Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to USA with personal firearms

Emigrating to USA with personal firearms

Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to USA with personal firearms

Originally Posted by Georgia Boy
Thanks for the advice. Is the GWCL the same as a Concealed Carry Permit or are they different things. I would want to carry my shotguns / rifles in a covered and secure way (we have to by law here in the U.K. that's what I am used to) so I would want to apply for a GWCL.

Yep familiarising my self with the GA gun laws is one of the things on my long and getting longer things to check out.
The GWCL is what other states would refer to as a 'CCP' - it basically gives you the right to carry anywhere except certain proscribed places (Schools/Church/Federal Buildings/Nuclear Power Plants)
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Georgia Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
It can be done, I know somebody who did it to Colorado.

Not familiar with Georgia, do you know a FFL?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/import-...fense-articles The official source to get them into the country, might take a few months.
Thanks for the ATF link. I don't know any FFL in Georgia but I bet Google can find me one.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Which part of GA will you be moving too?
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
The GWCL is what other states would refer to as a 'CCP' - it basically gives you the right to carry anywhere except certain proscribed places (Schools/Church/Federal Buildings/Nuclear Power Plants)
Thanks, that's useful.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here you need Hunters Ed as well as CCP, and even where I am very few people open carry outside of hunting, which is coming up fast. What happened to the summer?

Hunters Ed was a one day course and the Forestry guy who did it knew me for some reason and was quite educative, mixture of ages and genders. CCP I was lucky somebody I knew did a really good one, you can get them done at gun shows but that is basically enough to sign you off.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:32 pm
Often not so civil...

CCP I was lucky somebody I knew did a really good one, you can get them done at gun shows but that is basically enough to sign you off.
In GA there is no requirement for you to even know one end of a firearm from the other, let alone be proficient in it's use, to be issued with a Weapons Carry License,
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

In GA there is no requirement for you to even know one end of a firearm from the other, let alone be proficient in it's use, to be issued with a Weapons Carry License,
Did not occur to me that Georgia would require such a license. Interesting, is that theoretical or something people have? Not a CCP I take it.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:47 pm
Often not so civil...

Not a CCP I take it.
It sure is. It is the GA equivalent of a CCP. Allows concealed and open carry.

There are zero requirements to have had any training, nor to demonstrate proficiency, to acquire it though.

I hold one myself. All it took was fill out a form at the courthouse, then go get fingerprints at the Sheriffs Office. It arrived in the mail 6 weeks later.

GA is kind of strange in this though. There is no central database of GWCL holders. Such a database is illegal under GA law. Records are held at the individual county level. There is also no registration for gun owners at time of purchase, nor requirement to do so after the fact.

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 8th 2020 at 12:53 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Presumably you have to go through the background check when you purchase?

In Colorado you do not need anything else unless you are going to hunt or concealed carry.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 12:56 pm
Often not so civil...

Presumably you have to go through the background check when you purchase?

In Colorado you do not need anything else unless you are going to hunt or concealed carry.
Yes, the Federal NIC check still applies.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Which part of GA will you be moving too?
Almost certainly around Lawrenceville or within half an hours Drive of there.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Here you need Hunters Ed as well as CCP, and even where I am very few people open carry outside of hunting, which is coming up fast. What happened to the summer?

Hunters Ed was a one day course and the Forestry guy who did it knew me for some reason and was quite educative, mixture of ages and genders. CCP I was lucky somebody I knew did a really good one, you can get them done at gun shows but that is basically enough to sign you off.
I have done the equivalent course here in the UK but will do the Hunters Ed course in the US as I know hunting laws, seasons and styles are different between the two countries. I'm getting a lot from the Georgia Wildlife and Natural Resouces websites and I subscribe to the GON forum. There's a lot to take on board.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 4:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgia Boy
Thanks for the ATF link. I don't know any FFL in Georgia but I bet Google can find me one.
They're two-a-penny, but you should contact any that you're interested in as not all FFL holders are willing to handle all business - for example a gunsmith may have an FFL but have no interest in receiving firearms. I suspect that there will be additional complexity for imported firearms, so you might need to find an FFL holder with experience, and/or to do the addtional work.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They're two-a-penny, but you should contact any that you're interested in as not all FFL holders are willing to handle all business - for example a gunsmith may have an FFL but have no interest in receiving firearms. I suspect that there will be additional complexity for imported firearms, so you might need to find an FFL holder with experience, and/or to do the addtional work.
I'd agree with this. The international aspect probably means working with a large FFL. I would assume there to be a few within Atlanta capable of it. I can think of only one within Charlotte that would probably be bothered enough to deal with this.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

In Texas a course and demonstration of proficiency is required for a License to Carry, which includes both open and concealed carry. We are non-immigrant aliens and so are required to hold a Texas Hunting License in addition to completing the course before we can be issued a LTC permit. Interestingly U.S. citizen Texans can avoid the course by applying for a LTC from Virginia (I think) as they issue them to non-residents and Texas has reprocity with Virginia. My wife and I are doing our courses next week. 5 hours long with a written and proficiency test - should be fun, can't wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.