British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   emergency passport renewal in Washington DC? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/emergency-passport-renewal-washington-dc-472352/)

Sarah Aug 7th 2007 8:25 pm

emergency passport renewal in Washington DC?

Just wondered...has anyone done it (trekked down to the embassy in DC to get a quickie passport renewal) and what their experiences are?

Got a message today that my dad has had an accident, has broken his leg in two places and isn't in great shape. Naturally I would like to go home and be with him, now is also a good time for me to go work-wise but in order to not piss my boss off too much I need to be go a.s.a.p -preferably by the 20th Aug.

I was in the process of renewing my (expired by 12 months) passport anyway, but have not sent my forms off, however, now I'm wondering if it would be any quicker to head down to DC and get it done, rather than sitting at home and waiting with my fingers crossed.

From what I have read, I have got the impression that it is not worth it to go down to DC, and isn't particularly quicker, but thought I would post on here to ask, and see if anyone has done it and what their experiences were.

miss scouse atl Aug 7th 2007 8:42 pm

Re: emergency passport renewal in Washington DC?

My new passport arrived by fedex this morning......it took 10 days from sending the forms off to actually having it in my hands. If you got the forms sent off asap (like tomorrow) you should have it in time for the 20th. However, depends if you wanna risk it or not.:confused:

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope he is feeling better soon.

Celsius Aug 7th 2007 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 5160864)
Just wondered...has anyone done it (trekked down to the embassy in DC to get a quickie passport renewal) and what their experiences are?

Got a message today that my dad has had an accident, has broken his leg in two places and isn't in great shape. Naturally I would like to go home and be with him, now is also a good time for me to go work-wise but in order to not piss my boss off too much I need to be go a.s.a.p -preferably by the 20th Aug.

I was in the process of renewing my (expired by 12 months) passport anyway, but have not sent my forms off, however, now I'm wondering if it would be any quicker to head down to DC and get it done, rather than sitting at home and waiting with my fingers crossed.

From what I have read, I have got the impression that it is not worth it to go down to DC, and isn't particularly quicker, but thought I would post on here to ask, and see if anyone has done it and what their experiences were.

Have you bought your air tickets? If not, purchase flexible fare tix. if I were you, I'd apply for expedited passport processing and change the flights if necessary.

Jerseygirl Aug 7th 2007 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl (Post 5160932)
My new passport arrived by fedex this morning......it took 10 days from sending the forms off to actually having it in my hands. If you got the forms sent off asap (like tomorrow) you should have it in time for the 20th. However, depends if you wanna risk it or not.:confused:

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope he is feeling better soon.

If I remember correctly there is a box on the form where you state booked travel dates. If she explains what's happened they may push it through PDQ.

Sorry to hear about your dad Sarah, good luck with the passie.

Bob Aug 8th 2007 5:14 pm

My sister got one through the embassy quick, well an emergency travel document, I don't really know the details, but BA sorted it our when hers got pinched, sorted it in a day, but that was a couple years ago and wouldn't have a clue how an ordinary phleb would get them to pull the finger out.

Good luck with your dad for a speedy recovery though :)

NC Penguin Aug 9th 2007 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5164484)
My sister got one through the embassy quick, well an emergency travel document, I don't really know the details, but BA sorted it our when hers got pinched, sorted it in a day, but that was a couple years ago and wouldn't have a clue how an ordinary phleb would get them to pull the finger out.

Good luck with your dad for a speedy recovery though :)

This was at the British Embassy in the US?

Bob Aug 9th 2007 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5165937)
This was at the British Embassy in the US?

yup, she's had good experience in passport getting pinched, one in the US, Nigeria and some other country.

LindaBB Aug 11th 2007 3:40 am

There is an agency deals with it - I will look for the link. They are in Ireland. I had an 800 number once for them. they can get it expedited. I got a call from the Consulate itself after they intervened for me. Let me see - next post will have more info.

Linda

LindaBB Aug 11th 2007 3:46 am

BritainUSA Home > Passport and Consular Services

Passport section address, opening hours and enquiries
Consular Section, 10/11/2006

Completed applications should be sent, or brought in, to the Passport Office at the address below:

Passport Office
British Embassy
19 Observatory Circle, NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tel: (900) 285 7277
Calls from land lines cost $2.49 per minute. If you wish to pay by credit card and are calling from a payphone or cell phone, please call 1-800 630 3332.

The passport office is open to the public from 08:00 to 11:30 a.m. Monday to Friday.

The Passport Office at the British Embassy, Washington DC, is the only place in the USA that issues British passports.

Please note that, for security reasons, no parking facilities are currently available at the passport office.

Passport enquiries:

With effect from Monday 25 April 2005, all passport enquiries will be handled by ABTRAN e-Care and Fulfilment. Please call 1-900 285 7277. Hours of operation: Weekdays from 08.30-20.30 Eastern Standard Time. Calls from land lines cost $2.49 per minute. If you wish to pay by credit card and are calling from a payphone or cell phone, please call 1-800 630 3332. If you are calling from the UK, the number is 0906 664 1717.

--------------------------------------------------------

There you are - both places .... I would call The British Embassy in DC, use your cc and use the 800 number. Fedex in your app and pay for the fedex back - watch out as they automatically tell Fedex top leave the package at the door.

Linda

Sarah Aug 11th 2007 6:12 am

Sincere thanks Linda.

lansbury Aug 11th 2007 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 5175248)
Sincere thanks Linda.

An emergency travel document is only good for one trip back to the UK, it will be taken off you by the immigration officer when you land. To get back to the USA you would then have to get a new passport in the UK.

I dealt with the things all the time when I worked at Heathrow

JAJ Aug 11th 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 5177349)
An emergency travel document is only good for one trip back to the UK, it will be taken off you by the immigration officer when you land. To get back to the USA you would then have to get a new passport in the UK.

I dealt with the things all the time when I worked at Heathrow

But why would the Embassy in Washington issue one of these and not a regular British passport??

lansbury Aug 11th 2007 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5177517)
But why would the Embassy in Washington issue one of these and not a regular British passport??

It can be issued immediately and is for someone who has had their passport lost or stolen while overseas, or someone whose passport has expired and needs to travel back to the UK in an emergency.

They are good for one trip only, and only back to the UK no other destination.

The Embassy would only issue one on request if the person cannot wait for the time it takes to issue a full passport. Also I believe, not 100% sure, an Embassy can only issue a UK passport to a UK citizen resident in the country they cover. So in the case of a lost passport on holiday it has to be an emergency travel document.

In Sarah's case the situation maybe such that she cannot wait and has to travel almost immediately.

Most countries have something similar to the emergency travel document for their own citizens with the same type of conditions for its use.

NC Penguin Aug 12th 2007 3:21 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 5177791)
It can be issued immediately and is for someone who has had their passport lost or stolen while overseas, or someone whose passport has expired and needs to travel back to the UK in an emergency.

They are good for one trip only, and only back to the UK no other destination.

The Embassy would only issue one on request if the person cannot wait for the time it takes to issue a full passport. Also I believe, not 100% sure, an Embassy can only issue a UK passport to a UK citizen resident in the country they cover. So in the case of a lost passport on holiday it has to be an emergency travel document.

In Sarah's case the situation maybe such that she cannot wait and has to travel almost immediately.

Most countries have something similar to the emergency travel document for their own citizens with the same type of conditions for its use.

This emergency document sounds appropriate for a British citizen resident in the UK (i.e. returning home). However, the OP lives in the US and would sooner or later return to the US.

BigDavyG Aug 12th 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5178526)
This emergency document sounds appropriate for a British citizen resident in the UK (i.e. returning home). However, the OP lives in the US and would sooner or later return to the US.

And ???