Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:31 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Preparedness: Is You or Is You Ain't?

Hurricanes are our bugaboo here. I have a case of water on hand AND have a portable lockbox with all important papers in it. Luckily only had to bug out once in 18 years so far and that ended up being a close but no cigar you get more wind from a fart,
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I put clean knickers on every day...you never know when something unforeseen may happen and you have to go to hospital.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:04 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yeah, "apparently".
My parents lived in a beautiful part of the Oregon coast and happened to have a house right on the front. They attended one of the tsunami preparedness meetings and were getting more and more upset... at the end of the meeting, the presenter was going over some elevation maps and mom went up to see 'how bad' it was at their property.
"Oh yes, the Xs, let's see.. you are right here (points at map). Oh, you are screwed."

The folks moved to Arizona shortly afterward.

When that wave comes, there will be no escaping. Call me a doomsayer, but seriously, if it is anything like history suggests, you simply can't run uphill that fast.
Our fault line (shared with Seattle) is the same sort as caused the Indonesia tsunami. It's due any day now too (don't tell your little kids that tho, please?).
We are screwed aren't we... knowing our luck there will be a big earthquake, causing the tsunami just as Mt Rainier blows its top..

hey hoooo, I will be prepared but also carry on in my bubble thinking "it will never happen"

The biggest risk to me is driving to work everyday with all those trucks out there!!!! especially when it snows

Edit to add: I am convinced I am going in an avalanche anyway......

Last edited by Burn1911; Nov 30th 2010 at 3:08 am.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I just got the update from FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) that the Atlantic hurricane season ends tomorrow (phew!). "The season began on June 1 and was the most active hurricane season since 2005, with 19 named storms and 12 hurricanes." The email goes on to urge individuals to prepare in advance for all sorts of natural/unnatural disasters & emergencies.

Earlier this year, I organized a Know Your Neighborhood meeting for the people on my block. We compiled our contact details, a skills & equipment inventory and became familiar with who might need extra assistance in case of an emergency. We set a meeting point and communication protocol. Earthquakes are our biggest concern here, but this could apply to an ice storm or anything that cut the neighborhood off from services.

I carry an emergency escape pack in the trunk of the car but I've had a few false starts getting a comprehensive emergency kit together. The water storage bottles are sitting empty, in the basement (oh the shame!). I know I can confess the truth to my friends here. I keep meaning to make copies of all those important documents, and probably more importantly, to have a bug out bag under my bed with at least some clothes in it, in case 'it' happens after dark.

I'm pretty sure our house will stay standing but just in case, we've decided to put the 72-hour kit in the free standing garage because if it did collapse, we know we could move the rubble of that structure to get to our kit.

What do you have ready for an emergency?

From FEMA:
If you haven't taken the steps yet to be prepared for emergencies, you can visit www.ready.gov or www.listo.gov to learn more, including how to put together an emergency supply kit, develop a family communications plan, and stay informed of the hazards that exist in your area.
OMG, you're my hero! I want to be that organized some day when I grow up.....

I've got a few tins in the pantry and stale box of saltines and by god everyone else will have to fend for themselves!

No, seriously you've brought up some good ideas. Don't know how well it would be to organize anything with my neighbors. This is a bedroom community to be sure....
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
We are screwed aren't we... knowing our luck there will be a big earthquake, causing the tsunami just as Mt Rainier blows its top..

hey hoooo, I will be prepared but also carry on in my bubble thinking "it will never happen"

The biggest risk to me is driving to work everyday with all those trucks out there!!!! especially when it snows
Hey all I need is for Mt Rainier to blow its top, that will take care of us.....
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I put clean knickers on every day...you never know when something unforeseen may happen and you have to go to hospital.
That's preparedness for sure, JG.....
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's preparedness for sure, JG.....
Just think of the embarrassment if you were buried under rubble...legs akimbo...wearing dirty knickers.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just think of the embarrassment if you were buried under rubble...legs akimbo...wearing dirty knickers.
I'll be sure and not soil myself when Mt Rainier blows it's top and it all rains down on my parade..... I just know the last thought I'll have is JG warned me about days like this.....
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:33 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Water, warmth, light, mirror, TOILET PAPER. First aid kit. Emergency blankets. Bondage gear. Food. Medication. Gore-Tex. Pocket knife. Goat cheese.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Emergency Preparedness: I isn't.

The way I figure, a tornado is the most likely disaster to befall us. Not sure how one can prepare for something that could (literally) blow away every ounce of preparation you can make. Or collapse your house onto all those items that you need. I'm open to suggestions though.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:29 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Pistol, AR-15 and a shotgun with 10,000 rounds of ammo for when the zombies come.
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've just bought 100 rounds of .303 Brit with wooden bullets, just in case the zombies turn out to be vampires.

Incidentally, now that I'm reloading, I've been debating the merits of running down my stock of factory ammo to a base level and just keeping sufficient components to make what I might need above that.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:06 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

In an emergency, I'm going to make it a point to find someone with Steerpike's disposition and take all of their emergency supplies. Just because I am an asshole and because I can.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:42 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've just bought 100 rounds of .303 Brit with wooden bullets, just in case the zombies turn out to be vampires.

Incidentally, now that I'm reloading, I've been debating the merits of running down my stock of factory ammo to a base level and just keeping sufficient components to make what I might need above that.
Do you have a .303? The Lee Enfield .303 is the only rifle I know anything about.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:51 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Do you have a .303? The Lee Enfield .303 is the only rifle I know anything about.
I have two (at the mo) - an Ishapore No.1 Mk.III* and a Maltby No.4 Mk.1, both 1943. For Christmas, I'm getting a Fazakerly No.5 Mk.1 "Jungle Carbine".

Once I get this paper finished, I'm fixin' to do some reloading for them.

I also have a 1967 Ishapore 2A1 in 7.62x51mm.

When I let folks shoot them at the range, they really notice the difference in recoil between the .308 and the .303.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Luv, at that point they will be dirty no matter how long ago I put them on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.