and completely deadpan asked "Well, in the case why did you advertise this position through an agency". He then got up and left saying that he'd found enough out about his potential employeer to be able to make his decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.