Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Passport Requirements

Emergency Passport Requirements

Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

techgeekwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emergency Passport Requirements

The way it's looking, I won't receive my passport on time for either my vacation or business trip in the middle of next month.

I understand that there is an "Emergency Passport" that is available from the Local Consulate, however I don't know if I would qualify.

What are the conditions that have to be met? And will it allow me to re-enter the country.

Basically, I will be on a cruise from May 15th to May 21st stopping in the Bahama's, then leaving on May 25th to head to our Milan offices. I'll need to be able to get into and out of the countries listed, as well as return to the US. I do have a LPR Green Card, and from what I understand, that and some sort of other ID should be all I need to get back in.

Any help will be appreciated. This is going to be my first trip outside of the US since 2001 when we moved here. My local consulate is across the street from my office.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Passport Requirements

Originally Posted by techgeekwill View Post
What are the conditions that have to be met? And will it allow me to re-enter the country.
I believe it will get you into your home country, but then you'll need to get a passport before returning to the US.

I do have a LPR Green Card, and from what I understand, that and some sort of other ID should be all I need to get back in.
You only need a GC to get into the US. You will, however, require a passport to get on the plane.

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought the expired passport and the unexpired green card would do it.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The new emergency document will get you back into the US, (info Dean has posted before). It is good for 5 destinations, I don't know if that is on one trip, or if you can use it for 2 trips totaling 5 destinations. That is a question to ask the British Consulate.

I would be concerned if the airline staff know that, and let the person board the flight. Something to be checked beforehand with the airline, I would suggest.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 28th 2011 at 10:54 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
The new emergency document will get you back into the US, (info Dean has posted before). It is good for 5 destinations, I don't know if that is on one trip, or if you can use it for 2 trips totaling 5 destinations. That is a question to ask the British Consulate.

I would be concerned if the airline staff know that, and let the person board the flight. Something to be checked beforehand with the airline, I would suggest.
Well, the first trip will be a cruise and the only ports outside of the US are in the Bahama's.

The second to Milan is on KLM, which I sort of remember them being understanding about this stuff.

What is the timeframe of validity? If it cover's up to 5 destinations, it should suffice for all trips I need.

Finger's crossed that it get's here by June, or even July so I can go back to the UK.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Well, the first trip will be a cruise and the only ports outside of the US are in the Bahama's.

The second to Milan is on KLM, which I sort of remember them being understanding about this stuff.

What is the timeframe of validity? If it cover's up to 5 destinations, it should suffice for all trips I need.

Finger's crossed that it get's here by June, or even July so I can go back to the UK.
And of course the Consulate is closed for the Wedding.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 5:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately while I was working at Heathrow it was still the single trip emergency passports. I've never dealt with the new ones so other than they are good for 5 destinations, and can be used for a return trip, I know nothing else about them.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

I know for certain you need a Passport to go on a cruise, no other documents will do. My husband and I were checking into our Cruise to the Bahamas in January and a gentlemen was being detained because he didn't have his passport. The clerk checking us in said he won't be boarding despite having his birth certificate and photo id.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikechristina View Post
I know for certain you need a Passport to go on a cruise, no other documents will do. My husband and I were checking into our Cruise to the Bahamas in January and a gentlemen was being detained because he didn't have his passport. The clerk checking us in said he won't be boarding despite having his birth certificate and photo id.
But did he have a previous passport with him? An emergency travel document is just like a passport for travel purposes, so this would be a different situation I'd have thought.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikechristina View Post
That sounds like you are describing a US citizen, which isn't the case here. US citizens need a passport to enter the US; Permanent Residents can use just their Green Card.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Emergency Passport Requirements

The way it's looking, I won't receive my passport on time for either my vacation or business trip in the middle of next month.

I understand that there is an "Emergency Passport" that is available from the Local Consulate, however I don't know if I would qualify.

Basically, I will be on a cruise from May 15th to May 21st stopping in the Bahama's, then leaving on May 25th to head to our Milan offices. I'll need to be able to get into and out of the countries listed, as well as return to the US. I do have a LPR Green Card, and from what I understand, that and some sort of other ID should be all I need to get back in.

Any help will be appreciated. This is going to be my first trip outside of the US since 2001 when we moved here. My local consulate is across the street from my office.
If you haven't already done so, please contact the Passport Information Helpline and ask them to escalate your case to the IPS for an update.

If you have an escaltion number, please call your nearest British Consulate for assistance. They will be able to talk through your options for an Emergency Travel Document based on your itinerary and they will ask for a further update from the Identity and Passport Service (IPS).

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by British Consul View Post
If you haven't already done so, please contact the Passport Information Helpline and ask them to escalate your case to the IPS for an update.

If you have an escaltion number, please call your nearest British Consulate for assistance. They will be able to talk through your options for an Emergency Travel Document based on your itinerary and they will ask for a further update from the Identity and Passport Service (IPS).

Hope this helps.

Dean
I called the Careline last week, and they were of no help whatsoever, explaining that they couldn't do a thing unless my card has been charged.

I contacted the Houston Consulate yesterday, who took down my information and said they'd check with Washington. Sure enough, CC was charged this morning.

I have an appointment for an ETD the Friday before, this give about a week and half for my passport to arrive.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll be squared away.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:16 am
Just Joined

tomlancaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the Emergency travel document. I had my passport stolen and am due to fly home on Monday!!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomlancaster View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the Emergency travel document. I had my passport stolen and am due to fly home on Monday!!
There are details about ETDs and stolen PPs here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607794
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Spasticrhino is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Emergency Passport Requirements

It looks like I may be needing an emergency passport also as my application for a passport was received in Washington on May13th but my cc has not been charged yet and I doubt I will receive my passport by July 11th when I am supposed to leave to the U.K. So will the emergency passport grant me admission back to the U.S with my greencard.?

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.