Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Travel and Passport Questions

Emergency Travel and Passport Questions

Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:53 am
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice
Default Emergency Travel and Passport Questions

This week my Nan died and I need to travel to England to help my Mum out and to attend my Nan's funeral. I have my green card but my UK passport expired back in 2007.

I've been trying to get through to the British Embassy in DC all week but have only been able to get recorded messages and voicemail (I left one message but have not heard back).

Should I just turn up at the embassy (looking at driving up on Tuesday morning)?

Also, is an ETD ever a problem? – I would like to go ahead and book my tickets before the price goes up even further than it already is with such short notice and becomes completely unaffordable.

Is the embassy the right place to go or could/should I be trying to contact my
local honorary consulate in Philly?

Finally, does anybody know if I would be able to get a same-day premium service passport renewal whilst in London, even though I am no longer a UK resident (but am still a UK citizen of course).

Many thanks for any help offered here.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Travel and Passport Questions

It was a few years ago now, but my mum had her passport stolen when she was visiting me here, and we called the local consulate (luckily only about 45 miles away), and they gave her a temporary passport that allowed her to get back to England. It might be possible for you to do that and then apply for a passport back in the UK, and use their expedited service to get it before you need to go back to the US... I don't think there are any restrictions on who uses the expedited service (but don't know that for sure).

I don't know if all consulates do that, or do that now, but the woman I spoke to there was really helpful and I'm sure yours would know what to do, even if that consulate didn't supply temporary passports. Good luck.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your nan.

Last edited by Jscl; Oct 15th 2011 at 7:29 am.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rumplestiltskin
... is an ETD ever a problem? – I would like to go ahead and book my tickets before the price goes up even further than it already is with such short notice and becomes completely unaffordable.
Should be fine on its own for travel to the UK. For the return journey, you have a permanent resident card, so there's no need for a visa in the ETD. (The US Embassy in London will be able to confirm this.)

Is the embassy the right place to go or could/should I be trying to contact my local honorary consulate in Philly?
Your local consulate. See also:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s/short-notice

Finally, does anybody know if I would be able to get a same-day premium service passport renewal whilst in London, even though I am no longer a UK resident (but am still a UK citizen of course).
I think that's now possible as long as you make an appointment in advance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...ions/DG_174149

Assuming your emergency travel document is valid for the return journey, you'll have the choice of obtaining a new passport in the UK or waiting until you're back in the USA.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumplestiltskin
This week my Nan died and I need to travel to England to help my Mum out and to attend my Nan's funeral. I have my green card but my UK passport expired back in 2007.

I've been trying to get through to the British Embassy in DC all week but have only been able to get recorded messages and voicemail (I left one message but have not heard back).

Should I just turn up at the embassy (looking at driving up on Tuesday morning)?

Also, is an ETD ever a problem? – I would like to go ahead and book my tickets before the price goes up even further than it already is with such short notice and becomes completely unaffordable.

Is the embassy the right place to go or could/should I be trying to contact my
local honorary consulate in Philly?

Many thanks for any help offered here.
Note to those Expats sitting around with an expired Passport Get it renewed right away.......before you find youselves in a situation like this!

Jim.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brioche
Should be fine on its own for travel to the UK. For the return journey, you have a permanent resident card, so there's no need for a visa in the ETD. (The US Embassy in London will be able to confirm this.)

Your local consulate. See also:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s/short-notice

I think that's now possible as long as you make an appointment in advance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...ions/DG_174149

Assuming your emergency travel document is valid for the return journey, you'll have the choice of obtaining a new passport in the UK or waiting until you're back in the USA.
The airline may not let a person using an expired PP board the plane. Best to check with the airline and get it in writing.

Rumplestiltskin...use the search function to search the US forums as this subject has been discussed several times.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about the passport questions, but you should be able to get bereavement fare for you flight.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The airline may not let a person using an expired PP board the plane.
The expired passport doesn't come into it, since the OP would be using an emergency travel document instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_emergency_passport
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:20 am

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice

Thanks, everyone.

I went ahead and booked the tickets and will call the consulate in Philly Monday and, if necessary drive to DC on Tuesday.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:34 am

So, the consulate called me back and gave me a Thursday appointment which of course I attended and in less than 30-minutes I was out of the door, ETD in hand.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame the Embassy in DC is so unapproachable, because the Consulates seem to be really good. The lady I worked at from the San Francisco Consulate actually offered to change her lunch hour for me, because she knew I was coming in on the train and it might be awkward for me. She couldn't have been more helpful.

Anyway, glad you got your ETD.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jscl
It's a shame the Embassy in DC is so unapproachable, because the Consulates seem to be really good. The lady I worked at from the San Francisco Consulate actually offered to change her lunch hour for me, because she knew I was coming in on the train and it might be awkward for me. She couldn't have been more helpful.

Anyway, glad you got your ETD.
Absolutely... All of the staff I encountered were truly exceptional, from the security guy to the lady who created the ETD for me.

I also arrived about 30 minutes early, fully expextecting to wait until my appointment time but was seen to right away and was leaving just as I should have been arriving.