Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employing a nanny legally

Employing a nanny legally

Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employing a nanny legally

Originally Posted by MsElui
I am currently employing a nanny in my home to look after my three kids now i have gone back to work. (i am on a green card but anyone could do this method)

I placed an ad on care.com and stated what i wanted from their drop down choices, and also gave some info about our situations (it does it for your local area and it tels you how far away each applicant is). then people who were interested applied (i got over 15 applicants). I could look at the replies for free but if i wanted the contact info for anyone i had to subscribe. i think it was less than $30 for a couple of months. I then contacted the ones i was interested in and asked more questions, and then interviewed my shortlist. The site alos does some form of background check and also records referees interviews.

we worked out a contract between ourselves (several suggested models online) and i employ her on an hourly basis. I pay $10 an hour for the first 40 and then you have to pay time and half for any hours over 40 - so the last 7.5 hours are at $15 an hour. she does 7.30 am to 5pm for me but this can change as needed.

I dont withold any taxes for her - she does her own taxes but i DO have to withold medicare (4.2 % of paid wage) and social security.(6.2 % of paid wage). i had to apply for an employer number from the state but this only took a few days. my normal accountant for our taxes told us how.

I will have to declare the ss and medicare on the end of year tax return for myself and then pay it at that time ( so i just wing it into a seperate account each week).

We agreed to not pay her vacation (thats is she is away on hols or if i am away on hols) and i dont pay her public hols. She does however bring her two kids with her (similar ages to mine). If my kids are sick its up to her is she brings the kids, if her kids are sick then she has alternative arrangements to leave them elsewhere) She runs my kids to their appointments/pre school etc (she pays that gas too). She also cleans their rooms and does all their laundry (not mine). and puts the hoover round the great room etc.

For me the advantage is that she is there every day - so no matter if there is a 2 hour delay or snow day or no school day or summer holiday - she takes care of it. She also comes to my home so i can leave for work at a set time regardless of what state the kids are in (ie still asleep, not yet fed or dressed, etc - she just takes care of it all). She takes the kids to museams, parks, cinema, play areas, etc and they have automatic playmates.
Medicare is 1.65% and social security is 4.2% for this year. Next year social security will be back to 6.2% unless the reduced rate is extended. I believe that the employer must also contribute 1.65% and 6.2% at the end of the year.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently employing a nanny in my home to look after my three kids now i have gone back to work. (i am on a green card but anyone could do this method)

I placed an ad on care.com and stated what i wanted from their drop down choices, and also gave some info about our situations (it does it for your local area and it tels you how far away each applicant is). then people who were interested applied (i got over 15 applicants). I could look at the replies for free but if i wanted the contact info for anyone i had to subscribe. i think it was less than $30 for a couple of months. I then contacted the ones i was interested in and asked more questions, and then interviewed my shortlist. The site alos does some form of background check and also records referees interviews.

we worked out a contract between ourselves (several suggested models online) and i employ her on an hourly basis. I pay $10 an hour for the first 40 and then you have to pay time and half for any hours over 40 - so the last 7.5 hours are at $15 an hour. she does 7.30 am to 5pm for me but this can change as needed.

I dont withold any taxes for her - she does her own taxes but i DO have to withold medicare (4.2 % of paid wage) and social security.(6.2 % of paid wage). i had to apply for an employer number from the state but this only took a few days. my normal accountant for our taxes told us how.

I will have to declare the ss and medicare on the end of year tax return for myself and then pay it at that time ( so i just wing it into a seperate account each week).

We agreed to not pay her vacation (thats is she is away on hols or if i am away on hols) and i dont pay her public hols. She does however bring her two kids with her (similar ages to mine). If my kids are sick its up to her is she brings the kids, if her kids are sick then she has alternative arrangements to leave them elsewhere) She runs my kids to their appointments/pre school etc (she pays that gas too). She also cleans their rooms and does all their laundry (not mine). and puts the hoover round the great room etc.

For me the advantage is that she is there every day - so no matter if there is a 2 hour delay or snow day or no school day or summer holiday - she takes care of it. She also comes to my home so i can leave for work at a set time regardless of what state the kids are in (ie still asleep, not yet fed or dressed, etc - she just takes care of it all). She takes the kids to museams, parks, cinema, play areas, etc and they have automatic playmates.
Bloody hell! All that for $10 an hour and no vacation pay???? Really?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yeah that does sound low doesn't it? For 3 kids, amazing.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emiwar
12 weeks off - yes...12 weeks paid - if only!!!
I got 6 weeks unpaid
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

emiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really nice

Thats the bit I am most trying to research, can anyone employ a nanny regardless of your visa status? If thats the case then great
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:28 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the nanny does get to bring her own kids too, which saves on her own childcare expenses.

But hell! I'd hire a nanny too, for that price!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I know...you couldn't even get a highschool kid to baby sit for that down my way...that's so depressing...$15hr with 4 hr minimum is the general min...they are a bunch of cheeky sods
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I know...you couldn't even get a highschool kid to baby sit for that down my way...that's so depressing...$15hr with 4 hr minimum is the general min...they are a bunch of cheeky sods
I used to get $0.50/hr for babysitting. To be fair though, in those days, Big Macs only cost $0.85 !!

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I used to get $0.50/hr for babysitting. To be fair though, in those days, Big Macs only cost $0.85 !!

Ian
Back when I was a kid, my mother wouldn't have paid more than a couple quid and perhaps turned a blind eye on a can of beer going missing from the fridge at the end of the night
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:19 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Back when I was a kid, my mother wouldn't have paid more than a couple quid and perhaps turned a blind eye on a can of beer going missing from the fridge at the end of the night
I got three quid an hour when I was fourteen.

And all the Coke I could drink.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeah that does sound low doesn't it? For 3 kids, amazing.
Costs approx $1,000 a week for my 2 small dogs to share the same kennel when we go on holiday...so yeah bloody hell what a bargain.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Costs approx $1,000 a week for my 2 small dogs to share the same kennel when we go on holiday...so yeah bloody hell what a bargain.
$1,000 you have to be kidding me....whats its got gold doggie bowls and their own waiters
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
$1,000 you have to be kidding me....whats its got gold doggie bowls and their own waiters
Nope it's approx $70 per day, per dog...meds, treats, walks, play etc are all charged extra.

Edit: For one dog that's $20 per pound, per day.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 7th 2011 at 11:37 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nope it's approx $70 per day, per dog...meds, treats, walks, play etc are all charged extra.

Edit: For one dog that's $20 per pound, per day.
I am in the wrong profession...I need to buy some land and build a pampered poochies getaway lodge ..spa, expensive treats,silk sheets, piped music, TV you get the picture
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:33 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emiwar
Thats the bit I am most trying to research, can anyone employ a nanny regardless of your visa status? If thats the case then great
i think the aupair scheme is only for perm residents because you are bringing a person over from another country in a set length contract. If your visa status ends for whatever reason you could be potentially dumping that aupair at short notice.

you can however employ someone if you want - as they would be here anyway and its generally at will employment. (you do need to check their employememt status legally)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.