British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Emergency Travel Document - Portland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/emergency-travel-document-portland-711786/)

Adamn1 Apr 1st 2011 8:42 pm

Emergency Travel Document - Portland

Hi guys and girls,

Has anyone had any experience of doing this? I need to fly next wednesday, Portland being my nearest consulate (from Seattle) I called the office and had to leave a voicemail for them to call me back.

Worryingly the voicemail said "someone will call you back in the next few days"...

Any ideas? I faxed them too :)

lansbury Apr 1st 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Emergency Travel Document - Portland

If you mean Portland OR, it isn't a full Consulate, it is only an Honorary Console and to the best of my knowledge doesn't do what you want. You have an Honorary Consulate in Seattle as well. If Honorary Consulates do emergency passports the Seattle will as well.

The main full purpose Consulate which covers Washington and Oregon is in San Fransisco .

This is SFO Consulates instructions for emergency passports. http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/about-u.../howwecanhelp/

Scouse Express Apr 1st 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Adamn1 (Post 9280170)
Hi guys and girls,

Has anyone had any experience of doing this? I need to fly next wednesday, Portland being my nearest consulate (from Seattle) I called the office and had to leave a voicemail for them to call me back.

Worryingly the voicemail said "someone will call you back in the next few days"...

Any ideas? I faxed them too :)

"A Close Friend Getting Married" (as stated in a previous post) is not a normal reason for an "Emergency Travel Document" being issued.

They are normally issued for more serious matters.

Jim.

Adamn1 Apr 1st 2011 10:08 pm

The info that comes up for the Seattle office is old. I think it has closed now as the phone number doesnt work. The ukinusa website suggests Portland can issue them, trouble is you can reach a human.

Adamn1 Apr 1st 2011 10:11 pm

You're right Jim, but the guidelines for issue state that they can be issued if you have travel plans and a previously applied for passport hasnt arrived.

meauxna Apr 1st 2011 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Adamn1 (Post 9280314)
You're right Jim, but the guidelines for issue state that they can be issued if you have travel plans and a previously applied for passport hasnt arrived.

But in your case, payment has been taken... don't the other posts suggests that means your is being put in the mail to you already?

Bob Apr 1st 2011 10:47 pm

Emergency documents have been asked about in the past, if you don't hear back from the consulate, it might be worth searching out previous threads to see what was posted and possibly pm'ing Dean, the British Consul, who posts on this site to see if he can possibly help or point you in the right direction.

Adamn1 Apr 1st 2011 10:49 pm

Couldn't tell you, just read the rules and it says if your passport hadn't turned up...

Adamn1 Apr 1st 2011 11:13 pm

Thank you Bob, the consul did call me and san Francisco is my only option. I pm'd dean (top guy) and he was going to look into where my passport was. The consul lady in SF said she didn't think I was getting it in time.

British Consul Apr 2nd 2011 11:46 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9280280)
If you mean Portland OR, it isn't a full Consulate, it is only an Honorary Console and to the best of my knowledge doesn't do what you want. You have an Honorary Consulate in Seattle as well. If Honorary Consulates do emergency passports the Seattle will as well.

To confirm, Honorary Consulates don't provide Emergency Travel Documents. They are only available from Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Orlando, and San Francisco.

Dean