Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for Domestic Flights?

Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for Domestic Flights?

Old Jul 10th 2012, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

pixelnurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for Domestic Flights?

Hi All,

hoping someone might have some experience on this. I'm living in the US on an L1A visa. I lost my passport a week ago, and I do not have a California ID. I'm scheduled to fly from SFO to NYC for a week at the end of July. I'll then return to SFO.

I called the SF consulate and they've booked an appointment for me to get an ETD later this month. However, the ETD is really designed to allow you to get back to the UK I believe. Does anyone have experience of using an ETD for domestic travel? At this stage I think it's my only option as the ID card and/or replacement passport won't be ready in time for my trip.

Many thanks for any advice!
Lee
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for Domestic Flights?

Originally Posted by pixelnurse
I lost my passport a week ago, and I do not have a California ID.
You don't have any other photo ID? Driver's license? Nothing?

Ian
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The question might be, what can you show the DMV to get a state ID?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

Maybe an infopass appointment to get something from USCIS to show to DMV?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

I don't have any other form of state/federally recognized photo ID. Somebody at work claims they used their work ID badge once and were able to fly using that as photo ID, but that seems crazy.

Unfortunately there's no way the ID card would get delivered on time for the trip even if the DMV would accept an application. The only document I have that they accept is my I-797C. However, the I-94 portion has been detached and handed in to USCIS, so I believe that means it isn't valid. Plus it's older than 1 year, and only has 9 months validity left.

I'm hoping that a combination of the UK issued ETD, my old expired passport and my I-797C will be enough. My next stop is to call the airlines to see if they'll accept that, but that's going to be a long chore so I'd hoped others might have some experience.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

To summarize, what I will have available is:

• UK Emergency travel document form the consulate in SF.
• My I-797C Notice of Action document from the USCIS.
• My old expired UK passport.
• A scan/print of my lost passport and visa stamp.
• My social security card.
• A credit card.
• A work issued photo ID badge from my employer.

What are my chances?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

• A credit card.

What are my chances?
You have a decent chance, TSA does deal with people daily who have no photo ID available at all, and not having a photo ID does not mean you can't fly, but you will be subjected to additional screening most likely and will need to build that into your arrival time before the flight.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

• A credit card.

What are my chances?
It doesn't have to be US state or federal ID. You can use other UK photo ID. Or submit to the non-ID process as Jsmth has indicated.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

My boyfriend had his wallet stolen when we were in Vegas a couple of years ago. It had his drivers license in it. He managed to fly back to southern California on my word. In other words they took me aside and asked me his name, where he lived etc.

Not sure if you are travelling with someone?!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any other form of state/federally recognized photo ID.
But... you have an expired passport. Excellent. It may not be valid for international travel, but it's still government issued photo ID. There's no requirement that the photo ID be issued by the US government. It's still valid proof of your identity.

Ian
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the responses. I believe the ETD also has a photo on it, so while not a passport, it is a UK issued document with my details and photo.

I've reached out to the TSA to ask their advice too. Hopefully it'll be a positive response. If it is positive then I'll print it out and take it with me too!

Assuming the TSA don't have a big problem, will the domestic airlines actually let me board do you think?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

FYI, got the following canned response from the TSA. Sounds positive and in-line with the wisdom of this crowd. So now I have to decide whether I book my flight or not. The accommodation is already booked and there's no way I'll get my money back, but I was hesitant to book flights. Guess I'll go ahead now? :/

The Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) identity verification policy requires all adult passengers (18 and older) to provide a valid Federal or State Government-issued photo identification (ID) for inspection before entering the security checkpoint. In addition, Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) always have the option of requesting a second form of ID.

Passengers who do not have a valid photo ID may present other forms of ID to assist in the verification of their identity. Passengers may present documents such as social security cards, birth certificates, marriage licenses, or credit cards, as long as the information on the documents bears the name of the passenger. There is no standard list of what forms of alternative identification are acceptable, however, TSOs will ask for at least two forms of this identification.

If a passenger is unable to present a valid photo ID or TSA questions the identification presented, the passenger may be asked to assist TSA in the identity verification process. Under this process, TSA may ask the passenger to complete a Certification of Identity form, which requests the passenger’s name and current address, and may ask additional questions of the passenger to confirm his or her identity. If TSA is able to confirm the passenger’s identity, the passenger will be cleared to enter the screening checkpoint; however, the individual may be subject to additional screening. If we are unable to confirm a passenger’s identity, or a passenger refuses to provide ID or cooperate in the ID verification process, TSA will deny the passenger entry into the security checkpoint. We recommend that travelers arrive at least 2 hours in advance of their flight time to allow ample time for security screening and boarding of aircraft.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:43 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the responses. I believe the ETD also has a photo on it, so while not a passport, it is a UK issued document with my details and photo.

I've reached out to the TSA to ask their advice too. Hopefully it'll be a positive response. If it is positive then I'll print it out and take it with me too!

Assuming the TSA don't have a big problem, will the domestic airlines actually let me board do you think?
It is my understanding the TSA is primarily there to make sure you do not take anything dangerous on board, and perhaps verify you are the person named on the ticket. I can not see a reason that your expired passport will not work. The other stuff you listed is a bonus. Not sure what the ETD is precisely, but that might just confuse the people you might show it to...?
Edit: I see they gave you similar advice.
If you are still concerned, have you thought about train/bus/car to get there. That could be an adventure in itself!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Emergency Travel Document (ETD) for Domestic Flights?

The official name for an ETD is an "Emergency Passport" (it has that printed on the front of it) but because we also have a single sheet paper document called an "Emergency Passport" (which is essentially held in reserve for emergency evacuations etc) we refer to it as an Emergency Travel Document. More information on the ETD is available here

We do issue the ETD's for domestic travel from time to time if there is no other form of ID available.

Hope this helps.

Dean