Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

emergency passport renewal in Washington DC?

emergency passport renewal in Washington DC?

Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emergency passport renewal in Washington DC?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
And ???
An emergency document is issued by the UK Embassy for citizens who have lost/stolen etc their PP while overseas. It will get them back to the UK...it will not get them out of the UK and back into the US. Therefore Sarah requires a full UK PP before leaving the US and not an emergency document.

I know this has been discussed before...but I enquired about getting my UK PP renewed while I was visiting the UK and was told it had to be renewed via the UK Embassy in Washington DC because I am a US resident.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 4:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know this has been discussed before...but I enquired about getting my UK PP renewed while I was visiting the UK and was told it had to be renewed via the UK Embassy in Washington DC because I am a US resident.
(British citizen) Visitors to the UK can now use the UK Passport Service, if they provide an address in the UK to which a passport can be mailed. Alternatively, it may be possible to use the premium same day service.

However, this should not be relied upon if the time to visit the UK is short.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 4:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
This emergency document sounds appropriate for a British citizen resident in the UK (i.e. returning home). However, the OP lives in the US and would sooner or later return to the US.
Yes I know that is why I was cautioning her about its limitations, it would probably cause more inconvenience than waiting to be issued with a new passport.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:06 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

HUGE thanks for the responses in this thread, they have been really helpful and truly informative. I decided to go the normal route and send off for a renewal. The Embassy will have gotten my fedex-ed documents on Friday morning and so I'm praying that it'll be taken care of quickly.
My Dad has fallen 3 times on his crutches and is a bit down, but apart from that, he's on the mend, so thanks for all the well wishes. I'll K you all when I can.

Sarah.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
(British citizen) Visitors to the UK can now use the UK Passport Service, if they provide an address in the UK to which a passport can be mailed. Alternatively, it may be possible to use the premium same day service.

However, this should not be relied upon if the time to visit the UK is short.
Thanks
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
An emergency travel document is only good for one trip back to the UK, it will be taken off you by the immigration officer when you land. To get back to the USA you would then have to get a new passport in the UK.

I dealt with the things all the time when I worked at Heathrow
only need a greencard to enter the US, so that's okay.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That surely isn't correct if you are coming from the UK you would need a passport from country of origin and a green card.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:42 pm
What are you - 8?

LindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to beholdLindaBB is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lansbury
That surely isn't correct if you are coming from the UK you would need a passport from country of origin and a green card.
Yes you do need a passport from country of origin - LindaBB -
Old Aug 13th 2007, 11:04 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They have stamped my UK passport every time I have come back to the US since getting the GC.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
when flying into the country Bob, you've needed a passport since January 2007.

When driving you'll need a passport from Jan 2008.