Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

And not to be pedantic but ...

It's actually, "Is you IS or is you ain't ... "

So don't be messing with the syntax, Mo.

PS - I love you Mo-mo-mony.

Last edited by Leslie; Nov 30th 2010 at 4:00 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
And not to be pedantic but ...

It's actually, "Is you IS or is you ain't ... "

So don't be messing with the syntax, Mo.

PS - I love you Mo-mo-mony.
I know.
My dad says it all the time and I botched it up. Just like my emergency preparedness. Now you won't even let me sit on the roof with you, begging for water, I'll bet.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I know.
My dad says it all the time and I botched it up. Just like my emergency preparedness. Now you won't even let me sit on the roof with you, begging for water, I'll bet.
Aren't you some kind of moderator Goddess type person? Can't you just FIX it?

Yes, of course you can sit on the roof with me. We can wait together, for Geraldo to come save us in his boat, while our clean white brassieres slowly turn to gray.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:44 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the thread, mix. I actually thought about this today after reading a story in our local paper about the risk of an earthquake at the nearby New Madrid fault (West Tennessee). Made me realize we are probably woefully unprepared, and it could be esp. important having a little one around too. I think I'll mention this to hubby and maybe we can start putting together that 72 hour kit, little by little, as we go along. Perhaps starting with that big trash can to put everything in.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
They attended one of the tsunami preparedness meetings and were getting more and more upset... at the end of the meeting, the presenter was going over some elevation maps and mom went up to see 'how bad' it was at their property.
"Oh yes, the Xs, let's see.. you are right here (points at map). Oh, you are screwed."

The folks moved to Arizona shortly afterward. .
In my early days in the police service they had what they called home defense training, run by two guys know throughout the Met as Rontgen Ron and Nuclear Ned. This was a course run in Peel House near Vauxhall Bridge. The first morning they had a large map of London and the Home Counties with red dots on it which were the targets the Russians where supposed to be planning to drop a nuclear bomb on. We all studied the map and realized we all both lived and worked close to a red dot.

A lunch time we went down the pub and the afternoon was somewhat of a blur.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
We are screwed aren't we... knowing our luck there will be a big earthquake, causing the tsunami just as Mt Rainier blows its top..
I think you have more to fear from the volcano at Yellowstone National Park erupting. It does so every 600 million years, last time was 630 million years ago.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
In an emergency, I'm going to make it a point to find someone with Steerpike's disposition and take all of their emergency supplies. Just because I am an asshole and because I can.
That's why this is part of the kit

cal sniper rifle pictures
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:35 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
In my early days in the police service they had what they called home defense training, run by two guys know throughout the Met as Rontgen Ron and Nuclear Ned. This was a course run in Peel House near Vauxhall Bridge. The first morning they had a large map of London and the Home Counties with red dots on it which were the targets the Russians where supposed to be planning to drop a nuclear bomb on. We all studied the map and realized we all both lived and worked close to a red dot.

A lunch time we went down the pub and the afternoon was somewhat of a blur.
We just practiced getting under our desks a school.

I DID have a classmate whose dad had built a bomb shelter though.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:00 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
We just practiced getting under our desks a school.
The UK equivalent of "Duck and Cover" was "Protect and Survive", iirc.

Runrig did a very good song by that title.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
The UK equivalent of "Duck and Cover" was "Protect and Survive", iirc.

Runrig did a very good song by that title.
Don't forget "when the wind blows" by Raymond Briggs. The animated film was pretty good.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:53 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
And if you run out of bullets, you can use it as a club, mallet, dumbbell.

Anyway, I wouldn't pick on you, obviously. Just the preachy guns are teh debil types.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Don't forget "when the wind blows" by Raymond Briggs. The animated film was pretty good.
Yeah, that was depressing. And Brother In The Land, which we had to read at school. And there was Threads (never saw it), and I heard about the Day After. No wonder I was terrified as a kid.

We had an air raid siren go off at the nearby army base and it put the fear of God into me. I spent the next few years studying Ceefax and Oracle for Middle East war news.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a ice scraper/broom in the boot of the car along with a blanket, torch, hammer kit, first aid kit, reflective triangle and that's about it...

There was a box of matches and a candle for heat, but the missus took the candle.

As for the apartment, well, we'll just bitch to the building management
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:12 pm
Peace onion

You need pet food, and a wind-up radio.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

omg, the wind up radio.. I almost forgot... on to list with that one.

CAT food covered already, ov course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.