Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to USA with personal firearms

Emigrating to USA with personal firearms

Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to USA with personal firearms

It’s the same here in GA.

The first tine I bought a weapon it took the full 3 days, the second time (and since then) has been immediate.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
.... Went down this morning with my .... passport and drivers license. They took copies of all these and then I had to enter information into a computer which was then sent off to the Feds for a background check. I was warned that it may come back delayed because I am a non-immigrant alien [dual citizen] and sure enough it did. So the Feds now have 3 business days to get back to the range and if they don't I can legally buy the handgun. Not sure if that is the same in all States, but it's the case in Texas. ....
That's pretty much what happened to me and what I was told when I picked up my Mossberg in NC in April - two visits, first to provide documents (I don't have CCP), second to collect weapon a few days later.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this question when I entered my information on the computer, but didn't think anything of it at the time as it simply didn't apply to me 'Have you ever renounced your U.S. citizenship?'. I looked it up when I got back and interestingly anyone who renounces their U.S. citizenship is banned forever from owning a firearm in the U.S., even if they subsequently naturalize again. I guess the Govt want to make renunciation as difficult as painful as possible.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 7:59 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Conversely, if 6+1 isn't enough, you might need to spend more time at the range.

There are a number of videos of this Sheriff (Grady Judd, of Polk Co, FL - he is a no-nonse guy, and also entertaining to watch in his fairly frequent press conferences - he was the Sheriff covering that recent triple homicide in FL, at night on a back road, near a fishing pond, that hit the national headlines). In the video below he is reporting on a citizen shooting by an Uber driver of an idiot who all but ran the Uber off the road, jumped out of his truck and threatened to shoot the Uber driver. .... One shot was all that was required to get the job done! The dash-cam video starts at 9:10 and only lasts a few seconds.

[Note to moderators this video is NOT graphic - the shooting takes place off-screen.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAv9BO2VQQ
this video is how I image any interaction with LE in my town would go down if you had a fire arm, legal or not, I was hoping to avail my 2nd amendment right (as currently interpreted) but alas the constitution is not the “highest authority” in my household.... I even told her I needed it to make sure our generator was not stolen in a storm... I now have a heavy duty chain and motorcycle anchor on my foundation not a Glock 19 :-(

Last edited by tht; Sep 18th 2020 at 8:01 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
this video is how I image any interaction with LE in my town would go down if you had a fire arm, legal or not, I was hoping to avail my 2nd amendment right (as currently interpreted) but alas the constitution is not the “highest authority” in my household.... I even told her I needed it to make sure our generator was not stolen in a storm... I now have a heavy duty chain and motorcycle anchor on my foundation not a Glock 19 :-(
If that was LE instead of an Uber driver, that dude would have been taken down in a volley. LE are trained to not stop shooting until the threat is neutralized. But putting aside LE, that is the interaction I would expect if anyone had a handgun in their vehicle. I don't know what that dude was thinking, he clearly had a death wish. Any Grand Jury would no bill that shooting no problem. As the sheriff said, the Uber driver 'did the right thing'.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 9:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If that was LE instead of an Uber driver, that dude would have been taken down in a volley. LE are trained to not stop shooting until the threat is neutralized. .....
If you watch the video the Uber driver is a new graduate from the police academy, awaiting joining instructions for whichever LE agency is sponsoring him. ... Apparently one bullet was enough, but it would be interesting to know what it was.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you watch the video the Uber driver is a new graduate from the police academy, awaiting joining instructions for whichever LE agency is sponsoring him. ... Apparently one bullet was enough, but it would be interesting to know what it was.
Ohhh, I only scrubbed through the video, I missed that bit. Ha, rookie. A few years on the job and he would have unloaded one clip reaching for another. That's what I would expect from Texas LE, all before the dude reached his back bumper.
Old Sep 19th 2020, 8:07 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

If that was LE instead of an Uber driver, that dude would have been taken down in a volley. LE are trained to not stop shooting until the threat is neutralized. But putting aside LE, that is the interaction I would expect if anyone had a handgun in their vehicle. I don't know what that dude was thinking, he clearly had a death wish. Any Grand Jury would no bill that shooting no problem. As the sheriff said, the Uber driver 'did the right thing'.
I think you misunderstood my post.. I was not saying LE here would have acted like that to a threat, I am sure they would.

But I meant that’s is how I think LE would react to someone non threateningly openly carrying a firearm in our city. CT is an open carry state, maybe we are “off limits” which could explain why, but I have never seen anyone other than LE in our town openly carry and even when animal control was called to deal with a crazed raccoon, it was actually LE who shot it not animal control.

Once you get out of Fairfield county I think it’s different, maybe the boss will even let me get one now we have had a bear in our yard at our lake house... but I doubt it...
Old Sep 19th 2020, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
I have never seen anyone other than LE in our town openly carry.
LTCs are fairly common in Texas, most of our friends have them but I have only ever seen open carry by LE or at the range. I must admit I don't look for it though. A problem with open carry is that there are plenty of restricted places where you aren't allowed to carry, such as bars (i.e., anywhere where more than 51% of revenue is from alcohol), high schools or a place where there is a high school event, certain federal/state property and anywhere where there is a sign stating carrying is not permitted. If you happen to ever stumble on to a restricted place unintentionally, perhaps you were looking at your phone when you entered and missed the sign, and someone sees your weapon, bam!! - class A misdemeanour, possibly a felony and your LTC is revoked never to be reissued and there is no defence.