Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Colorado in 5 weeks

Emigrating to Colorado in 5 weeks

Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Colorado in 5 weeks

Originally Posted by Boiler
The only thing I can think of that gets measured in litres is wine.
I drink my water by the litre, I mean liter. As well as my wine.
(well not by the box, that's for sure!)
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by heidif
We have been finally granted our family based visa to emigrate to Colorado, USA, and we are leaving on 13th July.
CO is hugh - It is twice the size of England. It ranges from high mountain ranges to flatland. It would help if you were a wee bit more specific.

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Where in Colorado are you moving?

Start practicing drinking lots of water to help with your altitude adjustment.
And by lots, I mean two or three litres a day.
I agree, Have a gallon of fluids/water. Cut the average booze intake by 1/3 initially.

Originally Posted by SDDep
Altitude or attitude? or both?
With them cowboys and cowgirls - the latter, and them high mountains, the former
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:44 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you have to be careful. When I first moved here, three 12oz beers at Breckenridge and I was three sheets to the wind.

Now I'm up to about 12 before I get a buzz.

Also, consider this. Denver is 5,280. A mile high. Colorado Springs is 6,000.
Boulder about the same, I think. The ski resorts in Summit County are typically between 8 and 10,000. We have a ton of 14,000 mountains here.

This chick - a healthy rower from the UK - died due to altitude sickness at a paltry 13,000.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-gap-year.html

This won't happen to the OP. I'm just saying, you're going to busy when you get here. Climbing up some stairs will kick your arse. So in order to mitigate the effects of altitude, start drinking a lot of water.

And, if you have kids, be sure to slather them in sun block, because the sun's effects are six times stronger than at sea level.

Oh, and educate any little ones to be careful around pipes, drains, garages etc. Black widow and brown recluse spider bites can be extremely nasty - even fatal. Also be careful to stay away from rodents such as squirrels, chipmunks etc, as they can carry Bubonic plague. Also learn to identify and steer clear of coyotes. They have increased in numbers in recent years, and they are unafraid of man. They frequently venture into metro areas and have attacked pets and small children. Same for wolves, but their numbers are not so great. If you can, get a llama - but only one, mind. They will protect your homestead from coyotes. If you get two, they will form a relationship and neglect their guard duties.

In old musty buildings and sheds, be careful not to breath any dust because of Hanta virus.

Now, mountain lions are only a danger if you live in the foothills, or West of them. Should you encounter a mountain lion and don't have access to a shotgun or pepper spray, try to make yourself as large as possible. Bring your arms over your head, preferably spreading out a jacket or cardigan, and stand erect. Make lots of noise. STAND STILL. And look the predator straight in the eye. Never run, or turn your back. Stand your ground.

Rattle snakes are not too much of a problem. Beware the little baby ones, because they can get anywhere, from shoes to the the vents in your car. Unlike adults, baby rattlers are especially dangerous because they cannot regulate the amount of venom they inject. In the event of a bite, kill the snake, even if it means biting its head off. Bring the carcass and head to the emergency room.

If you live away from major metropolitan areas, be sure to boil or treat your drinking water because of the parasite girardia, which is found in mountain streams, rivers and some ground water. While not a primary source of death, girardia causes explosive diarrhea, which can be deadly if the patient is not kept hydrated and with sufficient electrolytes. Not to mention the awkward social situations that can arise.

Mercifully, Colorado is relatively free of bugs and critters, save for the aforementioned brown recklers and Black Widows. And the scorpions. No, Manc, not the Winds of the Change. The little ones. Basic rule of thumb: the larger the scorpion, the less dangerous it is. The smaller, the more venomous.
In the event of a bit, again, kill the critter and take it to the ER.

Oh, I forgot, stay away from prairie dogs. They look cute but they undermine your house and also carry Bubonic plague.

If you're in Denver, stay away from Colfax due to the "nightlife". And avoid the King Sooper's grocery store on 9th and Corona. It's too full of "characters".

Other than that, you're pretty much set. Enjoy yourselves, and welcome to the best state in the Union.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Boulder about the same, I think. The ski resorts in Summit County are typically between 8 and 10,000. We have a ton of 14,000 mountains here.

This chick - a healthy rower from the UK - died due to altitude sickness at a paltry 13,000.

I'm 45 ft above sea level .. thats high enough to get dizzy
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heidif
Hi there,

I was searching the internet for a Forum/Website that I could post our details on, and hopefully get some advice and ideas from people that have already emigrated.

We have been finally granted our family based visa to emigrate to Colorado, USA, and we are leaving on 13th July. We've got a TON of things to organise between now and then and wondered if anyone has any ideas or a list of things that they did that they found a necessity????

We've booked our container and our flights and are getting packed to leave, but as soon as you finish one job there seems to still be 100 more to do.

Appreciate any responses

Thanks, Heidi

I too, have had a curiousness about Denver, Colorado. (Dunno why). Just look up your questions on Google. Quite interesting. BE folks can be a little jaded. Even still, other peoples opinions dont really mean shit. If you have the opportunity to go there, ask questions once you get there and not before.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you have to be careful. When I first moved here, three 12oz beers at Breckenridge and I was three sheets to the wind.

This won't happen to the OP. I'm just saying, you're going to busy when you get here. Climbing up some stairs will kick your arse. So in order to mitigate the effects of altitude, start drinking a lot of water.

And, if you have kids, be sure to slather them in sun block, because the sun's effects are six times stronger than at sea level.

Oh, and educate any little ones to be careful around pipes, drains, garages etc. Black widow and brown recluse spider bites can be extremely nasty - even fatal. Also be careful to stay away from rodents such as squirrels, chipmunks etc, as they can carry Bubonic plague. Also learn to identify and steer clear of coyotes. They have increased in numbers in recent years, and they are unafraid of man. They frequently venture into metro areas and have attacked pets and small children. Same for wolves, but their numbers are not so great. If you can, get a llama - but only one, mind. They will protect your homestead from coyotes. If you get two, they will form a relationship and neglect their guard duties.

In old musty buildings and sheds, be careful not to breath any dust because of Hanta virus.

Now, mountain lions are only a danger if you live in the foothills, or West of them. Should you encounter a mountain lion and don't have access to a shotgun or pepper spray, try to make yourself as large as possible. Bring your arms over your head, preferably spreading out a jacket or cardigan, and stand erect. Make lots of noise. STAND STILL. And look the predator straight in the eye. Never run, or turn your back. Stand your ground.

Rattle snakes are not too much of a problem. Beware the little baby ones, because they can get anywhere, from shoes to the the vents in your car. Unlike adults, baby rattlers are especially dangerous because they cannot regulate the amount of venom they inject. In the event of a bite, kill the snake, even if it means biting its head off. Bring the carcass and head to the emergency room.

If you live away from major metropolitan areas, be sure to boil or treat your drinking water because of the parasite girardia, which is found in mountain streams, rivers and some ground water. While not a primary source of death, girardia causes explosive diarrhea, which can be deadly if the patient is not kept hydrated and with sufficient electrolytes. Not to mention the awkward social situations that can arise.

Mercifully, Colorado is relatively free of bugs and critters, save for the aforementioned brown recklers and Black Widows. And the scorpions. No, Manc, not the Winds of the Change. The little ones. Basic rule of thumb: the larger the scorpion, the less dangerous it is. The smaller, the more venomous.

Oh, I forgot, stay away from prairie dogs. They look cute but they undermine your house and also carry Bubonic plague.

If you're in Denver, stay away from Colfax due to the "nightlife". And avoid the King Sooper's grocery store on 9th and Corona. It's too full of "characters".

Other than that, you're pretty much set. Enjoy yourselves, and welcome to the best state in the Union.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

1: Brush up on excercises to improve muscle strength in your arms.

2: Once you get here, go to your nearest store and invest in a couple of heavy-duty snow-shovels, before the excrement hits the rotary oscillator in late October/November.

Jim.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You did not mention Bears.

"Giant, marauding, godless killing machines"

Especially if you are one of my neighbours refuse bins.

There is one around here who has learned to open truck doors.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:11 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Go easy, there Boiler. We don't want to needlessly cause undue alarm.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Handy.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Cream puffs.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:27 pm
Peace onion

ZOMG! I forgot these guys. Tarantula Hawk.

Here's one tackling a large spider.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fe9_1276197565

Last edited by Octang Frye; Jun 11th 2010 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Then there's this, too;

http://wildlife.state.co.us/newsapp/...p?pressid=3780

Jim.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 2:38 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
1: Brush up on excercises to improve muscle strength in your arms.
Jim.
... for double fisting all the micro-brews.

Avery tapped their IPA today
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:25 am
Just Joined

heidif is just really niceheidif is just really niceheidif is just really niceheidif is just really niceheidif is just really niceheidif is just really niceheidif is just really niceheidif is just really nice

wow, great, thanks for the advice, like the one about snow shovels.

We have a house in Brighton and some land in Hudson which is about 40 mins from Denver and about an hour from Boulder. We have holidayed there every year for the past 10 years, as my sister in law lives there and we've experienced all weather types, had the glorious sunshine, storms, and been snowed in for a week. We got married up in the mountains near Nederland 5 years ago, so have experienced wild weather and mountain air.

Is there anything before I leave that would be helpful, to sort in the UK?

It's nice to hear people are happy and settled, you hear so many stories about people leaving and not enough about people that are happy. We want to be the latter.

Thanks all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.