Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to New York and looking for pet relocation recommendations

Emigrating to New York and looking for pet relocation recommendations

Old Apr 29th 2021, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to New York and looking for pet relocation recommendations

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is often said on BE that it is the owners who have a problem with their pet in the hold/cargo area of the plane…not the pet. Most take even the longest journeys very well, even to Oz/NZ. I can only recall one, maybe two people who have had a problem with their pet. I have already said I would use the QM2, probably because it is my favorite way of crossing the Atlantic.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about it, I think that is natural for anyone who loves their pet enough to take them across the world with them. However, pets in the cargo hold is a very common thing, they're put in a special area that is heated and pressurized and I'm pretty sure most just sleep throughout. He wasn't traumatized by the journey in any way.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 2:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to New York and looking for pet relocation recommendations

Originally Posted by JB9
Hi guys,

I’ve been asked to relocate from London to NYC on an L1 visa and have begun making preparations to move late-summer. My wife and I are excited about the prospect of an adventure, but slightly terrified about the prospect of shipping our cocker spaniel across the pond.

Have any of you done similar and can you recommend the company that handled the process? We’re planning to outsource the whole thing for simplicity and benefit from some expert help, rather than tackling it ourselves.

Thanks in advance,

James
It is also worth checking with the airlines whether they will fly pets to the US during the summer months…many will not.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

We flew ours in the Hold with Virgin, very easy process and the cat seemed more than OK with life at the other end. Flew to Atlanta from Heathrow in mid September, don't forget, the weather is not really that important given they are flying at 38k feet and they were at the Cargo building before we'd got through immigration. Had to go to Customs to get a release form, then return to the Delta Cargo building to collect them.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 8:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
We flew ours in the Hold with Virgin, very easy process and the cat seemed more than OK with life at the other end. Flew to Atlanta from Heathrow in mid September, don't forget, the weather is not really that important given they are flying at 38k feet and they were at the Cargo building before we'd got through immigration. Had to go to Customs to get a release form, then return to the Delta Cargo building to collect them.
The weather is important. Many airlines will not fly pets if the temps exceed mid 80sF at the departure/destination/layover airports. This is in case the plane gets delayed on the tarmac. It does rule out many US destinations during the summer months.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 8:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The weather is important. Many airlines will not fly pets if the temps exceed mid 80sF at the departure/destination/layover airports. This is in case the plane gets delayed on the tarmac. It does rule out many US destinations during the summer months.

Agreed. I have seen high/low temperature limits posted by the airlines. This is both for waiting inside and outside the plane.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Agreed. I have seen high/low temperature limits posted by the airlines. This is both for waiting inside and outside the plane.
If the temps drop below 45f it is also a no fly day for pets.

The OP is hoping to travel to NYC late summer. Think hot and very humid. I remember driving back home after dropping my daughter at school on 9/11. It was 8.00 am and 84f on the car’s thermometer. The sky was bright blue and cloudless. I remember thinking what a glorious day it was…

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 29th 2021 at 8:55 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 9:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

If the temps drop below 45f it is also a no fly day for pets.

The OP is hoping to travel to NYC late summer. Think hot and very humid. I remember driving back home after dropping my daughter at school on 9/11. It was 8.00 am and 84f on the car’s thermometer. The sky was bright blue and cloudless. I remember thinking what a glorious day it was…
My recollection, too, JG. I'll never forget what an utterly perfect day that was, until . . .

But to stress what you said earlier, the weather does indeed play a large part in shipping pets to the US during the summer months for the north -- and year round for parts of the south.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, Atlanta was 87f when we landed (googled it). Heathrow was a bit chilly at 5am though.
Old May 3rd 2021, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Blanca is an unknown quantity at this point

I am flying with my dog (little yorkie) in cabin next week from Aberdeen to New York (via Amsterdam). It was easy to book it (KLM). Still have to go to Vet to get all necessary documents for him as required by the state of New York and New jersey (it's your final destination that counts and not the port of entry regarding documents for your dog). Hope all goes well for you and for us🐕
Old May 3rd 2021, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Blanca
I am flying with my dog (little yorkie) in cabin next week from Aberdeen to New York (via Amsterdam). It was easy to book it (KLM). Still have to go to Vet to get all necessary documents for him as required by the state of New York and New jersey (it's your final destination that counts and not the port of entry regarding documents for your dog). Hope all goes well for you and for us🐕

I didn’t think you could take a dog into the cabin when flying from the UK. It seems KLM, Lufthansa and TUI will allow pets less than 8kg into the cabin. I thought it was a UK ruling but it seems it depends on the carrier

Thank you for that. I hope your journey goes well.
Old May 11th 2021, 8:12 pm
JB9
Just Joined

JB9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your helpful responses. I’ve spoken with PetAir today - I’m very impressed with them and a lot more relaxed about the whole thing now. Will most likely work with them to relocate our pup.
Old May 11th 2021, 9:37 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB9
Thanks all for your helpful responses. I’ve spoken with PetAir today - I’m very impressed with them and a lot more relaxed about the whole thing now. Will most likely work with them to relocate our pup.
👍 your lucky you already have the visa and NIE, others are posting on here about not being able to get an appointment at the embassy until 2022 to get their L1.