British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Emigration insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/emigration-insurance-931666/)

Ann257 Mar 12th 2020 8:52 am

Emigration insurance

Hello, we have our interview coming up on the 23rd March at the us embassy in London, husband is usc and our two children and myself are applying for immigrant visa.
husbands job doesn’t officially start until June 2020 but we are hoping to get to the USA as soon as possible after interview (hopefully a successful one!) to avoid any travel bans due to Covid -19.
I am struggling to find a health insurance company that can cover us in that interim period of being in the USA and husbands work. Regular travel insurance will be void I presume due to the fact we are emigrating. Any one managed to get cover in these circumstances?

Noorah101 Mar 12th 2020 10:50 am

Re: Emigration insurance

Is this now a requirement to prove you will have health insurance once inside the USA? Or just a personal choice? If it's a personal choice, I'll move the thread to the appropriate forum.

That said, can't your husband get on a health care program and include the family?

Rene

Ann257 Mar 12th 2020 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12819368)
Is this now a requirement to prove you will have health insurance once inside the USA? Or just a personal choice? If it's a personal choice, I'll move the thread to the appropriate forum.

That said, can't your husband get on a health care program and include the family?

Rene

yes personal choice, and he will have healthcare but as not starting work till June that will leave a few months without cover

scrubbedexpat096 Mar 12th 2020 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Ann257 (Post 12819374)
yes personal choice, and he will have healthcare but as not starting work till June that will leave a few months without cover

I thought you had to demonstrate how you will attain healthcare now?

Ann257 Mar 12th 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Phathamster (Post 12819383)
I thought you had to demonstrate how you will attain healthcare now?

really? I didn’t know this.
We have annual travel insurance but as this is not a holiday I pannicked this am and tried to search for something but can’t seem to find any companies that offer this type of cover

Noorah101 Mar 12th 2020 3:48 pm

Your USC husband should be able to get one of the government health care programs and add the family to it.

I'm moving this thread to USA firm where there is more discussion on insurance.

Rene

civilservant Mar 12th 2020 3:52 pm

The exchanges are available. Immigration is a qualifying event I believe. Won't be cheap or that good, but it will satisfy the requirement that the above correctly stated was required.

Ann257 Mar 12th 2020 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12819495)
Your USC husband should be able to get one of the government health care programs and add the family to it.

I'm moving this thread to USA firm where there is more discussion on insurance.

Rene

thank you very much :)

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 12th 2020 5:28 pm

In your first post you sort of made it sound like a Company move. The way I read your situation is that this is family based.

Check that your Husband will get cover from day 1, many jobs have a waiting period before benefits kick in.

Yes Travel Insurance will not work.

There is new immigrant insurance that is pretty poor but may be better than nothing.

The obvious choice will be to buy though the Exchange, most States have their own, a quick google will find the site, which State are you moving to?

Be aware there will be a gap, not something you can get from Day 1. well through the Exchange. If you time it well I believe you can minimize it to 15 days.

Ann257 Mar 15th 2020 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12819567)
In your first post you sort of made it sound like a Company move. The way I read your situation is that this is family based.

Check that your Husband will get cover from day 1, many jobs have a waiting period before benefits kick in.

Yes Travel Insurance will not work.

There is new immigrant insurance that is pretty poor but may be better than nothing.

The obvious choice will be to buy though the Exchange, most States have their own, a quick google will find the site, which State are you moving to?

Be aware there will be a gap, not something you can get from Day 1. well through the Exchange. If you time it well I believe you can minimize it to 15 days.

I’ve bought a policy through big cat travel insurance, they cover for emigration.
We have the cover until June 1st so hopefully that should be plenty of time for a transition period
many thanks

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 15th 2020 10:13 am

Big Cat is a branding name for Allianz, a reputable company.