Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Travel Document/Passport Processing Times

Emergency Travel Document/Passport Processing Times

Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:25 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emergency Travel Document/Passport Processing Times

I'm a GC holder. I may need to travel on very short notice back to the UK. My son 16, also a GC holder will need to come with me but his UK passport has expired. How long are passport applications taking right now?

My 85 year old grandmother is in hospital with a chest infection that isn't responding to antibiotics and heart failure and I don't know what to do. What do I do to get an emergency travel document. I've searched, read, followed links and I am just not getting it. I really am not up for that right now. Can someone just tell me what I need to do so my son can travel with me?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:54 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Travel Document/Passport Processing Times

British Consulate-General - Chicago:

Please note the Consular Section cannot answer visa or general passport enquiries.

The Consular Section handles notarial work, citizenship ceremonies, notices of marriages and matters relating to the welfare of British citizens within our consular district.

All customers must have an appointment. Please use our online appointment form.

All passport enquiries (other than emergency travel documents) are dealt with by the British Embassy in Washington, D.C. Please see our passport section.

625 N Michigan Avenue
Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 970 3800

Phone them tell them is is an urgent compassionate case and you require emergency travel documents
Old Apr 20th 2012, 5:56 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo.../urgent-travel

see here also for info
Old Apr 20th 2012, 6:38 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Dean, our friendly British Consul, assured me in mid March that passport processing times were running to the advertised schedule of 10-15 days to process.

I sent my passport by UPS on March 15th
It was signed for on March 20th
Payment was taken on April 3rd

...and no sign of my passport yet.

And this was for a simple renewal of a passport a month or two before it was due to expire.

Given the most generous interpretation of "10-15 days to process", that somehow doesn't count the 13 days between my packet being signed for and payment being taken, I'm still beyond the 15 day mark.

With my mother ill in London, I really could have done without getting f**ed by blind bureaucracy, where I can't find out where the hell my passport is, and have no idea of when it will re-appear.

Sorry this doesn't help you, but it at least gives one example of a current processing timeline.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spam

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I'm a GC holder. I may need to travel on very short notice back to the UK. My son 16, also a GC holder will need to come with me but his UK passport has expired. How long are passport applications taking right now?

My 85 year old grandmother is in hospital with a chest infection that isn't responding to antibiotics and heart failure and I don't know what to do. What do I do to get an emergency travel document. I've searched, read, followed links and I am just not getting it. I really am not up for that right now. Can someone just tell me what I need to do so my son can travel with me?
Passport processing times are shown on our website at http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa (processing takes four weeks from the date payment is taken - normally 20 working days).

To get an Emergency Travel Document, you should call your local British Consulate to discuss your requirements and to arrange an appointment. You will be issued with an ETD during your appointment - which normally takes about 40 minutes.

Details of our Consulates are shown here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/about-u...port-locations

You will need to select the "Emergency Support for British nationals" option when calling.

I hope this helps.

Dean
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

ManBearPigglyWiggly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000

I sent my passport by UPS on March 15th
It was signed for on March 20th
Payment was taken on April 3rd

...and no sign of my passport yet.

And this was for a simple renewal of a passport a month or two before it was due to expire.

Given the most generous interpretation of "10-15 days to process", that somehow doesn't count the 13 days between my packet being signed for and payment being taken, I'm still beyond the 15 day mark.

With my mother ill in London, I really could have done without getting f**ed by blind bureaucracy, where I can't find out where the hell my passport is, and have no idea of when it will re-appear.
Hey DBJ - just to let you know that we're on the same timeline (application signed for 20th March, money taken 3rd April) and I rang the careline yesterday and they said they had printed my passport that day (24th April) and that I could expect it to be sent out today (25th) and that it would take a couple of days to get to me (so I'm expecting it Friday-ish).

I know how you feel - I have a sick relative too, so it's been a pretty anxiety inducing and unpleasant process. While there's no guarantee that yours is at the same stage as mine, given that our timeline was the same I thought it worth posting. If you can call the careline they could confirm the status of your passport for you. Fingers crossed for both of us.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

ManBearPigglyWiggly is an unknown quantity at this point

DBJ, in fact my passport turned up today, just now - it was sent out yesterday from the UK. I hope yours does too!

Timeline for anyone who's interested, for a standard renewal on a recently expired passport:

Signed for in DC: 20th March
Payment taken: 3rd April
Passport received: 25th April.

Supporting docs not back yet.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:08 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
Passport processing times are shown on our website at http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa (processing takes four weeks from the date payment is taken - normally 20 working days).

To get an Emergency Travel Document, you should call your local British Consulate to discuss your requirements and to arrange an appointment. You will be issued with an ETD during your appointment - which normally takes about 40 minutes.

Details of our Consulates are shown here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/about-u...port-locations

You will need to select the "Emergency Support for British nationals" option when calling.

I hope this helps.

Dean
Thank you so much

How much does the ETD cost?

The website says it needs dates of travel. I have no idea yet when we will have to fly.

Do I have to book flights before I make appointment for ETD?
Do I have to book flights before I attend appointment?
Do I wait until the flights are booked before doing anything?

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

ned1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work for the UK passport agency, they can do same day turnaround on UK passports especially in emergencies. Now, Im not 100% on how it works over here in the US but I believe they can do same day turnaround in the embassies or at least provide you with the ETD on the same day.

Contact your local UK embassy and speak to them. If its a passport renewal they can usually push it through very quickly. The reason for requiring a date of travel is not for your case but those who have already booked travel and then lost their documents. Its to show that an ETD is a necessity and not peace of mind (e.g. flying in 2 weeks they can go via another method of application).

I hope it all works out. Sorry I cant be more help.
Ned
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:43 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Thank you so much

How much does the ETD cost?

The website says it needs dates of travel. I have no idea yet when we will have to fly.

Do I have to book flights before I make appointment for ETD?
Do I have to book flights before I attend appointment?
Do I wait until the flights are booked before doing anything?

Thank you in advance.
I think I have found the answers to my questions:

http://ukpassportdelays.blogspot.com...documents.html

If you need to travel immediately an Emergency Travel Document (EDT) can be issued, currently at the cost of $157, and must be applied for in person. Emergency Travel Documents are only available to people who already have a UK passport. If you are applying for your first passport you will not be eligible for an ETD. Also, an ETD will likely only be issued within 5 days of your travel date. You have to present your travel itinerary at your Consulate appointment. An ETD is valid for a single trip, via up to 5 destinations (e.g. US to UK return via France).

So, I'm understanding that I have to book flights before I will be issued and EDT.

1 Book Flights
2 Make appointment
3 Appear in person and get documents that day
Old Apr 27th 2012, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Emergency Travel Document/Passport Processing Times

I think I have found the answers to my questions:

http://ukpassportdelays.blogspot.com...documents.html

If you need to travel immediately an Emergency Travel Document (EDT) can be issued, currently at the cost of $157, and must be applied for in person. Emergency Travel Documents are only available to people who already have a UK passport. If you are applying for your first passport you will not be eligible for an ETD. Also, an ETD will likely only be issued within 5 days of your travel date. You have to present your travel itinerary at your Consulate appointment. An ETD is valid for a single trip, via up to 5 destinations (e.g. US to UK return via France).

So, I'm understanding that I have to book flights before I will be issued and EDT.

1 Book Flights
2 Make appointment
3 Appear in person and get documents that day
I'd call first to make an appointment, but know the details of the flight you have booked (have it on hold with the airline if possible). Sometimes we can't issue an ETD because we don't have the electronic record of your passport and we need to request the file from the issuing office.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old Apr 27th 2012, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrow Re: Emergency Travel Document/Passport Processing Times

Originally Posted by ned1983
I used to work for the UK passport agency, they can do same day turnaround on UK passports especially in emergencies. Now, Im not 100% on how it works over here in the US but I believe they can do same day turnaround in the embassies or at least provide you with the ETD on the same day.

Contact your local UK embassy and speak to them. If its a passport renewal they can usually push it through very quickly. The reason for requiring a date of travel is not for your case but those who have already booked travel and then lost their documents. Its to show that an ETD is a necessity and not peace of mind (e.g. flying in 2 weeks they can go via another method of application).

I hope it all works out. Sorry I cant be more help.
Ned
Ned,

Many thanks. Full passports can no longer be provided on the same day overseas as they are all printed in the UK. The travel date is needed because that is embedded into the ETD.

Dean