Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employment Background Checks

Employment Background Checks

Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Employment Background Checks

Ok, this question isn't for me - I'm still having no luck job hunting unfortunately

Anyway back in Blighty it would be the norm to exaggerate your current salary when negotiating a package with a potential new employer - legally they can not verify what you tell them (though there may be unofficial channels which they could use).
What I'm wondering is what is the situation regarding this in the US ??
Does the obligatory background check run by an employer show anything up or can a new employer legally approach your old one to verify the facts ??

All opinions welcomed though if anyone here has any hr experience or knows someone who has I'd love to get the inside scoop.

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment Background Checks

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ok, this question isn't for me - I'm still having no luck job hunting unfortunately

Anyway back in Blighty it would be the norm to exaggerate your current salary when negotiating a package with a potential new employer - legally they can not verify what you tell them (though there may be unofficial channels which they could use).
What I'm wondering is what is the situation regarding this in the US ??
Does the obligatory background check run by an employer show anything up or can a new employer legally approach your old one to verify the facts ??

All opinions welcomed though if anyone here has any hr experience or knows someone who has I'd love to get the inside scoop.

Thanks

In my husband's job, they did verify his education (had to dig through and find everything and they actually contacted the university in the UK) and they wanted 3 former employers and contacted everyone of them - including his previous UK employer. So, not sure what jobs will go that far, but I'd always assume they would.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:51 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
In my husband's job, they did verify his education (had to dig through and find everything and they actually contacted the university in the UK) and they wanted 3 former employers and contacted everyone of them - including his previous UK employer. So, not sure what jobs will go that far, but I'd always assume they would.
Yeah, but in the UK they can't ask your previous employer about your salary.
What about over here, or will the background check they run with the likes of transunion show up your old salaries ??
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but in the UK they can't ask your previous employer about your salary.
What about over here, or will the background check they run with the likes of transunion show up your old salaries ??
I don't think Transunion would show up your salary. And I don't believe they can ask your salary. Or they may be able to ask and you don't have to legally tell them.

In the end.....the company is only going to pay you a) they think your worth, and b) what they can afford.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:04 pm
Thinking about it

I don't think Transunion would show up your salary. And I don't believe they can ask your salary. Or they may be able to ask and you don't have to legally tell them.

In the end.....the company is only going to pay you a) they think your worth, and b) what they can afford.
The reason I'm asking this is that someone I know was just asked for a second interview with a company.
Whilst on the call the recruiter also asked her to verify her current salary as they "didn't want any discrepancies to show up later on" - wtf is that meant to mean ???
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The reason I'm asking this is that someone I know was just asked for a second interview with a company.
Whilst on the call the recruiter also asked her to verify her current salary as they "didn't want any discrepancies to show up later on" - wtf is that meant to mean ???
I don't think they can do that..... I mean, credit companies can't verify your current salary - why could future employers?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When you start employment with the company can't they tell how much you have been paid from your tax documents?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:15 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

...asked her to verify her current salary as they "didn't want any discrepancies to show up later on" - wtf is that meant to mean ???
Maybe she claimed she was getting $600,000 and a health plan that gave her bonus miles for each visit to the doctor?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, welcome back. The boards have been very quiet this week.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:24 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

http://content.salary.monster.com/articles/histreq/

It seems that it is bad form to ask but an employer can,
The above article gives some ideas. it usually not worth being 'creative' as it is always there to catch you out later and can lose you a good job at any point.
I worked helping people find employment and it was often something that wouldnt have stopped them getting the job that they didnt say, that lost them it at a later date.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When you start employment with the company can't they tell how much you have been paid from your tax documents?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:29 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
By the way, welcome back. The boards have been very quiet this week.
Why thank you.
I've been back for a few days but I think I'll try to cut down my post count for a while - it was getting out of hand.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:31 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
http://content.salary.monster.com/articles/histreq/

It seems that it is bad form to ask but an employer can,
The above article gives some ideas. it usually not worth being 'creative' as it is always there to catch you out later and can lose you a good job at any point.
I worked helping people find employment and it was often something that wouldnt have stopped them getting the job that they didnt say, that lost them it at a later date.
I like that article, but i'm confused by your last sentance - how did it lose them it at a later date ??

ANyway, the general consensus seems to be that salary info is not readily available to employers, is that right ??
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Don't know about here but in the UK you have to hand over P45? tax document to your new employer. The amount you have been paid in the current tax year is printed on it.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:41 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I like that article, but i'm confused by your last sentance - how did it lose them it at a later date ??

ANyway, the general consensus seems to be that salary info is not readily available to employers, is that right ??
Sometimes they may have not disclosed a minor criminal conviction or put a qualification that they took but failed etc. If the employer could say that they had lied on the application they would/could be sacked later. Same could apply with anything that is written and later found to be incorrect.
It is a tricky one and I am in the same position I have just given my potential employer a 'range' and am still waiting to see what they may offer if I get the job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.