Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Employee discount pricing?

Employee discount pricing?

Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employee discount pricing?

Just got back from the Nissan dealership after a 3 hours of dealing. Traded our little Focus in for a Nissan Xterra and although we're sad to see our little Focus go, we're super happy with the Xterra.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:20 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Just got back from the Nissan dealership after a 3 hours of dealing. Traded our little Focus in for a Nissan Xterra and although we're sad to see our little Focus go, we're super happy with the Xterra.
Good job. I declined to tell you earlier what I thought of Explorers - figured you'd work it out. Not only do Nissan not have to push the boat out, Toyota actually pulled it back in and raised prices. (To head off trade tariffs on all those US-built cars, of course. )

I was looking at some CNN article earlier - might be the one quoted above. Was very surprised at how stingy some of the 'employee discounts' were. The $8,000 off the Explorer was probably reasonable (as a starting point). But many were only $2,000 lower than MSRP. Can do better than that with normal haggling. So, I'd expect to haggle it another $2k or so below the invoice price....
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Good job. I declined to tell you earlier what I thought of Explorers - figured you'd work it out. Not only do Nissan not have to push the boat out, Toyota actually pulled it back in and raised prices. (To head off trade tariffs on all those US-built cars, of course. )

I was looking at some CNN article earlier - might be the one quoted above. Was very surprised at how stingy some of the 'employee discounts' were. The $8,000 off the Explorer was probably reasonable (as a starting point). But many were only $2,000 lower than MSRP. Can do better than that with normal haggling. So, I'd expect to haggle it another $2k or so below the invoice price....
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...&restore=false

30,000 - 8,000 no effort, no haggling.

and you should be able to do better with a bit of effort.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:03 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...&restore=false

30,000 - 8,000 no effort, no haggling.

and you should be able to do better with a bit of effort.
Exactly. The point is that the dealer isn't paying the employee discount, so you still have his cake to cut into as well...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:34 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Yes.......just did this last week at Ford. I had a Ford Windstar that I loved but it has just passed on. I absolutely *hate* the local Ford dealer (they are total scum) but as usual, didn't have time to shop around at other area dealers.

I think we got about $4000 off for the employee discount deal on a new Ford Freestyle which is a van-station wagon thing.

At the last minute, they told us that they had to charge us salestax on the amount of the discount. I looked him straight in the eye and said, "that's total bullshit---take if off and if it shows up somewhere else in the deal I don't sign AND I'm calling Ford to report you for unscrupulous practices."

Whatever.

Anyway, they don't like me there, but I did get a really nice car out of it and they gave me quite a bit for the trade-in, considering it was needing some serious repairs.

~SecretGarden
(at one point the manager came out to talk to us about budgeting , saying, "if you just budget 20 more dollars a week in a little jar at home we could get you this car....." to which I said, "Don't talk to me about budgeting....it will not be a good thing for you." )

And you look like such a nice sweet little thing, .
Hooah! You go girlfriend!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:28 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
And you look like such a nice sweet little thing, .
Hooah! You go girlfriend!
heh.....They *really* hate me there.

Picked the car up the other day and I walked around it with a pad of paper and a pen noting any tiny imperfection. (Not many, but there were some). There was a tiny crease in the driver's side door where someone on the lot had banged another door into it, but you couldn't see it unless you stood in the sunlight just the right way.

It went to the bodyshop yesterday to have that dent removed and the other little things fixed (two very tiny chips in the paint on the hood). One of the body shop guys said, "wow, that's hardly even worth fixing" to which I replied, "I just purchased a brand new car, it's going to be brand new---I'll put the chips in myself, thanks." Needless to say, I got a withering look.

But, I'm happy now!
~SecretGarden
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Well, we loved the explorer, but the guys at the Ford dealership would not budge on the price we wanted, so we walked. We had a small list of SUV's that we were looking at and the guys at Nissan(which was just next door) were more than helpful. The sadder part of the Ford deal, was that we went back to them because we purchased the Focus from there, but they couldn't offer us any kind of customer loyalty deal. They were locked into the "employee" discount price.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

This thing has a plate holder on the front too, so I can now get one of those Union flag plates.
Attached Thumbnails Employee discount pricing?-xterra2.jpg  
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:04 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
This thing has a plate holder on the front too, so I can now get one of those Union flag plates.
I'm Jealous now!....barsteward.

I too went to a Nissan dealership the other day wanting to get one of those, just quite couldn't go the monthly payment just yet, still owe too much on my explorer.

Nice looking veee-hic-call that pimpo.

By the way when are we doing the fantasy football thing? I think after 2 years I might just know what to do this year...keep us posted.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Yosser. There was a thread about football a few days ago. I will be starting one probably when I get back from Vegas sunday or mondayish.