British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Emergency Travel Doc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/emergency-travel-doc-803307/)

Bluegrass Lass Jul 18th 2013 4:57 pm

Emergency Travel Doc

So now we have to deal with getting an emergency travel doc because OH's new company have purchased a one-way ticket back to the UK. His UK passport expired last Oct. Between all our moving, and job losses we just couldn't get it renewed before now. I'm assuming he will face issues just trying to board a flight as the check-in agents aren't going to like him going on a one-way, with an expired UK passport? So now we have to squeeze in a stop in Chicago (as the Consulate in Seattle doesn't do ETDs) on our way driving back across the country.

Does anyone know if they issue these the same day in Chicago? We only have a very tight window to make this happen. The woman on the consulate helpline said they have to check if he is in their database before they could issue an ETD - and if he isn't, then they likely can't issue an ETD. Who would be in this database? Anyone who renewed a passport inside the UK? Or anyone born inside the UK (he was born abroad so I hope that doesn't create a problem)?

Oh, we really just didn't need this right now. We assumed a return ticket would be less expensive & that's what they would purchase, and he would enter the UK on his expired UK passport with his birth cert as proof..and then he wouldn't have any issues getting past the check-in agents.

Pulaski Jul 18th 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Emergency Travel Doc

I don't believe he'll have a major problem getting into the UK with an expired passport, he is a British citizen and it would be virtually impossible to deny him entry. The question you really need an answer for is will the airline allow him onto the plane with a one way ticket and an expired passport? Only the airline will tell you that with any degree of certainty.

Bluegrass Lass Jul 18th 2013 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10806951)
I don't believe he'll have a major problem getting into the UK with an expired passport, he is a British citizen and it would be virtually impossible to deny him entry. The question you really need an answer for is will the airline allow him onto the plane with a one way ticket and an expired passport? Only the airline will tell you that with any degree of certainty.

That's exactly our concern Pulaski. We're going to call them today, but are trying to CYA by looking into a travel doc as well.

Yorkieabroad Jul 18th 2013 6:45 pm

If I were you, if the airline confirm that it is OK on the phone, I would try to get it in writing/email. Last thing you want is to turn up at the airport thinking it is ok, only to be confronted with a check in clerk having a bad day.......

Pulaski Jul 18th 2013 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10807088)
If I were you, if the airline confirm that it is OK on the phone, I would try to get it in writing/email. Last thing you want is to turn up at the airport thinking it is ok, only to be confronted with a check in clerk having a bad day.......

Absolutely, .... in fact I would run the question up the management chain as far as you can, and request a name and title, someone with real authority. THEN ask THEM for it in writing.

lansbury Jul 18th 2013 8:18 pm

If you do have problems at check in. Ask them to phone the Chief Immigration Officer in the arrival airport terminal and get them to confirm to the airline they will admit him. The terminal part is important as most airports have a CIO for each terminal accepting international flights.

Bluegrass Lass Jul 18th 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks for the tips. We've got confirmation that he is in the Consulate's database and they are willing to issue him an ETD. But we have to get the confirmed flight itinerary before they will book him an appointment at the Chicago consulate...which we don't have yet. The HR generalist has only given him a proposed flight itinerary. I hope they will provide this to him tomorrow so we can somehow get him an appt. at the consulate next Thursday.

Englishmum Jul 19th 2013 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10807213)
If you do have problems at check in. Ask them to phone the Chief Immigration Officer in the arrival airport terminal and get them to confirm to the airline they will admit him. The terminal part is important as most airports have a CIO for each terminal accepting international flights.

True. I (very briefly) worked for BA at Newark airport a few years ago. There were passengers - British citizens - who arrived at the check-in desk with expired passports or had lost them during their trip to the US, sometimes whilst they were travelling to the airport. The airline agent would just phone the duty CIO at LHR (the airlines have dedicated/unlisted telephone numbers for the immigration officers in UK airports) and get permission for the passenger to board the flight. To the best of my knowledge, no British citizen was denied boarding.

henryh Jul 19th 2013 10:05 pm

The ETD seems unnecessary to me.

Bluegrass Lass Jul 19th 2013 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by henryh (Post 10809003)

Apparently its what their lawyers advised him to do as well. I think of it as a just in case he needs it, it's better to have it than not.

Jerseygirl Jul 20th 2013 12:22 am

Originally Posted by henryh (Post 10809003)

Why? It's what is recommended by the British Consul who posts on here from time to time.

MsElui Jul 20th 2013 2:18 am

If nothing else, it could speed up the process at the airport. Ie I expect he could get by with the phone call thing mentioned above, but you'd have to explain it to the relevant immigration officer, who would no doubt pass it up the chain til it hit someone who knew this, then they would have to make the call, find the right person at the other end, search the database etc, Having a travel doc already could just make it quicker , easier and less painlfull.

British Consul Jul 25th 2013 3:29 am

:thumbup:

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10809133)
Why? It's what is recommended by the British Consul who posts on here from time to time.

Bluegrass Lass Jul 30th 2013 11:37 pm

So just to update all of you. We managed to meet our tough schedule, and made it to the Chicago consulate for the OH to get the emergency travel doc. It only took about an hour or so, and was quite painless. The funny thing is, he was never asked for it. The check-in agents here in the US never looked at his UK passport (only his US one), and when he went through immigration in Dublin he said his UK passport was barely glanced at. So even though we went through a lot of hassle to change travel plans, and spent the almost $160 for the travel doc, he didn't end up needing it. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Isn't it funny how those things happen, because you know if he didn't get it, he'd have had all sorts of trouble getting back into the UK.

Sally Redux Jul 31st 2013 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10827548)

Isn't it funny how those things happen, because you know if he didn't get it, he'd have had all sorts of trouble getting back into the UK.

Yes, you just know there would have been a problem if you hadn't got it!