Reload this Page >

Emigrating with debt

Emigrating with debt

Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Angelheart1962 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Emigrating with debt

Hi All

I am starting visa application process this week and want to know what happens if I move to the USA and still have debt (credit cards approx £17,000) in the UK. I wont be able to pay all this back before I go.
Do I have to declare it at any part of the visa process, and how do I try to continue paying it back once I live in America?

Thanks for reading x
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating with debt

What Visa are you applying for? As far as I know, as long as you have a sponsor in the US who will ensure that you do not become a public charge here. I'm not sure how they treat UK debt for different visas but I'm sure everyone who moves has some debt to some degree.

I would definitely mention it if asked though, you don't want to hide anything that might adversely affect your application.

You can continue to repay your debt in the UK by keeping the bank account open that you use to pay your CC, and wire money into it once you are earning.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sultan, going to be applying for IR-1 as my hubby is American. I dont want to skip the country and not pay what I owe, so your idea about the Brit bank account is the best way forward I think.

Cheers mate!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelheart1962
Thanks Sultan, going to be applying for IR-1 as my hubby is American. I dont want to skip the country and not pay what I owe, so your idea about the Brit bank account is the best way forward I think.

Cheers mate!
No problem. I think in your case your husband will have to provide and Affadavit of Support to show you meet the requirements regarding public charge, so in reality your debt may be of little consequence to your visa.

I kept my account open for some direct debits that my sister was taking over for internet and that, and she just continued to pay into it instead of having to change it all over to her name. Before I left I went in and had my mum added as an agent/signatory or whatever to the account. You might want to do that with a relative back home so they can keep an eye on things for you as well.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Debt shouldn't make a difference for visa sponsorship.

Just continue to keep paying them off as usual with direct debit, or if you can pay off a good chunk, get in touch with them and say your moving abroad and would be they willing to settle for x percentage paid now.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Angelheart....I was in the same situation as you when I moved over to the states with my US spouse. I kept my UK bank account open and just moved some money from my US bank account every month to pay the credit card bills. I used zoom.com to do it. They were quick and easy to transfer money with and they transfered money straight into my UK account.

As for the actual visa process it didn't seem to matter at all that I had debt.
Good luck!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelheart1962
Hi All

I am starting visa application process this week and want to know what happens if I move to the USA and still have debt (credit cards approx £17,000) in the UK. I wont be able to pay all this back before I go.
Do I have to declare it at any part of the visa process, and how do I try to continue paying it back once I live in America?

Thanks for reading x
DEBT - don't we all have it? That scared me too about coming over here but they don't look at that at all, just the Affidavit.

I recommend XE.com or PayPal to transfer US $ to GBP directly to your British Bank account. XE.com gives a slightly better rate usually but PayPal is very straight forward. Both usually take 3-5 business days to deposit into your account.

Do you have a student loan from University? Mine is income assessed and as I am not earning enough I don't have to pay until I meet the earnings. Also I found that contacting my credit card companies informing a change to my USA address was better so that all mail / statements were directed here.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all, glad to know I am not the only one!

I am definitely going to keep a UK bank account open (will prob always come in handy anyway) and use Paypal to transfer money across to it to pay my debts. Thank goodness for the internet!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

paypal if it's large amounts won't be the way to go, they skim and give shit rates, XE.com would be better on a contracted rate if it's a regular thing....paypal is great for the one offs though.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Ok Bob I will look at XE, thanks for the advice x