Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employer's unmatched 401k scheme

Employer's unmatched 401k scheme

Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer's unmatched 401k scheme

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I will definitely be visiting an independant advisor so for that alone, the book has been worth the price and time taken to read it.
If you are going to use a financial advisor, the only one that should be used is an independent financial advisor (pay per hour). However you'll find that it is more of a hand holding session than any advice that you can't find with google.

About a month ago, I talked to my SIL on the phone and she said she saw a financial advisor and I tried to tell her to be very careful about the type of planner because the only one that will likely get rich is the financial advisor if the wrong one is chosen. She's 70 years old and she said "I don't know anything about investing so I need someone to do it for me" and she told me some of the things that the financial advisor did and I cringed. She said he doesn't charge for the service and I knew exactly what she had gotten herself into. They don't charge since all they do is sell clients are front load funds, annuities, and other products that pay them a high commission.

I tried to explain but she just got more confused so I decided to leave it alone since it's already too late to do much. However I'm worried that the financial advisor will have her move from one front loaded fund to another front loaded fund.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
If you are going to use a financial advisor, the only one that should be used is an independent financial advisor (pay per hour). However you'll find that it is more of a hand holding session than any advice that you can't find with google.
Totally agree Michael.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
In many cases a low cost index fund will readily beat an active account.

Vanguard has an excellent site with tools to compare funds.
Also Morningstar.
Agree and this is what tony robbins says in his book, he specifically mentions vanguard and morningstar too to be fair to him.

Our 401k is matched up to 5% of salary by the employer so it's worth us sticking with them and switching to another product. But for the OP I would check out the plan that his employer is offering and considering that he may well do better investing it himself somewhere.

Hubby and I were discussing (in a down the pub, not very knowledgeable way it has to said) whether to switch to roth 401k ie pay the tax now rather than in the future. My point is that we currently have dependants at home but when we retire we won't. I also think that tax is only going to go up. His point is that we probably won't have quite so much money when we retire so our tax bracket may be lower... (Oh dear god, I hope that one isn't true!)

thoughts?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You could do an individual 401k which has both Roth and non-Roth components if you wanted.

I max my own Individual 401k and then put after tax money into a Roth IRA.
Anything left is in a taxable investment account.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Agree and this is what tony robbins says in his book, he specifically mentions vanguard and morningstar too to be fair to him.

Our 401k is matched up to 5% of salary by the employer so it's worth us sticking with them and switching to another product. But for the OP I would check out the plan that his employer is offering and considering that he may well do better investing it himself somewhere.

Hubby and I were discussing (in a down the pub, not very knowledgeable way it has to said) whether to switch to roth 401k ie pay the tax now rather than in the future. My point is that we currently have dependants at home but when we retire we won't. I also think that tax is only going to go up. His point is that we probably won't have quite so much money when we retire so our tax bracket may be lower... (Oh dear god, I hope that one isn't true!)

thoughts?
I didn't realize that companies can offer a Roth 401K since 2006 since you were the first to bring up a Roth 401K. The biggest issue with a Roth is that you'll be paying taxes at your highest marginal tax rate (both federal and state) before you put the money into the Roth account.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You could do an individual 401k which has both Roth and non-Roth components if you wanted.
When you were working for a company, there were before tax and after tax contributions to a 401K but that is different than a Roth 401K since the only thing that was tax free at retirement for after tax contributions was the contributions.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring to this. But I don't know the employment situation with petitefrancaise

'Roth Type Contributions: With IRAs, those who earn high incomes are disallowed from contributing to a Roth IRA or, in most years, converting their IRA to a Roth IRA. The solo 401(k) plan contains a built in Roth sub-account which can be contributed to without any income restrictions.'
Old Dec 5th 2014, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input everyone, it looks like I've got some research to do.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 2:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Roth IRAs are 'after tax' contributions (taxes paid on your income) but have the advantage that at retirement, distributions are tax free and you can withdraw contributions at any time tax free. A traditional IRA or a 401K are 'before tax' contributions
There are actually three types of 401k contribution: before tax (which is the norm), after-tax and Roth. Many plans offer an after-tax option, which is often overlooked as a choice. As far as I understand, Roth 401k has only been an option since 2006 and relatively few plans offer this option.

The difference between after-tax 401k contributions and Roth 401k contributions, is that in the Roth case the earnings may be tax free. With traditional after-tax 401k contributions, earnings are taxable as ordinary income - but only when a distribution is taken, which may be many years into the future. In the meantime, the earnings have grown tax free.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
There are actually three types of 401k contribution: before tax (which is the norm), after-tax and Roth. Many plans offer an after-tax option, which is often overlooked as a choice. As far as I understand, Roth 401k has only been an option since 2006 and relatively few plans offer this option.
My employer offers a Roth 401(K). Apparently the uptake is very low, perhaps because I work in high tech and wages - and thus marginal tax rates - are high.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:37 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Tony Robbins' new book mastering the money game is an excellent resource.

I'm reading through it and looking at our financial plans, starting to shake my head at what we've been offered through the company 401k.

Best advice I can give based on my reading of the book so far (bear in mind that I know a lot about teeth but next to nothing about investments in the USA) is to find a registered fiduciary = An independent financial advisor who receives no commission but to whom you pay a fee.

Our company 401k is invested in a target date plan which according to Mr Robbins' book is about the worst thing going, so we will definitely be off somewhere for advice. Thank God it's only been just over a year.
That book got slammed in a recent Guardian article. He may have charisma and a successful business hut he is no financial expert. In 2010 he was recommending people pull all of their investments out of the stock market.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
That book got slammed in a recent Guardian article. He may have charisma and a successful business hut he is no financial expert. In 2010 he was recommending people pull all of their investments out of the stock market.
I completely agree with you. He is a motivational speaker and nothing more. He may have a basic knowledge about investing but I believe that I understand significantly more.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:56 am
Austin. TX.

I completely agree with you. He is a motivational speaker and nothing more. He may have a basic knowledge about investing but I believe that I understand significantly more.
Lucky you!
I've lived in 4 different countries, we've got pensions all over the place. We're both well educated and yet, we haven't sorted out the US end of things - too busy with getting on with life, I suppose.

Tony Robbins meant this book to be a bit of a wake-up call to people like us and the main thing I've got out of it is that a helping hand would be a very good idea indeed.

Anybody care to recommend someone who can advise us on the tax implications of all these pensions? We don't even know if we will stay in the US for retirement yet. I fancy Spain but adding another country to the mix may be more than we can handle at 65!
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I was referring to this. But I don't know the employment situation with petitefrancaise

'Roth Type Contributions: With IRAs, those who earn high incomes are disallowed from contributing to a Roth IRA or, in most years, converting their IRA to a Roth IRA. '
I'm confused about this bit - any insight on what the restrictions are on converting IRA to ROTH? Other than having to pay the tax (at marginal rates), I didn't think that there were any restrictions.

I have contributed to "back door ROTH" because we are not eligible for the regular ROTH.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackattack
I'm confused about this bit - any insight on what the restrictions are on converting IRA to ROTH? Other than having to pay the tax (at marginal rates), I didn't think that there were any restrictions.

I have contributed to "back door ROTH" because we are not eligible for the regular ROTH.
There aren't any income restrictions anymore on converting traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs. That is why a "back door Roth IRA" works now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.