British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Employment Authorization DENIED, please please help us!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/employment-authorization-denied-please-please-help-us-484509/)

djchrisplant Sep 30th 2007 10:30 pm

Employment Authorization DENIED, please please help us!!!

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if I sound depressed, but our EAD has been denied this week.

I'll try and keep this as short as I can, as I know you all have your own problems too.

I came to America and met my wife (Vegas born) in May 2005. We fell madly in love and decided to move me (an Englishman) to USA. We have done everything correctly and followed the USCIS intructions, I am now in America (Vegas) on a K1 visa. I entered at McCarran airport (Vegas) on March 15th 2007. We married on May 2nd 2007, within the 90 day period. We have worked very hard on our visa case and have done everything required by the USCIS. After we married in March, my wife was laid off from her work. She found another job within 3 months. After having a few meetings with the USCIS office and talking with them on the phone, asking for their advise, we sent off our I-765 and I-485 in early July. At the meetings with the USCIS, we were told to submit the forms only after my wife had found a new job, which was in early July......so we followed their advice (of course we would). So we sent off I-765 and I-485 and all the paperwork, money orders etc etc, and this week (27th September 2007) we've received the letter saying my EAD has been denied, without appeal. Although everything else is ok... I have my biometrics soon and interview.

Here's where we need help, as we are struggling for money as it is, with only my wife working...as you all know, it's very very hard.

What can we do now? Should we re-apply for the EAD? I just wish they had told us correct information. We followed their guidance.

I have the stamp in my passport that reads employment authorized and were told that I could work, so I applied for a job and was offered it, I called the USCIS and they told me that I couldn't work. 2 USCIS offices told us different things???????

At the meetings with the USCIS, we were told to wait to apply for the EAD after my wife work, which was "just" after the 90 days of entry. We should have followed our instincts and applied before the 90 day period, but we asked for the USCIS help and got 2 officers that told us incorrect info. Nice huh!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP US. We are legal, have done everything to the best of our abilitys......and have been denied. It really bugs us that people living near by are all illegal. Shame for us legal ones eh?

Would be ever so greatful for some true genuine help/advice.

Thank you and best wishes to all legals and genuine couples.

Chris

cindyabs Sep 30th 2007 11:16 pm

Re: Employment Authorization DENIED, please please help us!!!

Originally Posted by djchrisplant (Post 5372183)
Hi everyone,

I'll try and keep this as short as I can, as I know you all have your own problems too.

I came to America and met my wife (Vegas born) in May 2005. We fell madly in love and decided to move me (an Englishman) to USA. We have done everything correctly and followed the USCIS intructions, I am now in America (Vegas) on a K1 visa. I entered at McCarran airport (Vegas) on March 15th 2007. We married on May 2nd 2007, within the 90 day period. We have worked very hard on our visa case and have done everything required by the USCIS. After we married in March, my wife was laid off from her work. She found another job within 3 months. After having a few meetings with the USCIS office and talking with them on the phone, asking for their advise, we sent off our I-765 and I-485 in early July. At the meetings with the USCIS, we were told to submit the forms only after my wife had found a new job, which was in early July......so we followed their advice (of course we would). So we sent off I-765 and I-485 and all the paperwork, money orders etc etc, and this week (27th September 2007) we've received the letter saying my EAD has been denied, without appeal. Although everything else is ok... I have my biometrics soon and interview.

Here's where we need help, as we are struggling for money as it is, with only my wife working...as you all know, it's very very hard.

What can we do now? Should we re-apply for the EAD? I just wish they had told us correct information. We followed their guidance.

I have the stamp in my passport that reads employment authorized and were told that I could work, so I applied for a job and was offered it, I called the USCIS and they told me that I couldn't work. 2 USCIS offices told us different things???????

At the meetings with the USCIS, we were told to wait to apply for the EAD after my wife work, which was "just" after the 90 days of entry. We should have followed our instincts and applied before the 90 day period, but we asked for the USCIS help and got 2 officers that told us incorrect info. Nice huh!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP US. We are legal, have done everything to the best of our abilitys......and have been denied. It really bugs us that people living near by are all illegal. Shame for us legal ones eh?

Chris

Chris, Bless your heart-try posting this in the Marriage and Immigration Forum. Rete, Meauxna or one of the lawyers there may help you out.

Best of luck.
I know, it's a kick in the teeth when you do what you think is right.
Believe it or not we were told by our local Customs and Immigration folks that my DH could just come on over and adjust status here. We found out a month before he was going to come that that was not the way to do it. Months were wasted due to this. :mad:
Also the temp EAD he got was good for twice as long as the regular EAD he got. Go figure!

Good luck.

Redlippie Sep 30th 2007 11:31 pm

I can't help you with info but wishing you the best of luck in getting your paperwork sorted out.

simongb Sep 30th 2007 11:47 pm

I am sorry to hear about your problems with immigration. I would consult an attorney and get some advice. Best of luck to you and your family.

djchrisplant Sep 30th 2007 11:58 pm

Thank you everyone! Hopefully we can get it sorted out. All help appreciated.

THANKS X

Chris and Tara

Rushman Oct 1st 2007 12:45 am

Originally Posted by djchrisplant (Post 5372183)
Hi everyone,

Chris

Chris. They buggered up my EAD aswell. However, what you should've done was apply for the EAD the day after you got married, it takes them an age to get it to you.
That said, I would go online and get an "infopass" appointment at your nearest USCIS office ASAP and take every single document you have with you. When you are there they CAN issue you a temporary EAD on the spot. I know this because I had similar hassles and they issued me a temprary EAD on the spot. By the time the temporary EAD had expired I had already recieved my green card and didn't need another.
There is no reason why you should be denied, infact if you and your old lady have kids than play the old "We have kids to feed and clothe" card for abit of added sympathy. However, don't get stroppy whatever you do.
If you get online right now you might be able to get an appointment as early as tomorrow.

Elvira Oct 1st 2007 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 5372443)
Chris. They buggered up my EAD aswell. However, what you should've done was apply for the EAD the day after you got married, it takes them an age to get it to you.
That said, I would go online and get an "infopass" appointment at your nearest USCIS office ASAP and take every single document you have with you. When you are there they CAN issue you a temporary EAD on the spot. I know this because I had similar hassles and they issued me a temprary EAD on the spot. By the time the temporary EAD had expired I had already recieved my green card and didn't need another.
There is no reason why you should be denied, infact if you and your old lady have kids than play the old "We have kids to feed and clothe" card for abit of added sympathy. However, don't get stroppy whatever you do.
If you get online right now you might be able to get an appointment as early as tomorrow.

I think District Office are no longer authorised to issue EADs - it's all via the Chicago lockbox now. However, if I were the OP I would still make an Infopass appointment and ask the officer to have a look at the paperwork that was submitted. I suspect he probably made a simple error somewhere. If the officer doesn't seem to terribly knowledgeable, he has the right to request to talk to a supervisor.

meauxna Oct 1st 2007 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 5372443)
When you are there they CAN issue you a temporary EAD on the spot. I know this because I had similar hassles and they issued me a temprary EAD on the spot.

Not anymore, Rushman. They just will *not* give an EAD at the district office anymore.
All EAD processing is done from the Missouri Service Center. The only bright spot is that they *must* issue in 90 days by law. Sorta. :)
Anyway, other answer in the other thread.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 1st 2007 3:15 am

Did you apply for EAD on the basis of your K1 status or Adjustment of Status?

Why did you not get a co-sponsor rather than wait until your wife got a job?

meauxna Oct 1st 2007 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 5372599)
Did you apply for EAD on the basis of your K1 status or Adjustment of Status?

Why did you not get a co-sponsor rather than wait until your wife got a job?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484517

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 1st 2007 4:35 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 5372606)

So probably

And who knows but not that relevant any longer.